OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the AC unit functioning today. And good timing too since it’s supposed to be on the warmer side in Austin this week.

8C91812D-1081-4686-A49A-5F5395967473.jpeg

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AC system works exceptionally well. Maybe too well for the night hours and winter. I tested the AC out yesterday and the temperature began getting too cold so I shut it off. After a few hours I turned it to “dry” mode to pull moisture out of the air as it was starting to get a bit humid. When it runs in dry mode it cools the coils down just enough to create condensate and creates a small amount of air flow over the coils. It’s basically AC in light mode. Well even in dry mode it cooled the fish room down too much... this morning the room was 66, the water was 74, and the heaters were losing the battle.

312DC174-B675-437E-A1DF-E85989476AC3.png

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to get a less powerful AC unit lol sounds like it might be too much for the space.
Yeah it's powerful, but it's also February. Granted Austin isn't the coldest place, but it was in the 50's last night so I'm sure that doesn't help figuring out the sweet spot for this unit. I think once the summer rolls around and the temperature in the garage is in the 90s, I'll be happy with the strength of the unit.

Another potential reason is the direction of air flow coming out of the unit is aimed right towards the top and back side of the DT. Cold air is blowing directly on the largest body of water, it doesn't take long for it to drop the temperature of all the water.

I may just have to set the unit to Auto to maintain a set temperature range and just hope that when the AC runs in the afternoons it knocks the moisture out of the air. That or run a space dehumidifier in there during the winters.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...I've been dealing with the green cyano(that it looks like you have) for over a year and can't get anything to work. Hope you have better luck than me. I have tried increasing GFO, lowering nutrients/feeding, more water changes, flucanozole with no improvement. I'm just letting it do it's thing and hopefully it goes away in time. Are you doing anything special to deal with it?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...I've been dealing with the green cyano(that it looks like you have) for over a year and can't get anything to work. Hope you have better luck than me. I have tried increasing GFO, lowering nutrients/feeding, more water changes, flucanozole with no improvement. I'm just letting it do it's thing and hopefully it goes away in time. Are you doing anything special to deal with it?
I vacuumed some of it out yesterday, but mainly just letting it run it's course. I always had some in the back corner of my tank where there was low light/flow, but it seems to be on a big bloom right now. Hopefully it will run it's course and die off on its own.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In
How do you have the Tunze's setup? That looks like some serious flow going on.

I have a 6255 and a 6155 on each side. I have variable programming that creates waves, pulses, and complete flushes throughout the day. With a 7 foot tank, you need power to get movement across the entire length of the tank. I've been happy with it. Enough flow to move the sand around, not too much to rip flesh off the coral. I'm very happy with Tunze, incredibly well built and long lasting pumps.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone is staying sane out there during the virus lockdown! The best silver lining to the situation is having more time in the house to maintain the tank and stare at it. I was lucky enough to find the one large angel I wanted to add to my tank, a gold flake. I’ve named her Corona

FTS too to document the growth of the acros

D376E467-BD70-4159-BECE-4E8339D8A3EE.jpeg 593A9C05-1AD9-482A-973D-124ED1522481.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back