Marine Betta Injury-Snowflake Eel?

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a 5-6 inch marine betta and 13-14 inch snowflake eel in an 80 gallon Reef tank. They've been together since around February with no issues.
Today I noticed an injury on the marine betta, maybe a 1/8 inch wide scrape. It has a little bit of depth to the injury, but I wouldn't say he has a chunk taken out of him.
I couldn't get a picture, but would it be more likely that he got scraped on a rock or that the eel nipped at him?
They occupy the same area of the tank, with the eel living mostly under the rocks of the cave where the marine betta lives, and I've seen them feed together and hang out with no issues.
I'm not too concerned about the betta's overall health, as he is swimming fine, and is as interested in food as he ever is. I haven't seen him eat, but he normally prowls the tank when the lights are off and picks up left over chunks from the eel feeding.
But it would just be new behavior if the eel did pick at him.
Opinions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been an accidental bite during feeding. It may have been a bite to get the betta out of it's cave. It may be something else entirety.

OP
OP
Tyler Caviness

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it was probably the eel, but I probably don't need to be worried about the betta becoming eel food?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My betta got scared when someone went into the room and spooked it. It got a really nasty gash above its eye that was pretty deep. It healed quickly and you'd never know it happened, so they are very hardy and I wouldn't overly worry.
I also think it's unlikely the eel would try to eat it or hurt it on purpose, perhaps to try and motivate it to move but I doubt you'll have problems.

OP
OP
Tyler Caviness

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My betta got scared when someone went into the room and spooked it. It got a really nasty gash above its eye that was pretty deep. It healed quickly and you'd never know it happened, so they are very hardy and I wouldn't overly worry.
I also think it's unlikely the eel would try to eat it or hurt it on purpose, perhaps to try and motivate it to move but I doubt you'll have problems.

Thanks. I was just wondering if getting a gash on the rocks was an option, or whether the eel was the likely culprit as the only thing in the aquarium with teeth. Sounds like it could have been either, which isn't overly concerning. And at any rate, it's been less than a week and the scrape is healing up nicely.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was just wondering if getting a gash on the rocks was an option, or whether the eel was the likely culprit as the only thing in the aquarium with teeth. Sounds like it could have been either, which isn't overly concerning. And at any rate, it's been less than a week and the scrape is healing up nicely.

When mine had the gash you could tell it was from a shape on the rocks due to the shape. I'd try and picture your eels mouth and see if it looks like it would fit. You'd think that any bite would likely be an arc rather than a straighter scrape.

OP
OP
Tyler Caviness

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine had the gash you could tell it was from a shape on the rocks due to the shape. I'd try and picture your eels mouth and see if it looks like it would fit. You'd think that any bite would likely be an arc rather than a straighter scrape.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised that they would run themselves against the rocks hard enough to cut themselves.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised that they would run themselves against the rocks hard enough to cut themselves.
Sometimes if they are startled they will swim away before completely looking where they are going.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if they are startled they will swim away before completely looking where they are going.

Before mine settled in it would dart for cover and even though they have amazing low light sight, it's still hard to fit into a hole only slightly larger than itself at speed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back