Mandarin in a 1 year old 90 gallon

jake296

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2023
Messages
51
Reaction score
14
Location
norway
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 90 gallon display up and running for a year now. Started with a combo of live and dry rock. I’ve been interested in a blue mandarin but I’m very reluctant in putting fish in my tank that can’t thrive. I don’t have a refrugium in the sump but I have access to and feed baby brine regularly to the tank. Has anybody else had good success without a refrugium on a 90 gallon/4 foot display long term with a blue mandarin?

There’s copepods and goodies all over the glass which is a good sign and makes me feel like the tank can support one. But I hear these mandarins can demolish a tank in no time and that’s my worry.

Thoughts?

TIA
 
Just to confirm, no other fish in the system?
It should be fine with no other livestock to compete for food with.
 
I’ve had a 90 gallon display up and running for a year now. Started with a combo of live and dry rock. I’ve been interested in a blue mandarin but I’m very reluctant in putting fish in my tank that can’t thrive. I don’t have a refrugium in the sump but I have access to and feed baby brine regularly to the tank. Has anybody else had good success without a refrugium on a 90 gallon/4 foot display long term with a blue mandarin?

There’s copepods and goodies all over the glass which is a good sign and makes me feel like the tank can support one. But I hear these mandarins can demolish a tank in no time and that’s my worry.

Thoughts?

TIA
How much rock do you have in the tank? Can you post a picture? Is there a sump but just no fuge?
*edit I see now there is a sump
 
I’ve had a 90 gallon display up and running for a year now. Started with a combo of live and dry rock. I’ve been interested in a blue mandarin but I’m very reluctant in putting fish in my tank that can’t thrive. I don’t have a refrugium in the sump but I have access to and feed baby brine regularly to the tank. Has anybody else had good success without a refrugium on a 90 gallon/4 foot display long term with a blue mandarin?

There’s copepods and goodies all over the glass which is a good sign and makes me feel like the tank can support one. But I hear these mandarins can demolish a tank in no time and that’s my worry.

Thoughts?

TIA
Mine was biota and raised on PE Mysis. Eats both pods and Mysis. Just add more pods from time to time to keep the pop up.
 
I’ve had a 90 gallon display up and running for a year now. Started with a combo of live and dry rock. I’ve been interested in a blue mandarin but I’m very reluctant in putting fish in my tank that can’t thrive. I don’t have a refrugium in the sump but I have access to and feed baby brine regularly to the tank. Has anybody else had good success without a refrugium on a 90 gallon/4 foot display long term with a blue mandarin?

There’s copepods and goodies all over the glass which is a good sign and makes me feel like the tank can support one. But I hear these mandarins can demolish a tank in no time and that’s my worry.

Thoughts?

TIA
If it’s the only exclusive pod eater, that works fine. IMG_0553.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new