Managing Monday: Let's talk cable/cord management!

Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

• Yes and very OCD about it

Votes: 178 23.0%
  • Yes but not OCD about it

Votes: 451 58.3%
  • Meh I don't care too much

Votes: 105 13.6%
  • I do not care at all

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.7%

• Total voters

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200330_200349.jpg
20200330_200307.jpg

I like spaghetti. And please forgive the mess on the floor. In the middle of an upgrade.

Also I would love to have a nice clean cable routing setup, but I know as soon as I do I will have to pull something out and it will end up spaghetti again so I choose not to fight the inevitable.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am electrician by trade so it's my job to make it look like art, but there is a problem with this. Under normal circumstances in this hobby, there isnt much space to work with if you want to keep electronics hidden from normal views. In order to achieve this, all wires must be bundled into 1 run and velcroed up to make it look pretty. This works great for about a year and then you add a couple devices. You try to sneak them it but it just doesnt look right. Then in another year something goes bad so you got to undo your beautiful wrap and trace out whatever you are replacing. Cables get stretched out and it's never going to look as good as the original install. After a few more years you just say screw it and deal with the birdsnest.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With so many good ideas on R2R to follow and since setting up the new tank from scratch I really had no excuse not to do a tidy job .

There's a million reason why it makes sense to just get it nice and tidy from the get go, easy of maintenance, safety, replacing parts, even just turning off 1 item. And if course who doesn't like to see a nice tidy picture.

I used cable raceway that I purchased locally but I've added an amazon link to a similar product.

Credit where its due but I cannot for the life of my remember who I got this idea from as I've been using this for years now. But Thnx to that man

With the lighting cables I was lucky enough to be able to hide them inside the extruded aluminium diy light rack.

And, the last pic is what the cat likes to do when I like to play with cables

20200308_135508.jpg 20200331_124020.jpg 20200331_124042.jpg 20200331_124225.jpg 20200316_200446.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With so many good ideas on R2R to follow and since setting up the new tank from scratch I really had no excuse not to do a tidy job .

There's a million reason why it makes sense to just get it nice and tidy from the get go, easy of maintenance, safety, replacing parts, even just turning off 1 item. And if course who doesn't like to see a nice tidy picture.

I used cable raceway that I purchased locally but I've added an amazon link to a similar product.

Credit where its due but I cannot for the life of my remember who I got this idea from as I've been using this for years now. But Thnx to that man

With the lighting cables I was lucky enough to be able to hide them inside the extruded aluminium diy light rack.

And, the last pic is what the cat likes to do when I like to play with cables

20200331_124020.jpg 20200331_124225.jpg

@ylreefer -I really like how you floated your canopy over your Rimless Tank Like I want to do with a pair of my new Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixtures over my SCA Rimless 150 that I am getting ready to hang from my ceiling or use there Orphek Mounting Arm Kit! What all hardware did you use and did you make your canopy if you don't mind me asking?

51051996_1460980894036888_7594613012489568256_o.jpg

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
@ylreefer -I really like how you floated your canopy over your Rimless Tank Like I want to do with a pair of my new Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixtures over my SCA Rimless 150 that I am getting ready to hang from my ceiling. What all hardware did you use and did you make your canopy if you don't mind me asking?
I used extruded aluminium which I ordered from China using a Chinese system from Hong Kong. Unfortunately they don't ship outside if China but you can probably find that locally. The trim around the side is actually just white foamboard as its very light and easy to clean and remove. This is just stuck on with double sided tape to the light rack.

Below is a link of the same material I used so It looks like you can orderrin US.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer all of the gear that can be in a separate space. I also like for the back of the cabinet to be organized as much as possible. One thing is I don't do is tie everything up to neatly behind the cabinet since you do need to remove stuff for maintenance. Since this pic I have added a Trident but is sitting on top of the cabinet
20200209_144314.jpg
20200209_144324.jpg
Where did you get the power cords from? Looks very clean and sharp :cool:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OCD Scorecard:

