OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that stinks. I hate mystery coral deaths with no apparent cause. Hope the pieces you dragged off make it.
Two of the pieces are still alive. I just hope they make it. It's funny, on one side of the tank all the corals are doing just fine. However, on the other side all the corals I try to put over there just die. I have no idea why.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the pieces are still alive. I just hope they make it. It's funny, on one side of the tank all the corals are doing just fine. However, on the other side all the corals I try to put over there just die. I have no idea why.

Possibilities are disease, lighting or flow. Work through them one by one to eliminate each as the cause and it will help you narrow down what to look for.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibilities are disease, lighting or flow. Work through them one by one to eliminate each as the cause and it will help you narrow down what to look for.
I think it is flow. Lighting is the same across the tank. I have looked many times for parasites and I have not seen any. Don't get me wrong I'm not ruling them out, I just don't have anything to go off of. I'm starting to feel as though the Maxspec Gyres are not up to the task. I'm not getting the flow across the tank that I would like to see. I'm not looking forward to telling the wife that.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update:
When it comes to PH, I have gotten to stay above 7.9, and it will go up to about 8.22. I'm now dosing a gallon of Kalk Slurry overnight, and the C02 scrubber on the Skimmer. I noticed that the water was getting into the media so I added a second chamber with a sediment filter to collect the moisture, it's sort of working.
IMG_0187.jpg

I don't know if I'm going to continue the battle with PH, I don't know if it is worth all the effort. Not to mention the cost. I just have a lot of other things to worry about.
I also added a sediment filter in line with the Auto Water change. Cleaning out the saltwater container was eye-opening. I don't want all that going into my tank. Sorry, I thought I took a picture of it but I can't seem to find it on my phone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at @FarmerTy form, and he posted a picture of a frag he had growing in a sump, and it has grown more in a couple of months than all the corals in my tank put tother in the last 6 months. Very frustrating. Most of my corals are still the exact same size they are just encrusted now. Clearly, I still have a long ways to go, right now I can only take solace in the fact the corals are still alive. LOL

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at @FarmerTy form, and he posted a picture of a frag he had growing in a sump, and it has grown more in a couple of months than all the corals in my tank put tother in the last 6 months. Very frustrating. Most of my corals are still the exact same size they are just encrusted now. Clearly, I still have a long ways to go, right now I can only take solace in the fact the corals are still alive. LOL
Not even a sump… just a 100 gal Rubbermaid tub with a heater and a maxijet pump with a bunch of cured rock. Oh wait… that’s probably not helping you out.
Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

If it’s any consolation I am as baffled about this magic tub as you are.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is flow. Lighting is the same across the tank. I have looked many times for parasites and I have not seen any. Don't get me wrong I'm not ruling them out, I just don't have anything to go off of. I'm starting to feel as though the Maxspec Gyres are not up to the task. I'm not getting the flow across the tank that I would like to see. I'm not looking forward to telling the wife that.

Rather than large parasites, I am thinking maybe bacterial issues for the corals is more likely. (If it is not flow.)

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a scraping from where the coral tissue is receding and view on a microscope slide. If there is, melafix can be used to treat it. Just research on this side for how to treat it.(Forgot whose thread discussed treating with it.)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I flooded the house again. Here's the thing, I have leak detection, and every time there is a leak the water goes right around the sensor. So I move it, and the water goes in a different direction and goes right around the sensor the next time. I wish I had taken a picture, if it wasn't so annoying it would be funny.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I flooded the house again. Here's the thing, I have leak detection, and every time there is a leak the water goes right around the sensor. So I move it, and the water goes in a different direction and goes right around the sensor the next time. I wish I had taken a picture, if it wasn't so annoying it would be funny.
Same experience. I finally just dumped 2-3 gallons of RODI in the (concrete) floor and waited to see where it pooled.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whoever said water can't run uphill lied to us! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. And give us the gory details of how this happened. We LOVE to learn from the dumb mistakes of others. It makes us feel better about our own dumb mistakes.
You stand to learn a lot this thread.
Britney Spears Dancing GIF by mortifiied

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a filter to my auto water change, and it’s only gone through a small portion of water.
8DBCB711-779B-471E-BF6F-13AB3EA75D12.jpeg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also took my calcium reactor offline, I’m going to stick to Kalk for right now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back