OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've said patience isn't your thing, but please be patient now and you will help the tank become stable sooner. Let it do it's thing.
Thanks, I going to let it ride. I do plan on taking action on the really high PO4, and I have an order from reef cleaners coming in on Tuesday. (Better late than never.) For now, that's all I'm going to do.
Nothing wrong with a "ugly" picture. I find them useful when you look back in a few months and go... Oh yeah definitely have fixed that issue.
I'll try and post a picture tonight. I'm warning you it's not pretty. LOL

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you asked for it:
Warning the following content may be disturbing for some viewers, viewer discretion is advised.

IMG_0762.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so here is what came in the mail today.
IMG_0761.jpg

All the blue things came from FishOHex. I got 12 Ecotech radion power brick holder, and 4 7 inch filter sock silencers. However, I'm going to have to go and check my order because I think I only ordered 3.
I also got in the GFO, and only added a half cup. (More on that later). I then got some two little fishes nori off of amazon. It was the cheapest place to get it plus free shipping.

So I repeated the PO4 test again tonight. The first time it came up at 3. So I did it again and it came up with 0, I did it again and it came up with 14, then again it came up with 10. It was at that point I gave up, and only added half the recomended amount of GFO to the tank. I know there is PO4 in the tank, I'm just not sure how much at this point. Either way I'm working to take it out. As soon as the GHA starts dieing i will remove the GFO. I think I will dose a little Acro Power, just in case. But certainly far less then the recommended amount.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all this seems to be alright at this point of time.
The "uglies" is where the tank starts maturing and although it does not seem to look nice, I always find it interesting to follow the evolution.
Thank you for sharing the photo.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be my wishful thinking, but I think the tank is starting to look better.
IMG_0777.jpg

I wish I could say the same thing about the skimmer.
IMG_0781.jpg

I may have waited to long on cleaning it. In my defense it normaly does not fill up this fast. With in minutes of cleaning it and putting it back, it already had almost eight inch of skim mate.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than you for posting the photo! Takes a lot to do that.

I still do think some urchins would help you ;) .

Please keep an update on how your po4 drops as the gfo kicks in. Also just give the system time it will get better!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than you for posting the photo! Takes a lot to do that.

I still do think some urchins would help you ;) .

Please keep an update on how your po4 drops as the gfo kicks in. Also just give the system time it will get better!
I think the GHA is already starting to die. There are large patches that are turning white, and sluffing off. I really hope that in the next couple of weeks it will all be gone.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I may have to take back what I said about snails. Because they are doing one heck of a job cleaning up the tank.
On another happy note, my JG Yellow for the fist time since arriving in the tank has some good polyp extension. I'm sorry I don't have a camera with a macro lens to take a picture of it, and the Iphone couldn't even get close. I'm also starting to see red coraline algae which I did get some pictures of. At first I was thinking it was red slim however it does not come off even if you rub it scrap at it with your nail. (I tried.)

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress!
I’m all caught up reading it, It looks like you are having all kinds of fun playing with you tank.
Following!
I'm wishing my tank looked half as good as yours. You have an amazing build.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no pics today, however, my phosphates are down too 2, and the snails are continuing to clean the tank. The fish seem to be all getting along now. The Achilles appears to have won the fight for the top slot, and now the rest of the fish are fighting for second. The small Naso even fights much larger fish trying to get the coveted second place spot. I'm already thinking about the next fish that are going to go in the tank. I'm certainly going to order more then one, and they are going to go in an acclimation box first. Right now I'm just supper happy to see all the fish eating everything in sight. The Naso is starting to put on weight, soon all my fish will be nice and fat.
I have a male Anthea, who spends most of it time is the lower back corner with it tail in the air and it head pointed down. Then as soon as I put food in the tank it comes to life and eats everything it can.
Then the two clown fish spend all their time in the top left corner (Front). They never leave that corner. The wife told me we really need to get an anemone for them. However, its hard to find decent price carpet anemones right now. I found some but they were between 200 and 700 dollars. When I told the wife that, she was like "never mind."

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Naso spent most of his time today in his normal color, as apposed to all blacked out. I'm happy to see him settling in and acting like a normal fish. He really is eating everything in sight, and is already putting on weight. Luckily for him I feed real heavy.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found the problem with high nutrients and rising salinity. The waste water line for the auto water change was on backwards. I was feeling really dumb today. Either way the problem has been corrected. One of these days I'm going to get this tank stable one way or the other. I have a week of PTO I need to burn before July. I'm thinking about taking a week off just to work on the tank. LOL

Back