Marine Betta...

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO semi impulse buy..4 months ago I bought a marine betta a TINY one like 1/2 inch.
I QT him...for 3 weeks he was eating fine no issues, no signs of disease. Liked hanging out the in PVC pipe a lot but still nothing else in there, what else is a fish to do?
Moved him to DT, and He totally DISAPPEARED for two weeks. I was sure he died..checked chems those still normal but ok system just handled it? did a 20% water change just in case.. Another two weeks later he pops out.

I literally Never see this fish, havnt seen him eat since the Q tank. He's out right now seems to be coming out LATE at night only and even then only once in a while...he's grown a LOT(pushing two inches now) so clearly eating but still.

They dont always act this way do they? They max out at 8 inch he should be the tank dom here.... next largest possible max growth is the female clown and still thats like 4 inches. Everyone else is pretty much grown as much as they will.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a betta for you, they find a burrow to hide in and stay there most of the day. He might get better as he gets bigger and has less places to hide

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marine betta for over a year now. It only start coming out more frequent in the pass 2 months. So hiding all the time is perfectly normal behavior.

In the pass 2 months I start making frozen food into 3/8" cube, for easy and consistent portion. That size fits its mouth, and he show great interests in it, and started to come out to grab a piece during feeding. After a while, he even swim out around feeding time to see if foods arrive. But even then, during non feeding hours, he stay in his corner most of the time.

Also because of how much he like to hide, during my last rescaping, I deliberately eliminate vision dead corner, so that I can see him from some angel no matter where he hides.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine bettas are peaceful and reclusive, so never will be the dominant fish in the tank, even when full grown.

But they are a great fish. Over time they get bolder, but never outgoing.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for a few years and it's not reclusive at all. It's now 7 inches or so and cruises the tank most of the day. Due to their secreted lifestyle I made plenty of overhangs and caves for it, so it can hide if it wants and the bottom of the tank is much darker. I trained it to eat when the pumps went off, so as soon as they do out it comes ready for food.
In nature they mimic eels by sticking their head in a hole and seeing the day out. This is why they have the beautiful eyes pot on the rear and why they are most active at dawn and dusk. If you want to see more then you can change your lighting so you have more blue at night. In my tank I have an extended moonlight period where it really patrols the tank higher up, where it doesn't venture much during the day.

As for feeding, because it's a predator I only feed a few times a week but bigger meals. When small I fed more often but noticed all the bristle worms disappeared in the tank and saw them eating these. It also took pods. I wouldn't be overly concerned if it's shy to begin with as these can easily live several decades and you will definitely see more of it in the future.

hbetanzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please post a picture of your betta???

OP
OP
Untamedrose

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like this
marine-betta2.jpg

Can someone please post a picture of your betta???

Gary Weber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marine beta that I’ve had for a couple of years now. Not shy and good eater. Just noticed in the past couple of days some missing scales on the gills and front 1/3 of his body. What is this and how do I fix it?

sdbdrz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Marine beta in a 180g for about 12 years. I would go many months without seeing him. When I did see him it was very briefly. In my experience they are very reclusive.

Very beautiful fish.

tom g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a marine betta purchased him at a inch or so , then he disappeared .. one day 1.5 years later I was like what the heck is that , it was him I totally thought he got killed or dead .. so I stopped looking cause he was so small … now he does the same very reclusive . but gets braver and braver hes about 5 in now , hes biggest fish in my tank and the most beautiful fish … but wish he would be front and center ..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.0%
Back