Maroon clown killed lionfish :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Isolate the clown before adding any more fish. They are notoriously nasty and will not change their bad habits

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroon clown I had was about 5" long. It drew blood if I stuck my hand in the tank. Moved rocks, coral, and sand as he/she saw fit. They are definately an aggressive fish. Clarkii are also pretty nasty.

I even have a percula that goes after me when I'm working in that tank. Doesn't realize that it's still too small to do more than startle me.

PJ2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a pair of maroons and the female was so dang aggressive! She had a thing with black color... whenever I wore a black T-shirt, and I came close to the tank she would repeatedly strike the glass until I walked away. It was the strangest thing ever. Also, whenever I added a new fish they were lost within a few days. I lost a rusty angel fish, flame angel, orange shoulder tang etc. they were beautiful but eventually I had to part ways with them.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read cases where redoing the aquascape does a “reset” on territory. I’ve heard people doing this with very territorial fish when they add a new one, so everything is fresh for all the fish.
This has worked for me with my six line wrasse. Extremely grumpy fish. Will attack anything that comes into the 55g. Reset the aqauscape and everything was screwed for a few days. You must do it before the clown designates new territory tho.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could move rocks the size of a football of they weren't secure. Would pick up and dump frags that I glued down into his personal frag dumping ground. Also fanned sand all in to one pile in the corner of the tank. Cool fish but a pain in the behind to be honest.

This matches my experience with my maroon clown exactly. It immediately goes after anything new or changed in the tank, whether it's rocks, corals, or my hands, and I am constantly moving sand back into place that it has fanned out of one corner of the tank. It doesn't bother any of my other 8 fish, but it's been a long time since I've tried to add a new fish, and I'm doubtful that it would let me. Rehoming the clown is probably the only good option.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a regular normal Lion and the clown fish problem will be solved then trade it for something else once you’re done with it.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a regular normal Lion and the clown fish problem will be solved then trade it for something else once you’re done with it.

I'm not just gonna buy a fish and get rid of it when I get bored :(

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a maroon clown in a 75g tank. It killed EVERYTHING I tried to add after it. I bought a foxface thinking “he can’t kill it, it will stab him with its spines”. Wrong. Dead. You’re gonna have to love that fish and only that fish or get rid of it.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightning maroon and a snowflake, they go at each other like crazy sometimes. To the point I have to take my feeding tongs and break them up. They were introduced at the same time, my first fish. I guess it really depends on individual

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back