Maroon clownfish

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 29 gallon biocube reef tank that is in search of a new fish. My fairy wrasse I had for 7 years unfortunately passed over the weekend :(. I’ve always wanted a designer clown and due to me being at school I can not have another tank.

I have a maroon clown already that has been in the tank for 5 years, so I am looking for something I can add in the tank. Has anyone had success with adding a new clownfish with a long established clown? Don’t want to make a bad decision so just looking for some advice before I make a bad decision. Want to get a small lightning maroon or gold nugget to add with my large maroon clown. Please give me some suggestions and opinions. Thank you

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to be really hit or miss honestly. I had a maroon that wouldn’t let me add anything to the tank, but you could be lucky and it may work.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 29 gallon biocube reef tank that is in search of a new fish. My fairy wrasse I had for 7 years unfortunately passed over the weekend :(. I’ve always wanted a designer clown and due to me being at school I can not have another tank.

I have a maroon clown already that has been in the tank for 5 years, so I am looking for something I can add in the tank. Has anyone had success with adding a new clownfish with a long established clown? Don’t want to make a bad decision so just looking for some advice before I make a bad decision. Want to get a small lightning maroon or gold nugget to add with my large maroon clown. Please give me some suggestions and opinions. Thank you
I've recently added two ocellaris clowns to a tank with a large bicinctus clown that had been in the tank for over three years. There seem to be no issues, but I would be hesitant to add another clown with an established maroon clownfish. I've read that they can be quite territorial and mean.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said all of that junk above, I did successfully add a maroon clown to an established tank with clarkii clowns about 15 years ago. There were seven or so BTAs in the 90 gallon tank, so there was little clown mischief going on at that point in time.

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said all of that junk above, I did successfully add a maroon clown to an established tank with clarkii clowns about 15 years ago. There were seven or so BTAs in the 90 gallon tank, so there was little clown mischief going on at that point in time.
yea i am worried about mine since its a small tank and this one has been in here for a long time. the one i have is very territorially but i wonder if she would be fine with a mate

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i am worried about mine since its a small tank and this one has been in here for a long time. the one i have is very territorially but i wonder if she would be fine with a mate
Depends on the size difference, I guess. I've heard they can be really mean even though I've never seen it personally.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add any type of maroon as long as it is still male, usually an inch and a quarter max or preferably smaller.

However there is no certainty she will accept it even if it is still a male, and sometimes they just won't accept certain males for some reason, sometimes it takes more than one try w/ different males.

Best way to intro is in a acclimation container of some kind so the new male is protected, and observe the females reaction, does she dart at it frantically wanting to kill it, or is she calm and curious.

I would float new clown a long time to let her get used to it, maybe a day or more.

In that size tank she may be more territorial, but I would at least try, who knows you may get lucky first try.

My meanest maroon took 3 tries w/ 3 different males, just fyi.

These are containers and attempts I've made for example.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add any type of maroon as long as it is still male, usually an inch and a quarter max or preferably smaller.

However there is no certainty she will accept it even if it is still a male, and sometimes they just won't accept certain males for some reason, sometimes it takes more than one try w/ different males.

Best way to intro is in a acclimation container of some kind so the new male is protected, and observe the females reaction, does she dart at it frantically wanting to kill it, or is she calm and curious.

I would float new clown a long time to let her get used to it, maybe a day or more.

In that size tank she may be more territorial, but I would at least try, who knows you may get lucky first try.

Look at that face! She doesn’t look amused!!

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the acclimation chamber. Back in the day I used plastic strawberry baskets to isolate the males. The two times I did this, it took several days, and I don't think any of the males I tried to introduce would have survived an hour just being dropped in.

In both cases it was pretty obvious once the female accepted the male, with pair behavior observed right through the "prison bars". If you are careful and observant, you should be able to pull it off without killing any males.

One caveat is that I never tried this in a tank as small as yours. Both cases for me were in a 6' long 125....

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at that face! She doesn’t look amused!!

Lol, maroons are the original grumpy cat!

But the fact I was able to even get a clear pic was a good sign, when she refused males she was swimming too frantic and fast to even get a pic.

You usually can tell if it's going to be cool or straight up refusal.

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that container is genius. I am definitely considering a try, I think I am going to setup a 10 gallon tank just incase it doesn't work

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, maroons are the original grumpy cat!

But the fact I was able to even get a clear pic was a good sign, when she refused males she was swimming too frantic and fast to even get a pic.

You usually can tell if it's going to be cool or straight up refusal.
When I originally got this maroon I had ordered 2 at the same time and tried them in the same tank. This one bullied the hell out of the other I had so I had to move it to on of my other tanks. The problem is now I am in college so I am restricted to one tank, but I might be able to get away with a little 10 gallon

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, not sure if I mentioned it but if you have alot of rock where they can't see each other continuously you could have a chance

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back