Marco rock questions/problems

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
A couple years ago i purchased a bunch of dry reefsaver rock and threw it in a new tank with any cooking cleaning or curing other than rinsing it to get the dust off it.
Its been a real struggle since the beginning, major diatoms, hair algae like no other and finally some sort of sludgy bacteria growing on it, ive had enough of it.
I took it all out and have it in a 55 gal barrel with heat and major water movement and and plan on leaving it for 6-8 weeks.
I never really like my aquascape and have plans to use some shelf rock and some 1 side flat foundation rocks along with superglue to do it, youve seen the vids what people are doing these days with that material.
So anyways my #1 question is when i recieve my new rock to do this build should i throw it in a barrel to let whatever is on it cook/cure out and then let the pieces dry out or try to build my structers first and then let them sit in barrels for 6-8 weeks.
Need some advice on how to proceed with this project.
Thanks.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem is there's phosphates in the rock. First rinse every peice with rodi water. Then put it in a container with rodi water and a pump. The rodi water will pull out the impurities that are in the rock . Let it cook for a while then bump and add new rodi water. Do that a few times. Then the rock should be good. Then you can cook it again in rodi salt water and add some dr. tims one and only and dr times wast away. That process with all my new rock.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to not battle this again I would use real reef rock. Just search real reef rock.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battle will continue using dry rock. Now, if you are willing to cure it for a few weeks as you said, it can help with getting bacteria levels up, and no light keeps algae away. However, once introduced, it will still have the same problems. I really like using a combination of live rock and cured rock to combat this.

Honestly, it will take a good balance in the system to keep algae out. It takes time and patience. I started one system with dry rock and will never do it again. Now I use fully cured rock or live rock.

My suggestion, cure it with some true live rock. Good luck!

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco rock is notorious for having phosphate in the rock. Tidlegardens did a video about how much phosphates leached out there marco rock an how mad the algae was and how long it took. I personally would never use marco rock.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that real reef rock is already cured. Read up about that rock. I have never has an algae problem when I use the real reef rock.

OP
OP
S

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to not battle this again I would use real reef rock. Just search real reef rock.
So the problem is there's phosphates in the rock. First rinse every peice with rodi water. Then put it in a container with rodi water and a pump. The rodi water will pull out the impurities that are in the rock . Let it cook for a while then bump and add new rodi water. Do that a few times. Then the rock should be good. Then you can cook it again in rodi salt water and add some dr. tims one and only and dr times wast away. That process with all my new rock.

Also that real reef rock is already cured. Read up about that rock. I have never has an algae problem when I use the real reef rock.
That rock is too expensive for what it is, id be as well off buying tampa bay saltwater as that.
I need alot of rock.
Im going to do a phosphate check on my barrel when i gey home today, see what it reads.

OP
OP
S

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the phosphates are in the rock not the water.
Wouldnt they leach out into the water ?
There is no light in the barrel for algae to consume it and the water temp is nearing 90.
I always kept an eye on phosphates and most of the time it was very low but id imagine the algae on the rocks kept it low.
I dont doubt your claim that its loaded with phosphate, i just am not ready to chuck it into the trash just yet.
Thanks for all the replies.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to get it all out at once or does it just keep leaching it.

Like I said. Rodi water will pull out the phosphates and anything else. But you will have to soak the rock a few times. Also make sure you have a pump circulate the water. I would keep the rock soaking in rodi water for 2 days then change out the rodi to fresh rodi water. Continue this process until the water is clear also you might be able to used a freshwater phosphates kit to see if there's still phosphates in the rock. I would do atleast 4 soaks. That's what I do with all my new pvc, rock, new aquariums, sumps. Anything new I get I always do a rodi soak before I use it. And I never have any problems that people have when setting up new tanks.

Quote Reply

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back