Mango's First IM10G

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea..i might be going for Reefbreeders Prism. Are you putting your sensor on 3rd chamber? How high the water level goes?
I keep mine in the return pump chamber and I set the tank up first, get the water level where I want it after the water change and just adjust the optical sensor magnets on the ATO.

OP
OP
mango113

mango113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea..i might be going for Reefbreeders Prism. Are you putting your sensor on 3rd chamber? How high the water level goes?
Yes, I keep the sensor in the 3rd chamber with the return pump. I keep the water level in 3rd chamber about 1" lower than the water level in the 2nd chamber. Too low and I find microbubbles in my display; too high and I find the water gets stagnant there.

Absolutely love the tank, would love to have one. lucky you with the trumpet coral, i have a purple one with green interior, and tbh its pretty small and i havent seen too much growth, i never used to be able to tell if it was happy or not XD. its doing good though, wish it would split tho.
Thank you! I'm sure it's happy as long as it's puffy! I'll echo what tnw50cal said about feeding it. I've fed mine frozen mysis, TDO-pellets, algae pellets, reef roids, reef chili, and recently fauna marin LPS pellets. It devours everything. Definitely turn flow off though to allow time for the trumpet to envelope the food.

If you're looking to reduce phosphates, I'd recommend feeding frozen foods instead of pellets. I like pe calanus or lrs reef frenzy nano for a firefish and lps.
Thanks for the tip! I'll see what other types of frozen food my LFS has available. I'm sure that'll help raise my nitrates too while reducing phosphates.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years, everyone! The nano tank survived for 16 days with no human interaction. I set up a Wyze camera to monitor, and everything went well. My three other FW tanks were fine as well. Here's a screenshot of the tank on Christmas day. I taped a pair of orange lens sunglasses over the camera to balance the colors. You can see the frame in the top right due to the frame slipping slightly after I left.

IMG_8567 (Custom).PNG

FTS after I got back and before I started any maintenance. There was a slight film of algae on the glass, but honestly less than I expected, and it doesn't really show up in the picture. CUC must have been putting in work. There were only about 15 of the tiny brown flatworms on the glass, so I'm glad the population didn't explode in the past two weeks.
IMG_8604 (Medium).JPG

Top down shot of Euphyllia garden after turning off flow to start maintenance. I've never seen the torch so extended, so maybe this is a lesson that sometimes I just need to keep my hands out of the tank!
IMG_8608_c (Medium).jpg

Here's a screenshot of my tank params before and after my trip:
Capture.PNG

Alk consumption seems to be ~0.5 dKH weekly while Ca & Mg were stable. Nitrate & Phosphate levels are right about where I want them. I'll continue with my 15% weekly WC, but I may start dosing Tropic Marin AFR which I recently received.

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just received the ATO. The bracket for the tubing is not working out for the tank after the main pump shut off. Are you using the bracket to hold the tube? How do you have it nicely hide on the side of the light bracket? pic?

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in the return pump chamber and I set the tank up first, get the water level where I want it after the water change and just adjust the optical sensor magnets on the ATO.
How do use your bracket to hold the tube? I found that I have to use ziptie to hold it to the level I want not to submerged if the main return pump shut off. Pic?

OP
OP
mango113

mango113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just received the ATO. The bracket for the tubing is not working out for the tank after the main pump shut off. Are you using the bracket to hold the tube? How do you have it nicely hide on the side of the light bracket? pic?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not working after the main pump shut off. I'm using the attached black bracket to hold the clear tube, yes. Here's a picture of my sump area. I have my ATO line dumping into the 2nd reservoir. I make sure the output is above the waterline when the return pump is off and the water level in the sump rises. You can see the green sensor in the 3rd chamber where the return pump is.
IMG-8610 (Medium).jpg

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think the return bracket is different from what I have for Reefbreeders. Without adjustment, the return hose will be under water if pump shutoff. I need to use some ziptie to bring it up

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see. The Reefbreeders Prism ATO bracket does look like it holds the tube fairly low. Hope the ziptie solution works!
Actually I have contacted reefbreeders asking them if there is a different bracket. I think they said the tube is ok to be underwater when the return pump shut off but not when return pump running.
Make sense the siphon thing

Last edited:
OP
OP
mango113

mango113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since my last post, here's a pic from 4/17:
IMG-8973 (Medium).jpg

Another from 5/7:
IMG-9025 (Medium).jpg

The orange acan in the front hasn't fully extended in awhile, but it's started to grow ~5 new polyps around the heads. The pink goni isn't doing too well either.. it started to decline around the 6 month mark which is right around when I got my cleaner shrimp. The shrimp likes to pick at it. I have what looks like cyano on the sand bed although it's growth is slow. My biggest issue currently is Cladophoropsis. It grows slowly so I can manually remove a fair amount, but the growth is persistent and always comes back since I can't get rid of it all the way down to the runners. Vibrant doesn't seem to help at all. I may try Reef Flux of API Algaefix.

Nitrates are hovering between 5-10ppm, and phosphates are a just under 0.1ppm. I am using 1tsp of Phosguard weekly to keep phosphates down.

OP
OP
mango113

mango113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update! Quite a few things have happened in the past couple of months:
- Bought a house, so I had to relocate the tank. Only 10 minutes down the road thankfully.
- Got rid of the sand in the move so the tank is currently bare bottom
- Rehomed my cleaner shrimp after 8 months since it was a constant battle during coral feeding to stop the shrimp from picking at the corals
- Cladophoropsis algae has been the major issue.. dosed algaefix at first but that only made matters worse (my trochus mysteriously died, corals weren't fully extending).
- Tried ReefRX and that has worked great. I did one round in September and that got rid of 90% of the cladophoropsis. Did another round in mid October and 99% of it is gone now.
- My alk dropped to under 5dKH during the first treatment of ReefRX due to three weeks of no WCs. Did lots of WC and started dosing 1mL of Tropic Marin all-for-reef daily to maintain alk. After one month of manual dosing, I got a Kamoer X1 which has been working well. That'll be great during upcoming holiday travels.
- Changed my lighting routine to AI Saxby's setting but at a reduced intensity.
- Got an AI Nero 3 pump to increase flow around the tank. Both that and my new lighting schedule have really made my corals happy it seems.

9/14 - One week into my first ReefRx treatment. So much cladophoropsis.. you can see the translucent strands where it has started to die off. I removed a lot of the algae manually as well when i had the time.
IMG-9609 (Medium).jpg

10/7- All the detritus that was kicked up in the 5 seconds the Nero 3 was running full bore when I connected it for the first time.
IMG-9721 (Medium).jpg

10/23- Newest coral addition! A neon green torch with a mix of blue/pink tips.
IMG-9829 (Medium).jpg

11/10- Latest FTS @5PM
IMG-9939 (Medium).jpg

11/10- Latest FTS @9PM
IMG-9941 (Medium).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back