Marine blood worm, sandworm

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was curious if anyone in the maine( or other areas these are fished with) has experience with the blood worm Glycera brevicirris or the sand worm Alitta virens. where to find them, if they can be shipped, what they eat.

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what im looking for

Bloodworm.jpg

Ragworm.jpg

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these worms inhabit intertidal mudflat and sandflat with relatively fine substrate. They are also predatory, so it'd need to be a species-only tank if you don't want your fish and invertebrates ending up dead.

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these worms inhabit intertidal mudflat and sandflat with relatively fine substrate. They are also predatory, so it'd need to be a species-only tank if you don't want your fish and invertebrates ending up dead.
Id keep them in a seperate tank with nothing im pqrticularly attatched to. Would they be ok with a sand based subsrate vs mud?

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id keep them in a seperate tank with nothing im pqrticularly attatched to. Would they be ok with a sand based subsrate vs mud?
I'd do more research on their natural habitat. They may not do well in coarser substrate, which might be too rough on their soft skin. Possibly the finer CaribSea sands.

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do more research on their natural habitat. They may not do well in coarser substrate, which might be too rough on their soft skin. Possibly the finer CaribSea sands.
Ive seen that people farm them in both bare bottomed and sand type substrates it seems. Diet shouldnt be an issue sinxe they prey mostly on other invertebrates but also are scavengers so shouldnt be to hard to feed.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bait shop here on Long Island will have them. I mostly surf fish now with lures, last time I used them was years ago, I think I paid $5 for a dozen. A few months ago I picked up a cube pack of chopped Sandworms from a company called Pro Salt in New Jersey. I've never seen my fish react to food like that, it was like a feeding frenzy, probably because Sandworms are very bloody and oily. I haven't been able to find it again at the lfs and it's too costly to have it shipped from the company. I've been meaning to pick up a box of Sandworms next time I'm at the Tackle shop to feed to my fish. I'm doing a lot more fishing now that it's Striper season so I should be going to a Tackle shop soon, if I pick up a box I'll PM you and maybe we could work out something so I can send you a few.

OP
OP
S

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bait shop here on Long Island will have them. I mostly surf fish now with lures, last time I used them was years ago, I think I paid $5 for a dozen. A few months ago I picked up a cube pack of chopped Sandworms from a company called Pro Salt in New Jersey. I've never seen my fish react to food like that, it was like a feeding frenzy, probably because Sandworms are very bloody and oily. I haven't been able to find it again at the lfs and it's too costly to have it shipped from the company. I've been meaning to pick up a box of Sandworms next time I'm at the Tackle shop to feed to my fish. I'm doing a lot more fishing now that it's Striper season so I should be going to a Tackle shop soon, if I pick up a box I'll PM you and maybe we could work out something so I can send you a few.
Thatd be awesome!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back