First Reef Tank Biocube 32

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I am new to the Aquarium Hobby, have always loved reef tanks and have decided that I want to try my hand at it. So of course I jump with both feet into the deep end and try to set myself up for success. Been lurking for a little bit during my learning process (Primarily BRS/SWA and other Beginner Tank build series on YouTube) and was deciding if I wanted to post a Build thread or not. I decided the advice and conversation would benefit my entry into the Hobby!

So here is what I have put together!

5 Stage RO/DI Station with 2x 32gal Brutes. 1 RO/DI. 1 Salt (Tropic Marin Pro Reef).

Display Tank - BioCube 32 LED
Eheim Jager 100w X2 in first chamber. (One set at 77 as the main heater. One set at 75 for backup if the primary fails off... will still maintain 75.)
Inkbird ITC 308. Set for 78. (I chose this one because it has heating and cooling plugs. I know BioCubes can have high temp problems, so planning ahead if I have to add a fan.)
I am using the Internal Eheim thermometers to control the temps. The Inkbird for failure recovery if the Eheim fails on... it will cut power at 78.
InTank Media Basket in 2nd Chamber (Left half empty at the moment. Don't know what I want to do here yet. Probably Cheato at some point. Planning to run Pinky floss and carbon on the top shelf. Rest is full of 25 MarinePure Balls. (Is this too high flow area for ceramic media? Should I move it to the empty half or 1st/3rd chamber and use the lower half of media basket for Chaeto?)
Sicce 1.5 in 3rd chamber.

Hygger 3400 GPH Wavemaker. Removed. I didn't like the fish guard on there because it just trapped food and I don't like the larger 'intake' openings.

Hygger Mini 1600 GPH Wavemaker Ill post the settings after I have a chance to play with them.

~25lbs Dry Rock
Fiji Pink Sand

Quarantine/Hospital Tank
10 Gal Aqua Culture
AquaClear 30 (Should I put the 5 Marine Pure balls in the filter or leave them in the tank?)
Eheim Jager 50w
5 MarinePure Balls in Main tank.

As for my Cycles, (I am trying to cycle both tanks)
Both tanks got wet on Sat 4/15. Got the RODI water in both, Added salt and waited 24hrs for the salt to mix. Added Turbo 900 and Ammonia to 2ppm to both on Monday 4/17. ( I plan getting my clowns and next 1/2 fish at same time... clowns directly to empty main... other(s) in QT (Depends if LFS has 2 fish in same tank currently), so trying to cycle both)
Seeing 2 different issues in the two different tanks.
QT seemed to be stuck for a while ... even with the Turbo. Originally added 2ppm and although it dropped from 2ppm to 0.75 pretty quickly, it remains at 0.75 since day 3 of cycle.
Display seems to be stuck on the Nitrite stage. I can get rid of Ammonia without issues, but the Nitrites don't seem to be moving (Up or down as I was adding 1ppm of ammonia every 3rd day to make sure my ammonia loving bacteria doesn't die waiting for the nitrite bacteria to decide to come in. I guess since the Nitrites aren't rising, the bacteria is working .... just slowly. I realize its only been 9 days (Although seeing all the 7-10 day cycle threads I guess my expectation was a little high, and I only have the API kits (So it can be hard to tell the higher Nitrite levels.) So just trying to be patient. Talked through it with my LFS and was advised to start 'Feeding' the tank instead of use bottle Ammonia as it would give a more gradual ammonia feed as the food breaks down and the Nitrite loving bacteria needs a little phosphates. Started that yesterday 4/26 with Seachem Marine Plus Flakes 1 pinch every day.

As of Yesterday, my chemistry is:
Display -
Ph 8.0 (Remaining very stable)
Ammonia - 0 (Added 1 pinch flakes post test),
Nitrite 2.0 (Again harder to tell with API. Ordered Aquavital Marine 5in1 strips to try and confirm (And they are a quick test for future use anyway)
Nitrates - I don't test this yet as I was advised very early that most tests cant read a proper Nitrate level when there are Nitrites present.
Salinity - 34

QT -
Ph 8.1
Ammonia - 0.75
Nitrites - 0.5
Salinity 34

Ill start posting Pics here of the test results .... gives me a second way to really track.

