Maroon clown pairing !

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in the saltwater game for about 2 years (I’m an amateur, but I’m learning) my first fish was a gold stripe maroon clown. She was in my first saltwater tank (40 gallons) then we moved her to a 75 gallon with a yellow tang and some chromis. Then we got her to host her first green bta. For some reason the anemone didn’t do so well so we lost it. I did a lot of research to figure out what went wrong. After a few months my tank matured more and all the levels seemed right to add another bta. We went to the fish store and found a huge green bta with a little friend. There was a tiny maroon clown who was already hosting it. So we decided to take a chance. It was a match made in heaven. Once the bubble tip and tiny maroon were added to the tank our larger maroon quickly attempted to host the anemone. Seeing the little friend she began to chase and nip but he would quickly stop and submit to her. After about a day and a half they were in the anemone together and he wouldn’t leave her side. About 3 months ago we had to move which was absolute hell. We tried everything we could to make sure the fish weren’t stressed and the swap went smoothly but it was just too much and we lost most of our fish (somehow all the corals survived) We were most heart broken about our female maroon. Ever since the little guy has grown a lot and just yesterday we decided to take another chance and get a much smaller maroon. This one is gonna be TOUGH. The tiny maroon is not only frightened of his new environment but he keeps getting chased by the other maroon. What I ended up doing is purchasing an isolation breeder tank that I have the tiny maroon in. He seems much more relaxed. Before he was just at the top corner, now he swims around his isolation tank and he is eating which is a great sign. I have it pinned to my tank using a magnet. The larger maroon constantly notices him in there and tries to attack but realizes it can’t. I’m hoping the larger one will get used to him in the tank. In a couple of days I will try to introduce them again. PLEASE WISH ME LUCK, and tips or experiences would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A7A108C-70D9-4075-A451-76FFA7C0ED4A.jpeg

Please excuse my dirty tank , just added some more rocks that I got at NY reefapalooza so my tank is cycling again.

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in the saltwater game for about 2 years (I’m an amateur, but I’m learning) my first fish was a gold stripe maroon clown. She was in my first saltwater tank (40 gallons) then we moved her to a 75 gallon with a yellow tang and some chromis. Then we got her to host her first green bta. For some reason the anemone didn’t do so well so we lost it. I did a lot of research to figure out what went wrong. After a few months my tank matured more and all the levels seemed right to add another bta. We went to the fish store and found a huge green bta with a little friend. There was a tiny maroon clown who was already hosting it. So we decided to take a chance. It was a match made in heaven. Once the bubble tip and tiny maroon were added to the tank our larger maroon quickly attempted to host the anemone. Seeing the little friend she began to chase and nip but he would quickly stop and submit to her. After about a day and a half they were in the anemone together and he wouldn’t leave her side. About 3 months ago we had to move which was absolute hell. We tried everything we could to make sure the fish weren’t stressed and the swap went smoothly but it was just too much and we lost most of our fish (somehow all the corals survived) We were most heart broken about our female maroon. Ever since the little guy has grown a lot and just yesterday we decided to take another chance and get a much smaller maroon. This one is gonna be TOUGH. The tiny maroon is not only frightened of his new environment but he keeps getting chased by the other maroon. What I ended up doing is purchasing an isolation breeder tank that I have the tiny maroon in. He seems much more relaxed. Before he was just at the top corner, now he swims around his isolation tank and he is eating which is a great sign. I have it pinned to my tank using a magnet. The larger maroon constantly notices him in there and tries to attack but realizes it can’t. I’m hoping the larger one will get used to him in the tank. In a couple of days I will try to introduce them again. PLEASE WISH ME LUCK, and tips or experiences would be much appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your losses! The biggest issue you’re having here is all clowns are born male… so now you essentially have 2 males in the tank which is no bueno. The big one will more than likely bully the new one to death

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses! The biggest issue you’re having here is all clowns are born male… so now you essentially have 2 males in the tank which is no bueno. The big one will more than likely bully the new one to death
Thank you, Do you think if I can keep them separated safely, eventually the bigger one will become female?

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Do you think if I can keep them separated safely, eventually the bigger one will become female?
Yes… it’s probable. But not too great on the little one being trapped in isolation in the meantime.

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes… it’s probable. But not too great on the little one being trapped in isolation in the meantime.
I wish it was as easy as the first time, if I can pair these two … I’ll be so dang proud of myself. I’ve been constantly thinking of different ways to make this happen without losing the little guy. He’s a lightning maroon and he is just so dang cute.

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was as easy as the first time, if I can pair these two … I’ll be so dang proud of myself. I’ve been constantly thinking of different ways to make this happen without losing the little guy. He’s a lightning maroon and he is just so dang cute.
Maybe trade your larger one in to the lfs for credit towards another small lightning maroon… way better odds of a pairing than murder lol

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool update!! So after a few days of the little guy being in the isolation tank . I noticed the big maroon stopped attacking the tank. So while I was home I would leave the top of the isolation tank off so the little guy could swim and explore. First few times the bigger one would chase him off and he swam right back into the isolation tank for safety. Eventually she just left him alone. Today I can proudly say that there is no isolation tank and both clown fish are not fighting. The bigger one approaches the smaller one and he acts very submissive and she swims away. Hopefully soon I will have a pair.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to try to find a proven female larger than the male you have now. The male can change sexes, BUT that’s going to take some time also
Yep. Mine's white stripe turned yellow and the orange almost black or "maroon" after a few years and I believe that's when she changed into female. Looks like yours aren't there yet so they may not get along. Female top and male bottom for color comparison. Also mine was about 4" and the smaller was maybe 1 1/4" when they were paired.
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
clowns.jpg

Maroon pair from online image

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. sound good. The larger one was not fully female due to it losing its female and taking time to do the change with all the other things going on. So, when you introduced a new male, it wanted to assert dominance over it (so it would be the female). Maroons are notoriously hard on possible partners.
Glad you isolated and things are looking good. Nice job!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back