Mattgsa 315 gallon build

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really are getting zero out of the membranes now, that may not be the case later as they age.

I would fit up the resin. If it really turns out long term that you don't need it, you will only buy it once anyway. If it turns out long term you do need it, you will have saved yourself dealing with worse problems.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really are getting zero out of the membranes now, that may not be the case later as they age.

I would fit up the resin. If it really turns out long term that you don't need it, you will only buy it once anyway. If it turns out long term you do need it, you will have saved yourself dealing with worse problems.
I think you are right; I'm planning to leave for now. However, I do want to send the water in to see if there are things in the water I need to really worry about.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these installed last night and as normal I could not get either one of them to connect to mobius
IMG_0277 1.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested nutrients today. Phosphates came out HR phosphate came out to zero, and the ULR came to 4, nitrate’s 5. But still growing algae like crazy.
8AA78F3E-934F-4663-8CAF-817A2CEB30B3.jpeg

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe algae growth is due to bound phosphate in the algae and manual removal would help. Otherwise light intensity and length of light schedule maybe feeding it too much. Also, if it's diatoms, it might be worth finding out what your level of silicates are in your tank water and your source water.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe algae growth is due to bound phosphate in the algae and manual removal would help. Otherwise light intensity and length of light schedule maybe feeding it too much. Also, if it's diatoms, it might be worth finding out what your level of silicates are in your tank water and your source water.
I would like to send in my source water to see what all is in it, I just haven't got around to it yet. I was thinking about using MB Clean, however, the nutrients are already really low. The only other option I can think of other than just waiting is fluconazole. I have tried it several times and the algae just keep coming back.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly hope that none of you were personally affected by the recent event at Robb Elementry school here in Texas. I can't imagine, nor do I want even to try to imagine, the hurt and suffering those families are going through right now. I have 4 kids in school right now, and two of them are in elementary in the same grades as the ones in Robb. This event hit too close to home in more than one way. It was really hard dropping them off at school this morning. It makes the problems with the tank seem trivial and unimportant.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly hope that none of you were personally affected by the recent event at Robb Elementry school here in Texas. I can't imagine, nor do I want even to try to imagine, the hurt and suffering those families are going through right now. I have 4 kids in school right now, and two of them are in elementary in the same grades as the ones in Robb. This event hit too close to home in more than one way. It was really hard dropping them off at school this morning. It makes the problems with the tank seem trivial and unimportant.

I hope all of you over there keep safe. It's time you all start up an anti-gun lobby that is more politically powerful than the gun lobby. That's the point at which you'll see change for your country to become safer to live in.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have been a lazy reefer, as indicated by my skimmer air tube getting clogged up. I was wondering why the skimmer wasn't working very well.
I also ordered some turbos in the hopes they will eat some of this algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing the difference the mp60 is making. I use the large algae pelts. The used to just sink right to the bottom, but now the mp60 blows them across the tank.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Mexican turbos. Three of them looked fine and started moving around. There were two that seemed to be having trouble, and the crabs started circling them. I wanted to give them a chance so I got an isolation box and put them in there. I'm hoping that will give them the time they need. Or they will die, and I will have deprived the crabs of n easy meal.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This more an observation than anything. Not much has changed but the algae is die, and sluffing off the rocks. I'm very happy about that, but I'm curious as to why.

I have also noticed that there is white sponge growing all over the rocks, I'm not sure what this is an indication of.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0317 1.jpg
This is frustrating. I have done nothing to the tank, and the other day it was readying at 39. All the corals look fine, and the algae is still green in some places, so for now, I'm not going to worry about it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo dump. I rearranged the rock work so you could see the corals better and better flow. I think I upset some of the fish since they are now picking on each other more than before.
PC rainbow
IMG_0312.jpg

Paleta tri color
IMG_0311.jpg

@FarmerTy Cotton Canday
IMG_0314 1.jpg

Orange Crush
IMG_0313.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0316 1.jpg
    IMG_0316 1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids now want their own tank, and the wife and I are considering setting up my old 90-gallon for them. I just don't think they understand how much work it is. I'm going to try and help them out as much as I can with automation, but they are going to need to handle the burnt of the work since my hands are full with the 300-gallon. Perhaps we will do a build thread together.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way for them to find out how much work it is, is to do it!

Oh, and you're reading zero phos because the algae is binding it all up and none is in the water column.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way for them to find out how much work it is, is to do it!

Oh, and you're reading zero phos because the algae is binding it all up and none is in the water column.
Trial by fire. I just need to make sure all the fish they get can be moved to the 300 if this goes south.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back