As for my future plans for the tank it will be a Softie/LPS tank (Torch/Hammer/Zoa/Acans/Leathers primarily) I really don't see the draw in SPS, but to each their own I guess.)

As for fish, My plans are:
2 clowns (Hoping to get 2 different looking to tell them apart. Maybe a Normal and Carmel/Chocolate or Orange Misbar. The Wyoming Whites seem to be reasonable at my LFS too.)
1 or 2 Cardnialfish (1 Banggai and 1 Pajama) Although not set on both yet. Depends on the second color of the clown. The Blennie and the Cardinals seem to be similar in color and want a little variety. If the 2nd clown is darker, that would make 3/4 darker fish.
Royal Gramma
Lawnmower Blennie
Mandarin (I know these are pretty picky eaters, and I plan on trying to culture Phyto and Pods to keep it fed. Hope to really seed the tank with pods and get the cultures going to make sure he will stay fed before picking one up. Also realize it might be 6-9 month mark and thats ok.)

7 is probably pushing it for BC32, I will evaluate as I go. If I don't end up with 2 cardinals leaving just 6 fish, what would you suggest for a 7th if any for tank position and color variety? Clowns will of course be first, but any suggestions for order after that is of course welcome.

CUC looking at red/blue leg hermits, Trochus and Nessarius Snails and then a cleaner shrimp.

Look forward to the conversations and feedback and to become a proper part of this community!

Display Tank 2.jpg Quarantine Tank.jpg Water Change Station.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10 of Cycle
Display Tank
1682631417830.png

Ph - Still good at 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - I read that somewhere between 2 and 5. Still not moving just like the prior 7 days.

QT
1682631507549.png

Ph - 8.0 Stable
Ammonia - 0.5 Down a little, I read it just a little below 1 yesterday and recorded 0.75
Nitrite - 0.5 Same as yesterday. We are seeing a little here which is encouraging.

I have 1 maybe 1.5 oz of Turbo900 left. I was thinking of adding it to the QT, but I'm going to save it since the QT seems to be moving even if it is slower than I would like. I could add the rest to my display...... although I know the Ammonia Bacteria is working well. I'll save it for now i guess.

I'll continue to be patient.

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long weekend. Friday night, DT was still showing just a little nitrites.

1682941167151.png

Saturday, morning... everything came back clear. (Forgot to take a picture. Im a horrible poster) Put in enough ammonia for a little over 1.0. Left it for Sunday. Sunday morning, everything came back looking good again. (Again no picture for you all) Performed my water change and then went to my local LFS and picked up

1 Orange Clown
1 Wyoming White Clown
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Nasarius
2 Hermits (Blue and Red Leg)

1682941395126.png

Everything survived the night (Maybe, I haven't seen the snails since they burrowed)

(My son wouldn't move for the picture.)

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we are 1 week into the new tank. All the chemistry is looking great and in line with parameters.

Everyone has been named by the kids. I was a little nervous because I didn't want something to happen week 1, but I think everyone is still alive! (The Cleaner molted today and we thought the shrimp died until I pulled the shell out and saw it was empty.) I also haven't seen the Nasarius, but I know thats pretty normal. I see a snorkel every now and then. I've ordered some empty shells from saltwateraquarium.com and put them in there for new hermit homes. I also run the 2nd Channel lights for 4 hours per day and am getting a little ugly phase. I've been dosing Microbactor Clean to help, but don't really mind because I know I will have to go through it at some point. I plan to get pods and coral (Maybe a hammer and or torch. Possibly a Mushroom/Leather and a Zoa or two. My local reefing group is having a swap so I will look to see what is being offered.) for DT next weekend and 1-2 more fish to put in QT to add in 4 weeks (Hopefully). Start building up the diversity.

Wyoming White Clown - Wyatt
Orange Clown - Pearl
Cleaner Shrimp - Sebastian
Hermit with Black Shell - Molly
Hermit with White shell - Gill
Nasarius1 - Sheldon
Nasarius 2 - Shelly

Had to take a corner shot to get most of my inhabitants in there.

1683504521489.png

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long weekend. Friday night, DT was still showing just a little nitrites.

