Mastertronic vs other automated testers

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

I am looking for an automated testing tool for N, P and Ca. What is the latest feedback on Masteronic? Looking at old reviews it’s not great to mixed at best. It also looks like they have released a new model that improved a lot of things since their first few releases (ala consumer beta test).

I know any automated tool should not be used to make decisions and 100% relied upon. But I am a tech and data nerd and like to see trends, etc. I have a Hydros today, so Mastertronic would be the most ideal in terms of integration.

However if there are more reliable products that do N, P, Ca and Mg testing (or just the N and P), I would be interested

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a Mastertronic for about a year. Other than the prices Focustronic charges for some of the replacement parts, I have only good things to say about it. I use it for Ca, Mg, NO3 and PO4 (twice weekly at least) and occasionally N02. I've found the test results to be reasonably accurate when compared to other home tests (Salifert and Hanna) and ICP test. I've found it particularly useful to track nutrient levels when making changes to system inputs. I started dosing Ammonium and have been testing every day to dial in a dose.

I also have one of the first batch of Alkatronic that I've used to test Alk 4 times per day for 4 or 5 or so years. I'm completely happy with it.

I have not used any other automated testers so can't compare, but so far I've not been tempted to try another.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
check out parkers reef and reef dudes on youtube. They have done reviews of most of the automated testers and Reef dude has as well.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Mastertronic for about a year. Other than the prices Focustronic charges for some of the replacement parts, I have only good things to say about it. I use it for Ca, Mg, NO3 and PO4 (twice weekly at least) and occasionally N02. I've found the test results to be reasonably accurate when compared to other home tests (Salifert and Hanna) and ICP test. I've found it particularly useful to track nutrient levels when making changes to system inputs. I started dosing Ammonium and have been testing every day to dial in a dose.

I also have one of the first batch of Alkatronic that I've used to test Alk 4 times per day for 4 or 5 or so years. I'm completely happy with it.

I have not used any other automated testers so can't compare, but so far I've not been tempted to try another.

So I ordered a Mastertronic Saturday. Its sort of hard to tell what is included vs not included with it. What sort of other equipment and other stuff will I need? Obviously reagents. Some sort of container to dispose of the dirty water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back