Marine Biologist

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Human Resources and a full time job. I am seriously considering going back to school to follow my dreams and pursue a career in Marine Biology. I was wondering if there may be any current Marine Biologists or someone who is currently enrolled in a program here on R2R that may be willing to offer some advice or answer some questions.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

SeriousBothBronco-size_restricted.gif

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im actually attending university of alabama double majoring in Marine Bio/Biology. One of the perks to their program is sending a summer at dauphin island where you work hands on in the laboratory. I am now just starting to take some of the funner classes lol.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually attending university of alabama double majoring in Marine Bio/Biology. One of the perks to their program is sending a summer at dauphin island where you work hands on in the laboratory. I am now just starting to take some of the funner classes lol.
Well I know who to bug about biology stuff now ;)

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could be called a marine biologist. I have my PhD in marine biology and I am currently working as a scientist. There are so many specialties in bio that I think of myself as a bioinformatician/evolutionary biologist that happens to work on marine systems. I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

awesome! Are you planning on specializing in any particular area after school?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practice. Read books. Think about what area of interest you want to focus on. Practice. Read more books. Think about your current knowledge-based and expand on it is a great way to get ahead and further your enjoyment of biology. I first graduated as a music teacher and realized biology is my thing.

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could be called a marine biologist. I have my PhD in marine biology and I am currently working as a scientist. There are so many specialties in bio that I think of myself as a bioinformatician/evolutionary biologist that happens to work on marine systems. I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

Thank you! Very early in my research phase but looking for a starting point because as you said, there are so many specialties. The hobby has helped me uncover just how fascinated I am with marine life. I truly enjoy testing water chemistry, dialing in dosing, monitoring coral and fish behavior, uncovering why things are happening, etc. and doing this for a living would be a dream. So again, looking for a place to start in making the dream a reality.

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practice. Read books. Think about what area of interest you want to focus on. Practice. Read more books. Think about your current knowledge-based and expand on it is a great way to get ahead and further your enjoyment of biology. I first graduated as a music teacher and realized biology is my thing.

So glad you said that. That you started in a different field then followed your passion into biology. Did you go back to school? Assuming this would be required.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad you said that. That you started in a different field then followed your passion into biology. Did you go back to school? Assuming this would be required.
Yes I did in oregon. I was frusterated with myself at first but grew accustomed to the change and accepted that it truly was a great choice. I gave myself a hard time for going back to school but I am alot happier now. If biology is your thing and rely want it do it don't hold your self back.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awesome! Are you planning on specializing in any particular area after school?

As of right now I haven't thought about it yet. Im still trying to take classes that would expose me to some of the field research so I can then narrow down what I should do.

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did in oregon. I was frusterated with myself at first but grew accustomed to the change and accepted that it truly was a great choice. I gave myself a hard time for going back to school but I am alot happier now. If biology is your thing and rely want it do it don't hold your self back.

I can see that and that is definitely a current mental roadblock for me. Anticipating the frustration of knowing I’ve already done this once and graduated and now I’m starting again. Did you keep working your current full time job when you went back to school?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back