Masstick autofeeder?

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I've never had such success with anthias. I just received 3 ignitus anthias. I had them eating by the second day. I did some planning prior to their arrival and had some masstick fish food on hand. I've been taking less than 1/16th a teaspoon, adding it to about 30mL water and feeding them with it, repeating this 4x a day. They're loving it! The inhabitants of my other tank really seem to enjoy this too. With covid keeping me working remotely this isn't a problem. In the future that will change and I'd love to be able to continue this feeding regimen. Using a traditional autofeeder isn't going to work with masstick because it will just sit on the surface of the water and go down the overflow. I don't want to go the route of the tabs or applying it to the glass because its much more wasteful and pollutes the tank to a greater degree.

Does anyone know of any way to autofeed powered food?

I've thought up one method where I would have an autofeeder positioned above a funnel shapped reservoir, dispense the powdered food, and a moment or two afterward have a dosing pump add water from the tank into the reservoir. 5 minutes after this a SECOND dosing pump with rigid airline would pump the water containing the powdered food into the tank. That's the best I can come up with so far, but I was hoping maybe someone out there with knowledge of specialized equipment may have an idea.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I've never had such success with anthias. I just received 3 ignitus anthias. I had them eating by the second day. I did some planning prior to their arrival and had some masstick fish food on hand. I've been taking less than 1/16th a teaspoon, adding it to about 30mL water and feeding them with it, repeating this 4x a day. They're loving it! The inhabitants of my other tank really seem to enjoy this too. With covid keeping me working remotely this isn't a problem. In the future that will change and I'd love to be able to continue this feeding regimen. Using a traditional autofeeder isn't going to work with masstick because it will just sit on the surface of the water and go down the overflow. I don't want to go the route of the tabs or applying it to the glass because its much more wasteful and pollutes the tank to a greater degree.

Does anyone know of any way to autofeed powered food?

I've thought up one method where I would have an autofeeder positioned above a funnel shapped reservoir, dispense the powdered food, and a moment or two afterward have a dosing pump add water from the tank into the reservoir. 5 minutes after this a SECOND dosing pump with rigid airline would pump the water containing the powdered food into the tank. That's the best I can come up with so far, but I was hoping maybe someone out there with knowledge of specialized equipment may have an idea.

the avast autofeeder (Plank) is specifically designed to feed powdered/freezed dried foods.

you could get that or try and diy using a similar approach

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the avast autofeeder (Plank) is specifically designed to feed powdered/freezed dried foods.

you could get that or try and diy using a similar approach
Thanks for sharing! Looks like I'd need to find something capable of turning on for only a few seconds at a time if I'm going to go this route. I am a little concerned that the food would get wet sitting directly above the water like that and clog up. Definitely worth considering though!

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Looks like I'd need to find something capable of turning on for only a few seconds at a time if I'm going to go this route. I am a little concerned that the food would get wet sitting directly above the water like that and clog up. Definitely worth considering though!

on the low-tech end i have had success getting these types of powders to slowly hydrate by just using an upsode down 2 liter bottle sitting at the top of the tank held by a magnet (Basically like the TLF feeding ring but with a two liter bottle instead of a small plastic ring) it works but never went as far as trying with an autofeeder

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the low-tech end i have had success getting these types of powders to slowly hydrate by just using an upsode down 2 liter bottle sitting at the top of the tank held by a magnet (Basically like the TLF feeding ring but with a two liter bottle instead of a small plastic ring) it works but never went as far as trying with an autofeeder

This is helpful, thank you. I am considering trying something like this in the sump with the return pump

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is helpful, thank you. I am considering trying something like this in the sump with the return pump

i have thought about that as well in the past but never got around to it. I like the shape/taper of the soda bottle and just found an adapter i can print to hook the bottle up to a pvc inlet that should be able to connect (at a 90) to the pump inlet.

i will try it out and let you know.
Problem is my fish dont actually want anything to do with these foods typically.
Guess i have my excuse to get some anthias now lol

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have thought about that as well in the past but never got around to it. I like the shape/taper of the soda bottle and just found an adapter i can print to hook the bottle up to a pvc inlet that should be able to connect (at a 90) to the pump inlet.

i will try it out and let you know.
Problem is my fish dont actually want anything to do with these foods typically.
Guess i have my excuse to get some anthias now lol
They're my favorite reef friend! Best of luck and I look forward to your update!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to use something like a Eheim everyday auto feeder positioned over a feeding ring so food wont float down the overflow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back