Marine pure in wet dry trickle filter

G puffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back in the hobby. I have had several Fowlr tanks before my last being a 220 oceanic. Been about 5 or so years since I disassembled it. I have a 374 gallon acrylic tank that I am finalizing with the builder (envision acrylics) as well as a big 5’x18”x18” wet dry trickle filter with a slide out tray for floss and big area for my big skimmer. I saved all my old equipment and right before I took a break from the hobby I switched from bio balls to marine pure balls. I have been doing a lot of reading and there is a lot of mixed reviews on the marine pure. What are thoughts on using the marine pure balls in wet dry area of sump? I appreciate any tips/knowledge as stuff seems to have changed since I was playing with saltwater. I will be adding pictures of this build however I am brand new to the forum and still navigating around looking for the build thread area.

OP
OP
G puffer

G puffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the easy solution however I am a day or two away from sending the check for the tank/sump so not sure if there is much point in having James build a wet dry chamber if I need to submerge the marine pure balls.I always had it in my mind that simply replacing plastic bio balls with marine pure balls would be a slick setup because I would have the flow; but too much air it sounds like. I could always drop the egg crate floor of the wet dry chamber so the marine pure balls stay more submerged but then I have a diffuser on top for no reason.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the easy solution however I am a day or two away from sending the check for the tank/sump so not sure if there is much point in having James build a wet dry chamber if I need to submerge the marine pure balls.I always had it in my mind that simply replacing plastic bio balls with marine pure balls would be a slick setup because I would have the flow; but too much air it sounds like. I could always drop the egg crate floor of the wet dry chamber so the marine pure balls stay more submerged but then I have a diffuser on top for no reason.
Do you already have the wet-dry sump? If not I would bag that idea and get a modern design sump.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes back in the day wet dry was the tech and today it’s no longer. All wet is the key except the spill over into a sock ,sponge or some other mechanical media . Personally if you already ordered it I’m sure you can either modify it or leave it the way it is but just lose the dry aspect . Your skimmer if you use one puts enough oxygen into your water .

OP
OP
G puffer

G puffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the custom acrylic guy 2 hours north of me and I sent him dimensions I would like on display and sump. I’ll be completely honest, I’m not sure what a modern sump design is these days for fish only. I have always had good luck with bulk floss from pinkyfilters so that was my plan for mechanical to remove the big debris. From there I was just planning on an area for marine pure balls, enough room to slide out a tray to replace floss easily and then a big area for my skimmer. I already have a vertex alpha 250 that I like a lot that was too large for the bio load of my last tank. I have a 80 watt ho Pentair uv. A couple big reactors with left over fancy carbon and gfo from BRS. I am open for suggestions and really value your opinions.

OP
OP
G puffer

G puffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up what you guys are putting down, I just need to modify my design a little bit. I think I can just drop the floor if the bio media chamber way down to keep the balls submerged but keep the flow rate high.

OP
OP
G puffer

G puffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want to share pictures of their filtration, that is my favorite part of this hobby.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the custom acrylic guy 2 hours north of me and I sent him dimensions I would like on display and sump. I’ll be completely honest, I’m not sure what a modern sump design is these days for fish only. I have always had good luck with bulk floss from pinkyfilters so that was my plan for mechanical to remove the big debris. From there I was just planning on an area for marine pure balls, enough room to slide out a tray to replace floss easily and then a big area for my skimmer. I already have a vertex alpha 250 that I like a lot that was too large for the bio load of my last tank. I have a 80 watt ho Pentair uv. A couple big reactors with left over fancy carbon and gfo from BRS. I am open for suggestions and really value your opinions.
I just use live rock , a skimmer and mechanical filtration socks (not in that order ) in my sump . BRS has all kinds of pictures of sumps that they sell , some are equipped with a refugiums etc.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 60x24x18 sumpd I built for my 300

Attachments

• 300 sump 60x24x18.jpg
    300 sump 60x24x18.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 300 sump filter cups area.jpg
    300 sump filter cups area.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 62

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia -> nitrate an aerobic process

nitrate breakdown is an anaerobic process.

Wet/drys are no longer used because, while they’re great at keeping ammonia in-check, they aren’t so great at reducing nitrate. And given the general goal of low nitrate, wet/dry filters are no longer used.

I don’t think it’d be a huge problem with a Fowlr tank though, since nitrate is only going to spur algae growth. And that can be mitigated using other methods.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank! James built me a beautiful 525g center overflow tank. Great workmanship, and came really well packed and protected. Im no help on the sump as I use a 50 and 150 gallon rubbermaid troughs for the sump (its in the basement below the tank). Do use marinepure balls and bricks. Id only use the balls. Everytime I touch a brick now (1 year date), it crumbles off pieces. So right now I jave them holding up my skimmer so it's at the right height.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the 3 big boxes of sera siporax. Gonna soak them in saltwater w microbacter 7 for a day and then add them to my sump..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back