Mattgsa 315 gallon build

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions. I have an old 90-gallon tank that is drilled, and I was either thinking about turning it into a quarantine system or a frag system. Right now I'm leaning towards frag system because I'm going to source all my fish from vendors that quarantine and treat the fish before I buy them. For example Marine Collectors. What do you all think?
I’d go QT, just because there’s always the fish you impulse buy.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go QT, just because there’s always the fish you impulse buy.

Man, I feel like you know me. I tell myself all the time I'm not going to do that, but we both know it's going to happen.
giphy.gif

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I feel like you know me. I tell myself all the time I'm not going to do that, but we both know it's going to happen.
giphy.gif
We all say we’re going to stick to a plan, but I’ve never seen any one actually stick to it

Then your plan is to get everything you see and like! Then you can stick to your plan! Just research, research, research first to know if you do like it!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then your plan is to get everything you see and like! Then you can stick to your plan! Just research, research, research first to know if you do like it!
Well if that is the plan I need to get better at quarantining, This is one of those hobbies you always have something new to learn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing some plumbing on the returns, and I messed up and had to cut some out, which means I no longer have enough elbows. So I ordered some more for Supplyhouse since BRS is still out of stock.
I keep changing my rockscape, either I don't like it or the wife doesn't like it. I took a video last night, and then turned around and changed it again. I'll let you see it anyways

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep changing my rockscape, either I don't like it or the wife doesn't like it. I took a video last night, and then turned around and changed it again. I'll let you see it anyways

I like two things about that scape, but one I'm not sure of. First is it is low enough for corals to have room to grow which is good. Second is it breaks up line of sight for the fish to hide from each other which is good. My not sure is, it seems the rock is fairly close to the glass. Once corals grow on the rocks towards the glass you may not have room to get cleaning magnets past without breaking pieces of coral off. But overall, I like the scape.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like two things about that scape, but one I'm not sure of. First is it is low enough for corals to have room to grow which is good. Second is it breaks up line of sight for the fish to hide from each other which is good. My not sure is, it seems the rock is fairly close to the glass. Once corals grow on the rocks towards the glass you may not have room to get cleaning magnets past without breaking pieces of coral off. But overall, I like the scape.
I agree with you. So after staring at the tank for more time then I care to admit. I changed it around many times. Here it is this morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have been working on my fish selection. The only I want for sure is the Achilles Tang. The rest of the fish may or may not come, depending on how well they get along with the Achilles. This is just a starting point, I'm sure there will be more.
1​
Achilles Tang
2​
Regal Angel
3​
Powder Blue
4​
Powder Brown
5​
Clownfish
6​
yellow eye Kole
7​
Purple tangs
8​
Wrasses
9​
Blond Nazo Tang
10​
Watanebel Angle
11​
Yellow belly regal
12​
Orange shoulder tang
13​
Blue Caribbean tang
14​
Rock gobies
15​
Anthias
16​
Interruptus Angelfish

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of acanthurus tangs. You might be best off taking advice in the tang thread for that. (Maybe the scape can make it work?)

I like this scape better,as long as you're ok with access to the back wall. I think with your stocking plan, you definitely need this style scape. Good job!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of acanthurus tangs. You might be best off taking advice in the tang thread for that. (Maybe the scape can make it work?)

I like this scape better,as long as you're ok with access to the back wall. I think with your stocking plan, you definitely need this style scape. Good job!

This is just a preliminary list. I do plan on having food constantly available, which I have read is the may source of aggression. Either way, I'm going to take it really slow and make sure everyone is happy and healthy. I can't wait to get water in the tank. I just finished the main plumbing for the tank last night. I'm certainly going to need to get some lights for under that stand. Now the hard part of coming up with a control center. I'm sure I will get around to cleaning up the mess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I turned on the pump there were a few leaks, mainly from parts that I forgot to glue, but the tank already has good flow. The plumbing is noisy, but I think that is because I didn't put a gate valve on one of the drains so I ordered on from BRS. I also order some filter floss to see if I can quiet down the baffles in the sump.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer went a little nuts but I think that is due to some fresh PVC glue. This is not a good picture, I should have taken one later on when the whole skimmer was covered in foam.
IMG_0396.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I found concerning, and will have to look more into. My Red Dragon pump is rated for 6K+ gallons per hour. But when I put my hand in from of the nozzles I don't feel the pressure I would think I would. I do have the pump turned down a little, but still, the pressure is a little low in my opinion. I ordered several things from BRS yesterday and today, and just in time. Since BRS is doing their customer appreciation event. I'm just hoping one of those 500 dollar gift cards finds its way into my box. Probably not.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I turned on the pump there were a few leaks, mainly from parts that I forgot to glue, but the tank already has good flow. The plumbing is noisy, but I think that is because I didn't put a gate valve on one of the drains so I ordered on from BRS. I also order some filter floss to see if I can quiet down the baffles in the sump.

Looking Good!

You can do a couple of things to make it quieter. First is as you said, install a gate valve closer to the height of the sump on the main drain to prevent water rushing down the length of the pipe. Second is reduce your flow through the sump.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I found concerning, and will have to look more into. My Red Dragon pump is rated for 6K+ gallons per hour. But when I put my hand in from of the nozzles I don't feel the pressure I would think I would. I do have the pump turned down a little, but still, the pressure is a little low in my opinion. I ordered several things from BRS yesterday and today, and just in time. Since BRS is doing their customer appreciation event. I'm just hoping one of those 500 dollar gift cards finds its way into my box. Probably not.

You can test the flow, in gallons per hour, by timing how long you take to fill a five gallon bucket from the returns and do the math to multiply that time out to one hour. Then multiply the five gallons by the same number it took to reach one hour.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test the flow, in gallons per hour, by timing how long you take to fill a five gallon bucket from the returns and do the math to multiply that time out to one hour. Then multiply the five gallons by the same number it took to reach one hour.
That's a great idea, I'm just a lazy reefer, so I may just buy more MP40's or 10's to put along the back glass. I'm not sure which would work best. However that is step 900, and I'm only on step 10.

I went and ordered a gate valve for the other drain line. However last night the wife was like that sound is soothing, and the first thought that lept to my mind was why take away something soothing. We all know doing nothing is far easier then doing something. ;Joyfulo_O:p Just kidding the noise has to go.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is still on the fritz, this was from this morning. Last night I tried to tune it to no avail. So figured it is something in the water, so I added a ROX carbon reactor. The water in the tank is also foggy, I'm assuming that it some sort of bacteria bloom, so I have ordered the parts needed to install the UV sterilizer. The interesting thing is, the only thing I have added to this RODI water is salt. I wonder if it got something while sitting in the garage.
IMG_0399.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back