OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa that is pretty racy. I really like my Hanna HR. I was using NYOS and Salifert before. My Hanna tested lower than those other tests. No experience with Red Sea kit.
I tested again and it came in at 43. I stopped dosing Nitrates altogether. I'm going to proceed on the premise that Hanna is right until I see evidence otherwise. I'm going to take it slow and let the nutrients come down gradually. Hopefully, with my daily water changes and a good skimmer, I should have no problem bringing that number back down. I'm also hoping that I will see a decline in the algae. I don't know for sure but I think those new urchins are eating the algae I've been worrying about. I'm thinking about ordering 5 more.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm toying with the idea of putting GFO back in. I'm not seeing the results I want to see with Phospate E and I want something that will work all the time. So here is what I'm thinking. I used BRS calculator, which stated that for a tank my size, I should be using almost 4 cups. I have no intention of using that much. I'm thinking about using about half a cup; that way, it comes down slowly. My only hesitation is the Nitrates; right now I have high nitrates and high phosphates, and getting them more out of balance. What does everyone think?
I keep hearing about 20 nitrates and .05 phosphates, and I think that is the goal I'm going to go for. In fact, I just heard those numbers today from Than at Tidalgardens. I was listening to his live stream with ReefBum.

Last edited:

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things I would like to say, but I will keep my opinions to myself.

Look up pns probio. It's a bacteria (r.palustris) it specifically eats nitrates and phosphates and is also eaten by corals and other filter feeders but can change its own makeup to take in more phosphates or nitrates or both. It's pretty interesting and has real data behind it which is often hard to find in this hobby now-a-days

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up pns probio. It's a bacteria (r.palustris) it specifically eats nitrates and phosphates and is also eaten by corals and other filter feeders but can change its own makeup to take in more phosphates or nitrates or both. It's pretty interesting and has real data behind it which is often hard to find in this hobby now-a-days
Do you think this works better than Microbactor clean?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, this is purely anecdotal, but here goes. I think the recommended dose for fluconazole is way too high. Here's why. As you already know, the algae started coming back. The first time I looked at it under the microscope it didn't look like Bryopsis, however, the second time it did. After getting really depressed and questioning why I was going through all this trouble for a hobby. I decided to run a test. I put in a very small dose of Fluconazal. I'm sure it wasn't enough for 100 gallons, and I know I have over 400 in my system. I didn't change anything else, I have even left the skimmer running and the auto water change going. Despite that, the algae is turning white and dieing. My corals are not showing any signs of stress.

Very Happy Dancing GIF by Tennis TV

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, nitrates are down to 26, and phosphates are down to .1. I also dosed some MB clean and 7. I ordered some Ogo from Marine collectors, and that is in the sump. I think it is helping bring down the nutrients. Elliot told me that it would most likely dissolve away but I think it is growing. However, just in case he is right I have been feeding it to the tangs every night. Just because I spent way too much money on it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding some more flow.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I will stick with something a little cheaper and go with two MP60. Do any of you use them, and if so, what setting do you find works the best?

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I see some nice encrusting growth in those acros. Looking good.

I have not heard of that dip. How do you like it. What are the ingredients if you know?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13k gph holy smokes. Just get one of these...

1651495174861.png

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I see some nice encrusting growth in those acros. Looking good.

I have not heard of that dip. How do you like it. What are the ingredients if you know?
I don't know all the ingredients but I do know that it has the same active ingredient as Interceptor.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right so I replaced both of my membranes today, and I put a TDS meter at the output of each. The TDS meter for each membrane read zero. However, I have another TDS meter for the three stage pro DI resin, and it is reading 4 on the input to the resin, and reads one at the output. So I’m wondering do I need to three stage resin, if I’m getting zero TDS after the membranes?
I’m considering sending in some ICP testing. If I don’t need the resin I would prefer not to buy it.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back