Managing Monday: Let's talk cable/cord management!

Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

• Yes and very OCD about it

Votes: 178 23.0%
  • Yes but not OCD about it

Votes: 451 58.3%
  • Meh I don't care too much

Votes: 105 13.6%
  • I do not care at all

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.7%

• Total voters

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried, but I just couldn't organize cables without limiting access when I wanted to remove something for cleaning or maintenance. I got tired of cutting cable ties and trying to route/reroute cables every time a pump died or just needed maintenance. Cables just kinda lay where I drop them now. The mess doesn't exist if the door to the stand are closed!

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With more people being at home more than normal I'm sure we're all checking things off the aquarium to do list! One thing I'm not the greatest at and something I have been putting off is making the cables and cords from my reef tank look better. Some people don't really care how it looks and some people want it as tidy as possible! Let's talk about that today!

1. Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

2. Do you have any useful cord managing tips for those of us who are not that great? Maybe share some product links to help us?

BONUS: SHARE a photo of your cable management so we can be inspired! :)

@Steve1310 has done a very nice job!
2d499c7f949dfc63413402a0f6910d66.jpg

The member who has this setup did an outstanding job but (there’s always a but) once an upgrade happens it’s going to be chaos and if he/she is OCD, it’s going to be mind blowing . A new apex EB 8 32, or 2016 brain will not fit. Now it’s going to be an overhaul on the entire panel. I mean, we mean well but when do cable management it’s always for the now with no vision on the future because us reefers are always updating our gear. But again OUTSTANDING job on this power board.

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes maintance way more easier. Just a pain to get the correct wires either below or under something that’s already routed but then have to reroute

Still needing to loom up the sump area

D9AEEDA3-1ECD-4511-86B5-84930CCB5B59.jpeg

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer all of the gear that can be in a separate space. I also like for the back of the cabinet to be organized as much as possible. One thing is I don't do is tie everything up to neatly behind the cabinet since you do need to remove stuff for maintenance. Since this pic I have added a Trident but is sitting on top of the cabinet
20200209_144314.jpg
20200209_144324.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do the whole pro cable management route and everything looked so pretty and neat until I had to replace a heater. I found out the hard way those velcro ties, zip ties and twist ties making everything look pretty were a huge pita when it comes time to replace/move something. I now subscribe to the out of sight out of mind (as long as nothing is tangled) mindset. Now when I need to clean something I simply unplug it, pull the cable out and I'm done. No more spending an hour just getting one piece of equipment out.

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am a little bit OCD but not over the top. I like the front of my 'control board' to look clean at the very least. Behind the door of my cabinet below is a fair bit of mess but the wires are still fairly well separated to where I can trace them back to the equipment.

8.jpg

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do the whole pro cable management route and everything looked so pretty and neat until I had to replace a heater. I found out the hard way those velcro ties, zip ties and twist ties making everything look pretty were a huge pita when it comes time to replace/move something. I now subscribe to the out of sight out of mind (as long as nothing is tangled) mindset. Now when I need to clean something I simply unplug it, pull the cable out and I'm done. No more spending an hour just getting one piece of equipment out.
I agree in my post above I mention that. Can be a pain when doing maintenance

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cord management for my controller cabinet was my #1 priority before doing anything else with my new RSR 750. I firmly believe looking at an unorganized system day after day affects how you feel and care about your system. And I know I'm not alone on this.

Controller Box.png

Installed with Shelf.png

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cord management for my controller cabinet was my #1 priority before doing anything else with my new RSR 750. I firmly believe looking at an unorganized system day after day affects how you feel and care about your system. And I know I'm not alone on this.

Controller Box.png

Installed with Shelf.png
this is my APEX dream right here!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With more people being at home more than normal I'm sure we're all checking things off the aquarium to do list! One thing I'm not the greatest at and something I have been putting off is making the cables and cords from my reef tank look better. Some people don't really care how it looks and some people want it as tidy as possible! Let's talk about that today!

1. Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

2. Do you have any useful cord managing tips for those of us who are not that great? Maybe share some product links to help us?

BONUS: SHARE a photo of your cable management so we can be inspired! :)

@Steve1310 has done a very nice job!
2d499c7f949dfc63413402a0f6910d66.jpg
I want that set up. Very nice @Steve1310

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am passionate perfectionist (seeker) about Cord Manangement.
( But always room for improvement which I have leared with each itteration )

Easy access and Maintenance (removing heaters, pumps for cleaning) is KEY goal for me.

2020-03-28_PerfectMove.jpg

I knew that above photo would get some attention.

ABOVE was during an In Wall Tank Upgrade
(I had to keep Tank upstairs-DirectlyAbove and one in basement running for a few weeks)

This was before. With 65 Gallon Tank.
2020-03-28_PerfectBefore.jpg

AFTER (BELOW) 65G->110G TANK Upgrade was done....
Wiring and Plumbing (Same equipement, plus more wires [MH-> 6xT5] )
Overall wiring got tidied up and access for maintenance improved.

