Mandarin Goby

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back after a LONG break.. I had a friend watching the tank. All my fish survived the summer but my mandarin goby is looking dangerously skinny and not active (I visited 3 weeks ago and he was fine). I can barely find any pods in my tank.. Is there anything I can make or try to feed him? Ive had him for over a year and its been totally fine. I was even planning on getting a female.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back after a LONG break.. I had a friend watching the tank. All my fish survived the summer but my mandarin goby is looking dangerously skinny and not active (I visited 3 weeks ago and he was fine). I can barely find any pods in my tank.. Is there anything I can make or try to feed him? Ive had him for over a year and its been totally fine. I was even planning on getting a female.
Does your LFS carry live pods? You can dump a bunch in and add phyto to your tank to help boost the population.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your LFS carry live pods? You can dump a bunch in and add phyto to your tank to help boost the population.

Closed - trying to contact some friends.

Im having a really difficult time with the tank right now, I'm so busy and the stress of my fish and corals isn't helping.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed - trying to contact some friends.

Im having a really difficult time with the tank right now, I'm so busy and the stress of my fish and corals isn't helping.
If you have a friend in the area with a healthy fuge you could get a chunk of chaeto from them.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a friend in the area with a healthy fuge you could get a chunk of chaeto from them.

I don't know that many people with reef tanks - is there anything else I can try?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that many people with reef tanks - is there anything else I can try?
My Mandy eats PE mysis now as long as it is drifting along the sand.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandy eats PE mysis now as long as it is drifting along the sand.
I was literally going to run to my LFS today for some advice and more frozen food but its closed ALL WEEKEND.. I also just don't have enough time in my day to go anywhere further than 1 hour away.

I have some dried blood worms, freshwater shrimp, and flakes. Possibly some frozen food. Im trying it all right now

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black or even white worms for fresh water fish.
Fish eggs like from rods , smaller the better.
Shrimp roe
Order pods on line.
Live Brine Shrimp
Frozen baby brine shrimp.

DAMMITKAI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering ASAP, thanks so much! Im so worried and I feel like its my fault

It happened to my algae blenny, I had algae in the tank but one day I walked by and he was a toothpick. He didn’t survive and it was hard to watch it happen. He wouldn’t eat anything. But yeah I actually just received a shipment from them yesterday with no issues.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it would be a good idea to buy a piece of live rock? Im going to redo my entire sump to make sure this doesn't happen again.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed the order, it seemed way too expensive but I don't care. I just hope he makes it until the packages come..

DAMMITKAI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed the order, it seemed way too expensive but I don't care. I just hope he makes it until the packages come..

Yeah it can be, I found most other folks charge more for less. Also, they have promos where it’s a BOGO or free brine shrimp and they do reward points. Poseidon’s Feast and apocalypse pods (when they grow..HUGE) are what I normally grab with some phyto.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to my algae blenny, I had algae in the tank but one day I walked by and he was a toothpick. He didn’t survive and it was hard to watch it happen. He wouldn’t eat anything. But yeah I actually just received a shipment from them yesterday with no issues.

The pods are coming soon, when they arrive what should I do? Spot feed? or just pour them in?

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pour em in. If you have a lot of other fish , put them in at night.

Did you find some frozen foods for the Mandy. That’s a high priority.
I tried feeding reef frenzy but he just wasn't interested.

Im really worried now, most of the time he just sits in the same place barely ever moving.. Doesn't even try to find food. But the pods just shipped and I'm hoping they will arrive tomorrow. I just hope he can make it through this next day without food

I also purchased AlgaeBarn's "Ultimate refugium starter" so I think the pod population will at least be able to survive

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%

Back