Maroon Clownfish questions

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm trying to gather some information on maroon clownfish. (I have limited interest in them, not really keen on their ability to draw blood with their bites haha)

My LFS had a pair surrendered there, and the owner really likes them. She really wants to keep them for a display tank, but this is one of the first times they've had maroons in the store because they are just too aggressive in their experience to keep in the designated clownfish tanks. I'm asking around for any info on them, especially regarding their aggression towards other fish.

This pair is about 3 to 4 years old, and seems like they are stunted for their age, at only about 1 1/2 inches at max. Apparently they've been kept with other maroons for a while, and they are some of the only survivors out of a group of seven.
They're acting super placid and calm with the other fish in the store's tank, which they've been living with for a couple weeks. (Naoko Fairy Wrasse, Chrysus wrasse, various Gobies, Hawkfish, Fang and Bicolour Blenny.)

I was wondering whether anyone knew any care or information about maroons, and if they'd be crazy aggressive once settled?

Thanks

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for a while. It’s not very aggressive except it does not like other fish, especially the foxface, being in its area. However I keep it in a tank full of larger more aggressive fish. It is a beast of a fish so it needs other beasts. Mine does not bite me or attempt to but as I keep it singly and in a FOWLR it doesn’t have a nest to defend. Once they make a nest they are well known for defending it quite ruthlessly. It is the prettiest but maroons are monsters.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah, they are gorgeous, and these are 'gold lightning maroons', so they have this shimmery gold colouration along their bars.
I believe that they would be kept solo, but there is the potential that they might have tank mates in the future.
There's a massive dinner-plate size anemone (it is one that will host them, but can't remember the name) in the tank they're going in, so they will probably have a home to defend.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the female will be territorial IME.
It will be the aggressor/protector out of the two.
But aside from chasing fish from their domain, no harm done.
They do both get nippy if my hands get too close, probably moreso when they have eggs to protect.

What size tank would they go in? Room for them to establish themselves and room for the other inhabitants to be comfortable and also run/escape will be key to success.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons seem to be better kept singly,at least as far as behavior goes for me at least.
I've had two both of which I added last to the tank. They had to establish their own territory, not vice-versa and it seemed to work out well.
They were both mean, both kept in fowlrs and neither one got picked on. The other fish completely just got out of their way.
They are beautiful fish and a pair kept with an anemone would be cool to see.
They'll defend that thing wholeheartedly.
However, I have sworn to my last breath I will never get another one.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm trying to gather some information on maroon clownfish. (I have limited interest in them, not really keen on their ability to draw blood with their bites haha)

My LFS had a pair surrendered there, and the owner really likes them. She really wants to keep them for a display tank, but this is one of the first times they've had maroons in the store because they are just too aggressive in their experience to keep in the designated clownfish tanks. I'm asking around for any info on them, especially regarding their aggression towards other fish.

This pair is about 3 to 4 years old, and seems like they are stunted for their age, at only about 1 1/2 inches at max. Apparently they've been kept with other maroons for a while, and they are some of the only survivors out of a group of seven.
They're acting super placid and calm with the other fish in the store's tank, which they've been living with for a couple weeks. (Naoko Fairy Wrasse, Chrysus wrasse, various Gobies, Hawkfish, Fang and Bicolour Blenny.)

I was wondering whether anyone knew any care or information about maroons, and if they'd be crazy aggressive once settled?

Thanks
I have a pair currently. My favorite clowns so far. Mine are not really aggressive unless another fish goes to close to their nem. They do seem to have a passion for chasing my chromis around the tank but never tries to bite them. The chromis dont care. They scatter and then re group like nothing happened. I did have a picasso clown and a black ice clown pair. The picasso was the female and dangggg did she bite. Jumped out of the tank to bite me multiple times and drew blood every single day. My maroons have never so much as glanced at my hand when its in the tank. I say give them a try! Especially if adding last they should be fine with other fish. Mine were first in the tank and done care about other fish being added. Now I could have an anomaly pair for sure. I got them with a back up plan of possibly buying them a 40 for themselves if they were too aggressive. My LFS said the female was surrendered because she killed a ton of fish. I paired her with a gold nugget maroon no issue. No aggression from her at all. Just my experience, theyve been with me since January and grown quite a bit, at least the male has cause he was a baby when I got him. :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah, they are gorgeous, and these are 'gold lightning maroons', so they have this shimmery gold colouration along their bars.
I believe that they would be kept solo, but there is the potential that they might have tank mates in the future.
There's a massive dinner-plate size anemone (it is one that will host them, but can't remember the name) in the tank they're going in, so they will probably have a home to defend.
They host BTAs in my tank

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'll post a more detailed answer once I'm a little more awake lol

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'll post a more detailed answer once I'm a little more awake lol