1682941167151.png

Saturday, morning... everything came back clear. (Forgot to take a picture. Im a horrible poster) Put in enough ammonia for a little over 1.0. Left it for Sunday. Sunday morning, everything came back looking good again. (Again no picture for you all) Performed my water change and then went to my local LFS and picked up

1 Orange Clown
1 Wyoming White Clown
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Nasarius
2 Hermits (Blue and Red Leg)

1682941395126.png

Everything survived the night (Maybe, I haven't seen the snails since they burrowed)

(My son wouldn't move for the picture.)
I'm glad he's in the picture! His face is priceless. :)

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we are 1 week into the new tank. All the chemistry is looking great and in line with parameters.

Everyone has been named by the kids. I was a little nervous because I didn't want something to happen week 1, but I think everyone is still alive! (The Cleaner molted today and we thought the shrimp died until I pulled the shell out and saw it was empty.) I also haven't seen the Nasarius, but I know thats pretty normal. I see a snorkel every now and then. I've ordered some empty shells from saltwateraquarium.com and put them in there for new hermit homes. I also run the 2nd Channel lights for 4 hours per day and am getting a little ugly phase. I've been dosing Microbactor Clean to help, but don't really mind because I know I will have to go through it at some point. I plan to get pods and coral (Maybe a hammer and or torch. Possibly a Mushroom/Leather and a Zoa or two. My local reefing group is having a swap so I will look to see what is being offered.) for DT next weekend and 1-2 more fish to put in QT to add in 4 weeks (Hopefully). Start building up the diversity.

Wyoming White Clown - Wyatt
Orange Clown - Pearl
Cleaner Shrimp - Sebastian
Hermit with Black Shell - Molly
Hermit with White shell - Gill
Nasarius1 - Sheldon
Nasarius 2 - Shelly

Had to take a corner shot to get most of my inhabitants in there.

1683504521489.png
I have a coral banded (one of my first stock in my Biocube 29, which is now 8 month old). He molts every 28 days like clockwork. Finding the first molt was a bit terrifying. LOL

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and Phyto start tonight! (Just waiting until after the evening feeding.) Hopefully I can develop a great pod population as part of CUC and for a future Mandarin. (Planning on culturing both eventually.)

1683823372798.png

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a frag swap with the local reefing community. Picked up a few zoa frags and a mushroom frag.

Also added a Royal Gramma and a Lawnmower Blenny (And a little bit more CUC.) I know its still early in my tank life and I have added a lot pretty fast. Everything I have so far should be pretty hardy, but its still just 2 weeks. This will be my last change to the tank for a while to let things stabilize and the coraline algae to begin to grow to be ready for a few LPS.

The Gramma has found a nice hidey hole in a rock and comes out mostly during feedings.
Gramma Hole.JPG

Gramma out and about.jpg

The Blenny likes to find places to sit and has already started going at my Diatoms/Algae.
Blenny.jpg

The kids have named the new fish.
Royal Gramma - Sunset
Lawnmower Blenny - Blenny (Just could find a better name)

Attachments

• Gramma Hole.JPG
    Gramma Hole.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 23
  • Gramma Hole.JPG
    Gramma Hole.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 22
  • Gramma out and about.jpg
    Gramma out and about.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 27

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a frag swap with the local reefing community. Picked up a few zoa frags and a mushroom frag.

Also added a Royal Gramma and a Lawnmower Blenny (And a little bit more CUC.) I know its still early in my tank life and I have added a lot pretty fast. Everything I have so far should be pretty hardy, but its still just 2 weeks. This will be my last change to the tank for a while to let things stabilize and the coraline algae to begin to grow to be ready for a few LPS.

The Gramma has found a nice hidey hole in a rock and comes out mostly during feedings.
Gramma Hole.JPG

Gramma out and about.jpg

The Blenny likes to find places to sit and has already started going at my Diatoms/Algae.
Blenny.jpg

The kids have named the new fish.
Royal Gramma - Sunset
Lawnmower Blenny - Blenny (Just could find a better name)
Nice new frags!

ksanchez1230

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see your tank coming along! I love seeing new tanks start out and then watching their progress. I also have a Biocube 32 that I have had for 2 years now. It is my first ever reef tank. Although I am starting to run out of room so I eventually want to upgrade lol.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a nice picture of 3 of the 4 fish! Glad to see the Gramma out and about when its not feeding time. I also picked up a finger leather to add a little depth. Everything is running good!

