MARINE BUFFER VS KALKWASSER VS ALL FOR REEF

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have a 140 gallon softy/RFA tank and was wondering which product would be best for me and if you could explain the differences between the products.

Currently I use marine buffer in my ATO and i started getting coraline algae ( never happened before)

This makes me question of Kalk and all for reef if marine buffer + water changes ever 2 weeks is doing growing coralline algae

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All for reef replenishes not just alkalinity but calcium, magnesium and many of the needed traces including iron, strontium, boron, etc. it doesn’t have an effect on pH toe her than a small decline when you first dose it in the morning.

Kalkwasser impacts pH a bit by raising it. And of course helps stabilize alkalinity.

Reef buffer raises pH, alkalinity and calcium as far as I understand.

All for reef is great for most tanks in particular if you’re not super into doing water changes (I am not so it’s my additive of choice). And it’s a single bottle to deal with that I like.

OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef replenishes not just alkalinity but calcium, magnesium and many of the needed traces including iron, strontium, boron, etc. it doesn’t have an effect on pH toe her than a small decline when you first dose it in the morning.

Kalkwasser impacts pH a bit by raising it. And of course helps stabilize alkalinity.

Reef buffer raises pH, alkalinity and calcium as far as I understand.

All for reef is great for most tanks in particular if you’re not super into doing water changes (I am not so it’s my additive of choice). And it’s a single bottle to deal with that I like.
So if i use AFR how would i boost the pH ? Do i have to use another something else ?

OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem. Marine buffer is by far the worst choice of those three. I do not recommend it for a Reef Tank. The borate in it makes it a poor choice for maintaining reef alkalinity
i’m knew to dosing what do you recommend?
The easier the better, Thanks!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, pretty universally agreed Kalkwasser only can run just fine until tank demand out paces your evaporate rate or ability to dose a “ practical” amount

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ibdid kalkwasser for a few months but found it to be just too messy. Bucket and pumps all coated in the ****. Had to clean pump all the time. I just use all for reef but as others said it has no effect on ph. My ph justs sits at 8.1 all the time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m knew to dosing what do you recommend?
The easier the better, Thanks!
There are many ways to supplement calcium and alkalinity, and each has pros and cons. I used kalkwasser for 20 years.

This has more;

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 116 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back