Mandarin died

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be fern caulerpa. In itself not usually harmful and is a good source of food. It just has the possibility to respire carbon dioxide when it gets stressed due to lack of food or light. But I stress this is only a theory based on the lack of nitrates. Have you checked for phosphates?

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be fern caulerpa. In itself not usually harmful and is a good source of food. It just has the possibility to respire carbon dioxide when it gets stressed due to lack of food or light. But I stress this is only a theory based on the lack of nitrates. Have you checked for phosphates?
My kit doesn't have that test

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a 8 month old 40 breeder I bought it at a local fish store super skinny and sick. I thought it wouldn't make it but I made a brine shrimp buffet out of an old container and a peice of screen. I put baby brine shrimp in he sucks them off the screen and he has a supplemented meal. Only use fresh hatched brine shrimp. Brine shrimp that are older than 36 hrs old do not have much nutrients. I would say like others that you probably didnt kill it. It was dying and just finished dying in your tank.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe “Reef Maturity” is key, even with Pod and supplemental food they seem to struggle on fairly new tanks and after all the myths and legends developed by reefers is still a mystery to us all.

I usually shudder at fish stores when I see these fish inside a 7 x 7 cubicle, they usually look like the are broken in half of how skinny they look like, but the one thing I can say is that with today’s technology and advanced filtration the 1” of fish per gallon of water is outdated... As a matter of fact one of my LFS has a Red Mandarin in a 40 gallon reef and has been there for well over a year (Which seems to be a record on this species).

It is weird the way he ended up, I didnt read this thread fully, but it sure looks like it was burrowing or fixing to spawn... I honestly dont know.

Keep it up, we all loose a fish every now and then... Maybe you can try again further down the road.

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe “Reef Maturity” is key, even with Pod and supplemental food they seem to struggle on fairly new tanks and after all the myths and legends developed by reefers is still a mystery to us all.

I usually shudder at fish stores when I see these fish inside a 7 x 7 cubicle, they usually look like the are broken in half of how skinny they look like, but the one thing I can say is that with today’s technology and advanced filtration the 1” of fish per gallon of water is outdated... As a matter of fact one of my LFS has a Red Mandarin in a 40 gallon reef and has been there for well over a year (Which seems to be a record on this species).

It is weird the way he ended up, I didnt read this thread fully, but it sure looks like it was burrowing or fixing to spawn... I honestly dont know.

Keep it up, we all loose a fish every now and then... Maybe you can try again further down the road.
I did find a couple "egg" looking things where he was dead.. they are translucent brown

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find a couple "egg" looking things where he was dead.. they are translucent brown

It makes a little more sense to me now... Is not uncommon in fish to avoid feeding themselves while they are spawning; for a fish of this species that grasses permanently may have caused starvation waiting to lay her eggs... This is just me rambling though.

Keep your pod population and take your time to maintain the reef stable, you may fare well with a tank raised juvenile sooner than you think.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@juanrmattos, Dragonets are pelagic spawners, and don't stop eating to court and they don't lay eggs in the sand. You may have confused it with some species of Goby who do. Dragonets are not gobies, they are more closely related to seahorses.

Also, 1 year is also no where near a record. public aquaria have had various species these to live 7-8 years some over 10. We should expect normal life to be at least 4 years in captivity, if not much longer.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@juanrmattos, Dragonets are pelagic spawners, and don't stop eating to court and they don't lay eggs in the sand. You may have confused it with some species of Goby who do. Dragonets are not gobies, they are more closely related to seahorses.

Also, 1 year is also no where near a record. public aquaria have had various species these to live 7-8 years some over 10. We should expect normal life to be at least 4 years in captivity, if not much longer.

I stand corrected @pcon

Is just very far in between to hear about successful reef keeping of this particular species.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a difficult family of fish, that deserve the advanced-expert rating that they are given.

The dragonets do really well long term, in well established 150+ gallon displays. Typically with similarly large pod filled refugium. They are simply not a fish that probably should be approached in ones first year, or few years, of reef keeping. I suspect by the time tanks get to this size there usually are more noticeable fish in it to talk about, so the successes are under reported. Compared to the plethora of underprepared people putting them in small tanks <1 year old.

Not to say, keep them in young and or small tanks, can't be done but, it is difficult and requires a degree of luck.

Last edited:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much easier to order a captive bred that eats pellets. I have one in a BB, doing great, he searches out the pellets he was raised on. Also I dump 60,000 tisbe snack in once in a while.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was 2 yrs old but restarted with Tonga branch, didn’t phase him, 34g Red Sea Reefer 170.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 months is still fairly new for a dragonette. Plenty of pods to your eye does not mean a sustainable population for a Mandarin.

What size is the tank? What steps have you taken to mitigate disease? What is the ammonia, and temperature? Is the light schedule vastly different from the store you bought it from? Whats your feeding regimen? Are the parameters that you say stable or just todays reading, if you think they are stable how often have you tested? Do you have a hard glass top? How long was the fish in the store prior to coming home with you? Was there anything unusual in transit, drop the bag, high or low temperature, long transit or acclimation time? Have you observed any abnormal behavior? Was there any white spots, black spots, red areas, hazy areas, open wounds, torn fins? Were fish on the same system from the store showing signs of illness?
Excellent questions since dragnets are not the easiest fish in the pond to take care of especially mandarins.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i dont have any of those... at least i haven't seen any anywhere
Turn lights off at night and wait a while check with the light of your cellphone with all lights off It may be no bobit but can be something else... I find a gorilla crab before at my tank and believe me they are not good

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn lights off at night and wait a while check with the light of your cellphone with all lights off It may be no bobit but can be something else... I find a gorilla crab before at my tank and believe me they are not good
Ok ill do that tonight

Myinvert3dlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin in a 32 gallon tank would require supplemental feedings 2 - 3 times daily. You didn’t kill this one, the supply chain before you got him did, but you’ll have a lot of work keeping one alive in a small tank.
I don't fully agree with this. Maybe it depends on the tank, but my mandarin thrived in a 29G for a year (before upgrading to a larger tank) with a natural population of pods and would eat the shrimp and pellets fed to the other fish (which do require feeding 2-3x daily). He's incredibly chill and easy to care for. Maybe it depends on the individual fish as these guys clearly have the reputation of requiring expert care, but that has not been my personal experience.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't fully agree with this. Maybe it depends on the tank, but my mandarin thrived in a 29G for a year (before upgrading to a larger tank) with a natural population of pods and would eat the shrimp and pellets fed to the other fish (which do require feeding 2-3x daily). He's incredibly chill and easy to care for. Maybe it depends on the individual fish as these guys clearly have the reputation of requiring expert care, but that has not been my personal experience.
You don’t agree with it, but it’s exactly what you did for your mandarin.

Back