3 Fish pic.jpg
The gramma is great looking!

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next two additions were purchased and are in quarantine for the next couple weeks. Please meet 'Opal' the purple firefish and 'Sapphire' the Springeri Damsel. I was planning on bringing home a Banggai Cardinalfish, but was advised by the LFS associate that they don't do well as singles in tanks. For some reason I had not come across that bit of information. We talked about my tank, what was in it and what was planned, and I settled on a Springeri. They are both just sitting behind my PVC elbow right now. Hopefully they will become more active in a few days.

QT New Fish Far.jpg

QT New Fish Close.jpg

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a weekend.
First I went to my first Convention. The Aquatic Expo was in my city this weekend. I enjoyed walking around and talking with the various vendors and checking out the deals. I exercised restraint and only purchased 2 corals.

One a Mushroom
Mushroom Coral 1.jpg

One a Hammer (I was debating if 6 weeks was a little early for my first LPS, but my params have been stable the past few weeks, so I decided to try.)
Hammer Coral 1.jpg

Second, we had our first loss today.
The firefish in the QT died this afternoon. She (she was named Opal so we assigned female) has been hiding like I've read firefish do, and I think I saw her eat a little during feeding this past week but not as much as I would expect. She never really came out of her hiding place to go after food when I was near the tank. I feed flake in the morning and alternate pellets and frozen on alternate evenings. Although I tried to stay away from tank to ease her stress during feedings so I don't know how much she was really eating. This morning she was swimming and a little more active and out of her hiding place than normal, but back to her shy self this afternoon. I came downstairs for dinner and took a look at the tank and she was drifting in the current. Her body isn't really sunken in to indicate starvation. I also noticed the MarinePure balls were moved from where the current had clustered them together. She liked to hide between them and also in some ceramic aquarium cave rocks I purchased for hiding places. I am wondering if the damsel that is with her moved them and crushed her. I know it could also be a disease of some sort, although I saw nothing really abnormal this week from when I purchased her other than the back half of her body looked darker than normal when I pulled her out. I don't know if there might be an indication there either rock damage or disease. Disease seems unlikely since it was just her back half that was dark and not her whole body.

Anyway, I guess I will reset the QT clock on the damsel and hope he/she pulls through. If there is a disease, not much I can do about it. The Damsel looks nice and blue. No discoloration or spots. No spots on the goby, so nothing to really indicate a disease to treat for and I don't want to 'Proactively' treat beyond the Safety Stop after bringing them home.

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins. First Aiptasia outbreak! 2 pods in this zoa colony and I found a third in another zoa colony. I know if I see three, there are probably tons of spores around the tank. Just trying to decide the way I want to tackle this. Either chemically or predator style. I already have a cleaner shrimp. I don't know if a second shrimp (Peppermint to eat the aiptasia) would do well in my 32 gallon.

SoItBegins.jpg

OP
OP
TarheelGrey

TarheelGrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, The Aiptasia seems to be gone (YAY!) I purchased some Berghia Nudibranchs. This past weekend, my Springeri Damsel cleared quarantine. I put him in the tank and he was chased around for about a day before everyone just ignored him. The first night he found a nice little nook in the rocks. The two clowns took to him the quickest. The gramma is still chasing him around every now and then. One of the first places he swam was over toward the finger leather near the gramma's cave. I think she is still wary because of that.

Damsel 1.jpg

My wife got a pic of all five fish recently. (The lawnmower is a little harder to see, but he is there just below the weeping toadstool and orange clown.)

Five Fish.jpg

My rocks have become a nice green. (It feels slightly slick, but doesn't come up with a toothbrush) The lawnmower is always picking at the rock, so it just seems to be encrusting. No visible hairlike or bubble algae. Some reading sources call it a precursor to Coralline. There is just a little coralline on a trochus shell, so I will get a tank full eventually.

Last edited:
Back