1. Is your plumbing color coordinated - yes = 3, somewhat = 2, no = 1; I'm colorblind = 0
2. Is your plumbing perfectly parallel - yes = 3, somewhat = 2, no = 1; what's parallel = 0
3. Are all your tank modules and power-bricks mounted to a display board - yes = 3, somewhat = 2, no = 1; I'm allergic to Velcro = 0
4. How long does it take you to figure out which cord belongs to which piece of equipment - less than a minute = 3, a few minutes = 2, more than a few minutes = 1; hang on, still checking = 0
5. How many labels do you have on pipes, lines and wires - more than 20 = 3; between 10 and 20 = 2; less than 10 = 1; cannot find the labeler I bought = 0

FWIW, I self scored a 3 LOL.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have a pic....but just imagine the worlds largest rubber band ball

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some organization is a good thing. But with as much as I change and move around it’s tough to keep it perfect.

in the beginning I had this
9E0F2B31-5B62-4D09-95A5-0A2C70D94EC0.jpeg

then this, we can agree this was a step backwards. But I had to move things for room under my tanks dry side.
481ACF46-AC90-4341-AC39-07EEC6D302F5.jpeg

more changes
96AC6D2A-B0F7-4B79-80F4-19FCB021E573.jpeg

to this
F3BA5636-8181-4B52-BFC2-81D87BFF15DD.jpeg
I like the first setup best :)

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repurposed a cheap bookshelf

Even though the wires on the BRS DIY ATO are double wrapped (ties and tape), they remain unruly. Maybe my OCD will flair up one day and I will trim all that extra cord way and tighten it up. And yes, the cords are tagged using wire labels that print from a computer.

IMG_6360.jpg

I had all the extra wire wrapped and secured to the back wall, but the sheer weight the cords were too much pulling most of the adhesive anchors off and that's where they remain today. I'm lucky in the OCD is less concerned when it's out of sight. (but I know it's there!!!

IMG_5884.jpg

Speaking of which, I repurposed a piece of the cheap cardboard to cover up the front. Two cloth baskets in the lower half store my test kist and various equipement
IMG_0044.jpg

I think the bookshelf cost $30. and yes that is a bottle cap hot glued until I pick up a proper handle.

The Apex display is fix to the wall behind the tank (and the pvc is about to get a coat of blue paint. My guests can't see it but I can.

And my OCD friends, the books were moved to get the back side cabinet shot. They will be put back in size order and properly displayed in a few minutes.

IMG_5587.jpg

Deviant Nation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controllers, cables more or less in place. Must important is to have them accessible to change equipment if necessary.
cables01.jpg
cables02.jpg
You win an award for most creative use of a freezer shelf I have ever seen or heard of. That is perfect!

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behind and under my tank looks like a bomb went off (salt creep... dead crickets (pet frog)...) ugh it is not pretty. Don't even get me started on the cords.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repurposed a cheap bookshelf

Even though the wires on the BRS DIY ATO are double wrapped (ties and tape), they remain unruly. Maybe my OCD will flair up one day and I will trim all that extra cord way and tighten it up. And yes, the cords are tagged using wire labels that print from a computer.

IMG_6360.jpg

I had all the extra wire wrapped and secured to the back wall, but the sheer weight the cords were too much pulling most of the adhesive anchors off and that's where they remain today. I'm lucky in the OCD is less concerned when it's out of sight. (but I know it's there!!!

IMG_5884.jpg

Speaking of which, I repurposed a piece of the cheap cardboard to cover up the front. Two cloth baskets in the lower half store my test kist and various equipement
IMG_0044.jpg

I think the bookshelf cost $30. and yes that is a bottle cap hot glued until I pick up a proper handle.

The Apex display is fix to the wall behind the tank (and the pvc is about to get a coat of blue paint. My guests can't see it but I can.

And my OCD friends, the books were moved to get the back side cabinet shot. They will be put back in size order and properly displayed in a few minutes.

IMG_5587.jpg
If I had more patience I'd totally do something like this. But... I just set up a shelf to prop my light on... and it took at least two hours to assemble. Let's just say I did not inherit any building skills.

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added and removed sooo much equipment over the past 2 years that i cant keep up with cord management.... drives me crazy... but with only 1-2 hrs a day to play around with tanks, leaves me with little time to play w cords... i wont even show a picture of mine cuz its do embarrasing lol.... but it is at the top of my list when i get a weekend to myself! I do agree that you should be OCD with cord management, could prevent very dangerous situations.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back