OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy how fast you grew them! That's some serious sponge growth you there also.

Thanks! Yeah I can't remember when the sponge showed up, but it's been growing strong for a while now. I've been cutting pieces of it and distributing it to local reefers to help seed their tanks with good sponge growth. A good sign of a well diverse reef tank!

Unfortunately I've been struggling with my tank lately. My Orphek started acting weird and the clock shifted back by about 6 hours. I could adjust it because it was V1 and doesn't have wireless. The USB connection has since become corroded and I can't get the control screen to turn on anymore. Replaced it with a spare Ocean Revive that has a weird LED assortment with more red and greens than I would prefer. That side of the tank now looks like pea soup IMO I've lost some colors and definitely lost some light spread.

On top of the light, I had a coral on the opposite side of the tank start to RTN on one side of the colony today. That's the second coral over there in a month to do so. Plus my prized goni going and another goni STNing.... something is up over the pst month. All parameters are stable and nothing (other than replacing the light) has changed. So I did a 45 gallon change tonight (25%) and I'm hoping to resolved whatever issue is going on.

Low tide!!
e3bf89d5d0e2ed22b56eab0ad02ed433.jpg

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that doesn’t sound good!

I’ve got a 32” reef breeders photon v2 laying around right now if you want to put it up instead of the ocean revive. Just let me know!

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that doesn’t sound good!

I’ve got a 32” reef breeders photon v2 laying around right now if you want to put it up instead of the ocean revive. Just let me know!

I appreciate that! I'm in the process of taking out the Ocean Revives and replacing them with T5s and custom LED light bars. Once I get to a point where I have the time and materials I'll be doing that, hopefully next month.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that! I'm in the process of taking out the Ocean Revives and replacing them with T5s and custom LED light bars. Once I get to a point where I have the time and materials I'll be doing that, hopefully next month.

Sounds good! Offer stands if you want to borrow it!

Good choice on the hybrid, just did a custom t5/led hybrid for my new frag section:
099EECA9-B067-4A2B-8E58-3C45F0215D86.jpeg

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! What did you choose on the LEDs?

I’ve had good results in the past with nanobox reef pucks, and blue Acro pucks and strips. For this build I am using blue Acro strips: 4x 20k strips and 2x 14k strips.

If you need any help with the LED stuff let me know, I’ve built dozens of lights for myself and others over the past few years.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good results in the past with nanobox reef pucks, and blue Acro pucks and strips. For this build I am using blue Acro strips: 4x 20k strips and 2x 14k strips.

If you need any help with the LED stuff let me know, I’ve built dozens of lights for myself and others over the past few years.

Thanks! Yeah back in 2011 I was following the whole DIY LED craze and I built my own light with materials from RapidLED. Been looking back into it and it's nice to see how many more options there are now.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been getting your water from @FarmerTy , he was killing his gonis too! :oops:

Hope the water change evens it out.
I think they have some plumbing setup between their houses so they can share water! ;)
Haha, you guys are hilarious! We do live in the same neighborhood and are very distrustful of our water source, which is why we've both upgraded to 8-stage RO/DI systems.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, you guys are hilarious! We do live in the same neighborhood and are very distrustful of our water source, which is why we've both upgraded to 8-stage RO/DI systems.

Coming soon, the Gig 'emTy ultra water filtering system. Developed out of necessity from the phantom water in their neighborhood!

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a month since I've updated so I thought I would do a little photo update and recap!

My wife and I went overseas for vacation for a little over 2 weeks and had a good friend/neighbor/professional SPS guru watch the tank while we were gone. Everything seemed to be going alright until near the end of my trip I got a text at 3 am telling me my neighborhood was experiencing power outrages and that my Vivids Confetti colony was dead. Luckily my house only lost power for half an hour, but I still lost about $2,000 in corals that day. Didn't quite make sense how I could lose so much in that time frame...

My Confetti the day after
6f999830f6bf5ea6c809d461d7c6ddd9.jpg

Today when I finally had time to tear it out
1d6bf7b90f1b7b4e8c207c9368b0005e.jpg

After I got home I did some investigating before leaving for another week and a half and found that oh! my GFO and carbon had been turned off right about when I had left. I had changed the media out a couple days before I left and there had been water in the canisters, but the sponges were barely dirty when I opened them. Clearly it had been turned on and then shortly after been turned back off. Low and behold my PO4 was above 0.4 ppm after 50 gallons of water changes. I assume the PO4 had gotten even higher before the water was changed. My diagnosis is the carbon/GFO somehow got accidentally turned off and some of my corals just didn't handle the elevated levels very well. [emoji24] Of course it was my most expensive coral that died. [emoji849] If I've ever had luck, it's been bad luck.

Everything seems to be rebounding now. Still working on replacing my lights with T5s and custom LED strips. Here's how things currently look:
0d4f2bbe4f5be7f46bb51d31d6d9ea7d.jpg

57302ff4d1ca0aef6bfcec353dd7408e.jpg

5d9911727330e7eea585fde7f6f4e007.jpg

f9c0852c656c791b1bdbc1f00c9e6c6d.jpg

e263d450c541e4158c148860c950e33d.jpg

My mag keeps growing despite never being fed. Took advantage of a moment it was slightly balled
ed694683136ebf1bff7046d95d41d9fd.jpg

I now know why my Orphek Atlantik started freaking out. I guess a couple years confined in a hood really did a number on this USB port. Couldn't find the replacement piece at Frys so I'm at a loss until I replace the whole card or find this connection.
833fe0135c9bbd2396ee56462796b17e.jpg

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...didn't know you were out of town during the power outage. You really dodged a bullet there! Sucks about the losses though. See just goes to show you nothing good ever happens when you go out of town! ;-) I got tired of the GFO thing so recently threw some chaeto in the sump with a grow light and it's been doing the job for me. :)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is one of my favorites. I hated to see when you were having an issue but I am happy to see things are rebounding.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back