OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a little more experience with the DSLR. Still can't capture blues under blue lighting very well. But it's a work in progress. Vivid's Borealis and Gig's Mothra Mille
_DSC8984.jpeg
_DSC8929.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few frags I'm growing out that I'm pretty pumped about. I can't wait to see them as full colonies!

BC Gilligan
_DSC8931.jpeg

Gold Member Echinata. This thing is just insane, I can't wait to see it as a full colony
_DSC8992.jpeg

Gig's River Styx
_DSC8915.jpeg

BC Pink Flamingo
_DSC8952.jpeg

Last edited:

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is outstanding. Are the two frag tanks only getting flow from the return pump?

How do you have your tunze pumps setup on the main display for alternating flow?

Do you have to duck under the tablet everytime you go into the room?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is outstanding. Are the two frag tanks only getting flow from the return pump?

How do you have your tunze pumps setup on the main display for alternating flow?

Do you have to duck under the tablet everytime you go into the room?
The frag tanks have their own power heads and I’m working on putting Tunze pumps in them and controlling them with the Apex as well.

The Tunze’s are all controlled by profiles on the Apex. Cycles through wave action, surges, and periods of still.

Haha, sometimes I do have to duck. The tablet arm swivels and folds in several directions, so it’s easy to turn it, push it up, or direct it in whatever direction I need it. I have bumped my head on it a couple times when I forget that it’s all the way down during maintenance activities.

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking great! I need to come check it out, post pandemic of course. Looking forward to you fragging some these of beauties in the future.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I haven’t mentioned already, I’m involved in a research project with the University of Texas to spawn coral. I have a green house on campus where we hope to have corals spawn from the seasonal cycles of the sun, moon, and temperature. Because it’s downtown Austin with building shadows and light pollution, I decided to run seasonal schedules on my aquarium at home in hopes of spawning my corals so the research project can proceed.

My temperatures have been regularly reaching 85 degrees lately with the summer temps. The high temperatures have certainly taken there toll on some corals, while others don’t seem phased at all. Some of the researchers at the university tell me it has to do with the zooxanethellae and which ones can handle the heat better than others. My Z’s Blue Floyd doesn’t seem to mind the heat while my Pink Floyd is quite bleached now.
_DSC9068.jpeg

I was pleased this morning when I witnessed my fungia plate spawning. This week is when some corals in the northern hemisphere are spawning and apparently my fungia joined the fun (I did not capture the largest egg expulsions, but this is what was left over afterwards). It’s a good sign that my schedules are working and the bleaching corals may not be in vane.

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. Ever think of going the Jamie Craggs route and blocking out the tank from room light, etc? Would be a lot easier at the school of course.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. Ever think of going the Jamie Craggs route and blocking out the tank from room light, etc? Would be a lot easier at the school of course.
The fish room at home is pretty well insulated from light. The display tank gets some light from the living room in the mornings, but that’s about it. The green house... not so much. I suppose that could help narrow down how much of an impact lunar light has on spawning, since downtown Austin is heavily polluted with light at night.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've missed your last few posts and had to get caught up. Really amazing, John, and so good to see how healthy everything is after the trouble with the last tank. Hope you and the family are doing just as well.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back