2020-03-28_PerfectMoveAfter.jpg

This was my 3rd Take for Wiring/Plubing improvment for this Sump/Tank Room.

Few approaches:

-> Cable Trays (with slots and covers)
-> Releasable Zip Ties (A must)
-> Wire Looms (Split)
-> Ratcheting Kwik clips https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-100201540-_-300360555-_-N

-> In wall pockets with Hole Access (wires are tucked in loosely, and don't tangle)

-> The White Horizonatal/Vertical Large Square Condiuts (Hidden cut access holes, Hand sizes)
-> The Far Left Vertical Condiut hide pumbling from upstairs tank.
-> SQUARE Condiuts are (PVC Deck posts from Home Depot)

-> Those white panels are hinges to flip open for easy passthru wire runs)

2020-03-28_wiringPockets.jpg

ALSO..... THINK ELECTICAL SAFETY.

- > GFCI outlets
-> Wire drip loops
-> Splash guards/covers (to avoid splashes/spills/mist/salt creep) on Any Electrical Components.
-> and nothing HIGH VOLTAGE (ac cords/adapters) on flat surface where water may pool.....etc)

T
o protect your senstive equipment/wiring in case of leaks, spraying cracked hoses, etc).

A water Alarm ($17 for 3 pack and come with 3x9V battery too), Features Low Battery Alert (a must)
I have Apex Sensors to shut off return pumps, but these go anywhere.

I just tested them last night and did video below. Work perfect!!
( Yes.... I had a leak two days ago.... thus why I got them)

** Added IN my TIght Sump area, under the 110G Tank, one under subfloor of sump room, and one near RO reservoir where Float Sensor has failed, as it overfilled and flooded part of my basement **

Last edited:

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to drive all of you with OCD crazy...
9E1EBFDB-DC68-41B8-ADEA-01075B0AC2CA.jpeg

Now in reality my situation is not that bad, I was actually in the middle of trying to pull some equipment out of my “neater” “tidier” setup and this is what resulted. Not saying that the pretty cable management isn’t great, in my situation it was poorly implemented and cause 5 hours worth of work when I wanted to pull a couple old dosers who’s cables were hidden and tangled. Wasn’t that much fun.
F1126B86-CAFB-40C7-A836-7F19FD396494.jpeg

In the end thing it might not be the prettiest but for the most part things are separated and equipment is easy to swap in and out as needed.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controllers, cables more or less in place. Must important is to have them accessible to change equipment if necessary.
cables01.jpg
cables02.jpg

ramfublio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple of nano tanks. I’m in the build process for a new one. Here’s the beginning of the work.
with cables there I have these design goals

1. Nice looking (more likely to maintain)
2. Easy to manage (plug/unplug)
3. Intelligible (getting assistance)

with that here’s my present build

The acrylic tubes are for an AutoAqua ATO/AWC that has yet to be installed.
IMG_3596.jpg

CD5C72D8-4F38-4FA1-8FA8-CE9A3DD73B7A.jpeg

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am passionate perfectionist (seeker) about Cord Manangement.
( But always room for improvement which I have leared with each itteration )

Easy access and Maintenance (removing heaters, pumps for cleaning) is KEY goal for me.

2020-03-28_PerfectMove.jpg

I knew that above photo would get some attention.

ABOVE was during an In Wall Tank Upgrade
(I had to keep Tank upstairs-DirectlyAbove and one in basement running for a few weeks)

This was before. With 65 Gallon Tank.
2020-03-28_PerfectBefore.jpg

AFTER 110G TANK Upgrade was done....Wiring and Plumbing (Same equipement, plus more wires) got tidied up.

2020-03-28_PerfectMoveAfter.jpg

This was my 3rd Take for Wiring/Plubing improvment for this Sump/Tank Room.

Few approaches:

-> Cable Trays (with slots and covers)
-> Releasable Zip Ties (A must)
-> Wire Looms (Split)
-> Ratcheting Kwik clips https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-100201540-_-300360555-_-N

-> In wall pockets with Hole Access (wires are tucked in loosely, and don't tangle)

-> The White Horizonatal/Vertical Large Square Condiuts (Hidden cut access holes, Hand sizes)
-> The Far Left Vertical Condiut hide pumbling from upstairs tank.
-> Condiuts are (PVC Deck posts on clearance from Home Depot)

-> Those white panels are hinges to flip open for easy passthru wire runs)

2020-03-28_wiringPockets.jpg

And LAST but not least. THINK ELECTICAL SAFETY.

- > GFCI outlets
-> Wire drip loops
-> Splash guards/covers (to avoid splashes/spills/mist/salt creep) on Any Electrical Components.
-> and nothing HIGH VOLTAGE (ac cords/adapters) on flat surface where water may pool.....etc)

I like the first pic the best!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back