Maroon Clown and Bubble Tip Anemone

ya_boii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for over 3 years now, and ended up working at Petco (I know...) because of it. Anyway, I haven't really had the urge to keep saltwater until now. There's this maroon Clown that I have taken a liking to at work. It's become super protective of a tiny little bubble tip anemone. Anyway, I have two major questions. Firstly, what tank size would I want? I'm reading anything from 30 gallons up to 50 for what I want to do. Secondly, what do I need to know going from fresh to salt?

d66bb58f-b762-4bdc-ab86-c16b3eb4f11b.jpg 6b6099d6-6e32-42d4-900a-7005dc6e41bb.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you should know is maroons are the most aggressive clownfish type. Second depends on what you want to do with the tank. Bigger the better in saltwater. Its a completely different set up so keep that in mind. Best thing is to do as much research as you can, cycling the tank takes about a month before its ready for fish, about 3 months before its ready for some beginner corals, and about a year before its ready for an anemone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

ya_boii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you should know is maroons are the most aggressive clownfish type. Second depends on what you want to do with the tank. Bigger the better in saltwater. Its a completely different set up so keep that in mind. Best thing is to do as much research as you can, cycling the tank takes about a month before its ready for fish, about 3 months before its ready for some beginner corals, and about a year before its ready for an anemone.
Is there any way to speed up the maturation process? Like, I know in freshwater, you can add water/media/other things from mature tanks to have it ready within a few weeks. Is there something like this for salt?

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to speed up the maturation process? Like, I know in freshwater, you can add water/media/other things from mature tanks to have it ready within a few weeks. Is there something like this for salt?
Live rock added to sand, saltwater, heat and flow would result in an instant cycle.
A bottle of bacteria never hurts, but if you use only dry rock, give it a week to be ready.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

ya_boii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock added to sand, saltwater, heat and flow would result in an instant cycle.
A bottle of bacteria never hurts, but if you use only dry rock, give it a week to be ready.
I would absolutely get a live rock. I don't really need/want a whole reef setup. I mostly just love how clowns and anemones interact, and I just really like the bond these two already have. I guess I just want to know if I can get a tank ready before someone else wants these two

Upvote 0

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons get really big for a clownfish. Mine have not been aggressive at all , though I keep hearing they can be and both of mine came from petco actually about that same size. My female is 12 years with me. I would probably say 55 is a good size so you can add a few other fish. If you just want the clown or a pair, a 30 gallon would probably due. I have found if they have nems they don't swim around the tank much, especially the little male. As for the nems, I wouldn't buy one from petco personally. Its pretty easy around here to find splits on local forums for $25. I would just get the clown and after you have had several months success think about an anemone. Just be patient. Let your tank cycle with some liverock or seed it with livesand or bottled bacteria for a good month or more .

Attachments

• clowns.jpg
    clowns.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your odds of success with the pair right of the bat is very minimal. Unfortunately saltwater is much more complicated than most freshwater setups. If you want this pairing get the tank setup purchase the clownfish and hold it at the store until your cycled. Then 6 months to a year from now get a bubbletip anemone that’s much bigger than this tiny one that will be lived to death by them. Bubbletips are marroons natural just so that clown will take to any of them.

Upvote 0

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you want is a maroon, or perhaps a pair of maroons and BTAs, I would say a 20 or 29 tank is fine. Frankly, maroons and BTAs are about as hardy as it gets in saltwater. Maroons are absolutely aggressive, so for the stated size tanks, you would not put any other species of fish in. You are already familiar with the basics, I've been keeping saltwater for over 30 years, so I would not hesitate to start from scratch, add plenty of live rock, a bottle of nitrosonomas/nitrobacter cycle bacteria and add the fish and the BTA. That is somewhat unorthodox, but honestly, you're probably a better candidate to successfully keep those two inhabitants than the majority of Petco customers that are likely to purchase them. Good water parameters for that duo would be temp 78-80F, specific gravity 1.026, good reef quality lighting, moderate water flow--make sure to cover any powerhead, water inlets with sponge or screen to prevent the BTA from getting sucked in.

Upvote 0
Back