More about Felicia.
20230818_132554.jpg

Felicia is roughly 2 years old, and I call her a dragon for a reason.
Every time I put a hand into the tank, she will bite. She wasn't quite as vicious when I removed all her nems, but she has a new one she guards with her life.
She has bullied and killed a yellow watchman, purple firefish, and a yasha. She must really hate gobies.
She now has the 20g lair all to herself, a mated pair of tiger pistol shrimp and lots of rock flowers.
She has certainly become more aggressive the older she gets. The last bite, last week, I could actually feel her teeth on my skin and she thrashed like a shark.
Gloves or chainmail are in my future.
Maroons have the reputation for a reason.
@Sharkbait19 isn't Luxo a maroon?
Luxo is on par with Felicia.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More about Felicia.
20230818_132554.jpg

Felicia is roughly 2 years old, and I call her a dragon for a reason.
Every time I put a hand into the tank, she will bite. She wasn't quite as vicious when I removed all her nems, but she has a new one she guards with her life.
She has bullied and killed a yellow watchman, purple firefish, and a yasha. She must really hate gobies.
She now has the 20g lair all to herself, a mated pair of tiger pistol shrimp and lots of rock flowers.
She has certainly become more aggressive the older she gets. The last bite, last week, I could actually feel her teeth on my skin and she thrashed like a shark.
Gloves or chainmail are in my future.
Maroons have the reputation for a reason.
@Sharkbait19 isn't Luxo a maroon?
Luxo is on par with Felicia.
Luxo’s a mocha occy…she just thinks she’s a maroon lol. Well at least now that she and her mate are in solitary confinement the only one they can hurt is me.
I don’t have any maroon experience, but to the OP, keeping it in a tank with larger, tougher fish should help mitigate the aggression.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Luxo’s a mocha occy…she just thinks she’s a maroon lol. Well at least now that she and her mate are in solitary confinement the only one they can hurt is me.
I don’t have any maroon experience, but to the OP, keeping it in a tank with larger, tougher fish should help mitigate the aggression.
Oh, ok. I have pairs of mochas in the 55 and 110, but they don't care at all about anyone.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of my pair! Mine are not like @OrchidMiss ’s Felicia. By the way shes just so beautiful!!!!

My female is named Scarlet. She isnt fully grown yet, she was surrendered for killing a tang in her first tank. She was alone in the store too. I fell in love with her. Decided to take a chance with her and put her in my 70 gallon. Knowing maroons are notorious for being more like Felicia, I had a spare tank that I was willing to set up for her if she did turn murderous. She never did. I decided to try to pair her. Did lots of research and had several back up plans in cases she attempted to kill the male, who I named Little Guy. I got him super small too. She chased him a little but that was it. She wouldnt let him share her nem for about 3 months, then one day I looked in and they both were in the same nem! Scarlet is my favorite clownfish. Ive had another clown I talked about earlier that thought she was a maroon, biting me, drawing blood, jumping out of the tank to bite me in my face (true story). But my scarlet is super sweet and Im not sure she knows shes a maroon clownfish to be honest. I say take the chance on this pair! Very rewarding fish to have and beautiful! I love my pair. All I would say is just have a backup plan in case this pair go more like @OrchidMiss ’s maroon lol.

Here are pictures of mine! Scarlet is very interesting, Im not too sure what kind she is. She kinda looks like a picasso clown in maroon form, but shes stunning!

Little guy is a gold nugget maroon. He is starting to get his gold coloring in and is beautiful!

The orange picasso included is Lady. Lost her in my electrical crash but she was my feisty clown.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1394.jpeg
    IMG_1394.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1956.jpeg
    IMG_1956.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2050.jpeg
    IMG_2050.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 71296975314__178C08CE-5F96-4D8F-B275-FE3FF0DF3EEF.jpeg
    71296975314__178C08CE-5F96-4D8F-B275-FE3FF0DF3EEF.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2641.jpeg
    IMG_2641.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2640.jpeg
    IMG_2640.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 25

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not try them in a smaller tank. I kept a pair in a 6ft 150g. The male rarely got more than a few inches from the nem. The female while not actually aggressive was territorial. They became a problem when she decided half of the tank was her territory. I could not even place coral on her rocks as she would just tear them off. I ended up rehoming them.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to do some filming when I get home, but I have a pair of standard maroons coexisting with a pair of skunks in a 4ft 120g.

The female maroon is hell on wheels when it comes to her home but does not bother me in the least when ny hands are in the tank.

This pair is currently my 3rd since '98 (regulat and gold stripe)

Find the Maroon(s)!
20230705_084730_HDR.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clip of the darling...

Yes thats a rock of aiptasia, yes I know of eradication methods, no the majority cant/wont work with my wrasses. There is klein butterfly 2.0 that's beginning to work on the aips but I'm just prepping for life without some zoas.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A clip of the darling...

Yes thats a rock of aiptasia, yes I know of eradication methods, no the majority cant/wont work with my wrasses. There is klein butterfly 2.0 that's beginning to work on the aips but I'm just prepping for life without some zoas.

I relate to this video more than I'd like to admit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back