Maroon Lagoon V3.0

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Gig is looking great...did you find it locally? Where's the other one? Did you have to treat?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Gig is looking great...did you find it locally? Where's the other one? Did you have to treat?
I got them in Houston. So, semi locally I suppose.

I treated both of them prophylactically, I didn't want to risk introducing anything that might harm my other 3 gigs. Especially since the tank they came from had other gigs and one dying one. One purple is on Nem Island and the other is in a basket in my frag tank. I'm working with the University of Texas on a coral spawning project and I'm hoping I can have success with these giganteas too. I'm trying to collect a large brood stock of desirable giganteas so if I am successful in spawning them in captivity and successfully raising the planula, we can start to have a source of sustainable captive bred carpet anemones. That's the hope at least.... We'll see how that goes and if I'm even successful at getting them to sexually reproduce. @Taylor t has giganteas that are actively reproducing in his tank, so I'm hopeful that my colony will one day do the same. Hopefully he will pioneer a successful protocol to raise the young that I can later employ.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working with the University of Texas
giphy.gif

I believe that's pronounced "a texas university"

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

I believe that's pronounced "a texas university"
Yes. It's blasphemy at the highest level. But when it means having the ability to collaborate with coral researches and work on some very important projects to coral reefs across the globe, you put aside all loyalties and past grievances.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking great!!!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Corals are growing very well now. Started mostly from frags, but I can already tell there will be a lot of trimming in the future.
I appreciate you giving decent space between your acros should be amazing when the smaller ones grow out. Tank is looking great!

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you giving decent space between your acros should be amazing when the smaller ones grow out. Tank is looking great!
Yes! I've learned from my last tank how quickly 4" separation between frags can turn into 2" which turns into 0.5" which then turns into turf warfare in just a year. It's hard seeing so much open space now, but I know it will look full in the future. Patience and careful planning is a virtue in this hobby.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wonderful wife bought me an Avast Marine porthole for Father's Day, so I've been trying my hand at tank photography. Unfortunately the porthole cracked the moment we tightened down the screws to secure it to the camera and neither the vendor or Avast have been very helpful. I'm a little disappointed in them that this thing cracked so quickly and no one seems to care... Perhaps I'll try my hand at making my own next time.

But here are my first round of pictures using a real camera and not just my iPhone. Enjoy!
_DSC8855.jpeg
_DSC8856.jpeg
_DSC8874.jpeg
_DSC8876.jpeg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can return it, take a look at this one. I think they are better built and TX business:

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something bad... I wanted to add another 5 lunar lights over my new frag tank, but I also didn’t want to spend $125 on a new module and string when I already have two modules. So instead I made my own lunar string and spliced it into an older lunar light string. Overall the diodes are a little more dim now, but IMO that’s a good thing because I thought they were too bright to begin with.
51827DD7-878B-4443-B62F-209F54353025.jpeg

CA893B5C-1003-4D6E-95D8-43AF41E5586C.jpeg

Back