OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from holiday yesterday and the tank is looking the same as I left it which is a good sign.
I added a few more frags before I left which look healthy and the existing frags are showing growth.
It's not much but the difference in how the corals are reacting compared to 4-5 months ago is massive.
I've currently only got the 1 MP40 for flow as the MP10 had yet another fall and is in pieces. The new Gen3 Gyre looks like it will be the go once its released.
DSC04624.JPG
DSC04937.JPG

DSC04627.JPG
DSC04940.JPG
DSC04628.JPG
DSC04941.JPG
DSC04626.JPG
DSC04950.JPG
DSC04952.JPG
DSC04953.JPG
DSC04951.JPG

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate!
Yup sure, I read it here: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/11/30/new-gyre-300-series-pumps-feature-sine-wave-tech-flow-director/
For the most part it looks like a new quieter motor, optional flow directors, slightly different size changes and a different mount.
Cheers! Seems they are already in stock here in Malaysia. 570 RM for the pump itself. Big thing is I wonder if it’s compatible with my apex controllers or not. Sort of curious about them for no other reason than ‘new toys’

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals look very healthy, nice work. :)
Thanks mate!

Cheers! Seems they are already in stock here in Malaysia. 570 RM for the pump itself. Big thing is I wonder if it’s compatible with my apex controllers or not. Sort of curious about them for no other reason than ‘new toys’
Oh nice. I imagine the connectivity would be the same as the previous generation?

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mattres!

Just decided on getting an Elos Diamond 120 (not xl) so I just mowed through reading your entire journey.

Very glad you were able to overcome your difficulties along the way. Great looking tank!

Regarding the mystery plastic source, could it be the bag that is holding your Siproax together? I have no idea, just a thought.

Thanks for journaling everything! Helps someone like me who is getting a new tank started :)

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mattres!

Just decided on getting an Elos Diamond 120 (not xl) so I just mowed through reading your entire journey.

Very glad you were able to overcome your difficulties along the way. Great looking tank!

Regarding the mystery plastic source, could it be the bag that is holding your Siproax together? I have no idea, just a thought.

Thanks for journaling everything! Helps someone like me who is getting a new tank started :)
Hey mate thanks for reading through!
Awesome I reckon you’ll love your new 120!
If you start a journal let me know and I’ll follow along!

Oh yea I hadn’t thought about the bags the siporax are in. They are the what the siporax comes in out of the box. Although I reckon it would be unlikely they would release Antimony I can’t rule it out without knowing for sure.

Thanks again for reading through and glad some of it could be of some help!

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past week I think I've started to notice what I think is burnt tips on my teal stag frag and it's a little frustrating.
I know the usual thoughts about what causes burnt tips are low nutrients and high alk but I don't believe i fall in that category as my Alk is 7.5dKH and Nitrates 10ppm. Phosphate however would be lowish, going off my past triton test and elos phosphate kit im guessing around 0.01 to 0.03. I do feed a lot of phosphate rich food but it never budges much.
Calc is currently 440ppm and Mag 1400ppm
There's been no change in lighting or anything else for that matter as I've been keeping things simple and consistent.
Over the past 2 days I've changed about 20% of the water and also fed some coral foods like reef roids and amino acids in case the corals weren't getting enough food.

I'm still waiting for the new Gyre's to come in stock so running a little light on flow, could this be causing the issue?
I wish these corals would speak... I'd love to know what they are constantly complaining about! :p

DSC04954.JPG

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past week I think I've started to notice what I think is burnt tips on my teal stag frag and it's a little frustrating.
I know the usual thoughts about what causes burnt tips are low nutrients and high alk but I don't believe i fall in that category as my Alk is 7.5dKH and Nitrates 10ppm. Phosphate however would be lowish, going off my past triton test and elos phosphate kit im guessing around 0.01 to 0.03. I do feed a lot of phosphate rich food but it never budges much.
Calc is currently 440ppm and Mag 1400ppm
There's been no change in lighting or anything else for that matter as I've been keeping things simple and consistent.
Over the past 2 days I've changed about 20% of the water and also fed some coral foods like reef roids and amino acids in case the corals weren't getting enough food.

I'm still waiting for the new Gyre's to come in stock so running a little light on flow, could this be causing the issue?
I wish these corals would speak... I'd love to know what they are constantly complaining about! :p

DSC04954.JPG

Flow could be an issue, but I believe it would show more in tissue loss at the base and not on new tips.

Those damaged tips could have been from a small ALK spike, which reduced itself afterwards.
I have seen similar issues in my tank and I blame them on the spike (as I did not test every day, the true story will be difficult to be confirmed).
Keeping ALK lower then 7 is my way to avoid this now.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow could be an issue, but I believe it would show more in tissue loss at the base and not on new tips.

Those damaged tips could have been from a small ALK spike, which reduced itself afterwards.
I have seen similar issues in my tank and I blame them on the spike (as I did not test every day, the true story will be difficult to be confirmed).
Keeping ALK lower then 7 is my way to avoid this now.
Thanks Janci, an alk spike is a possibility I guess. I've only been dosing 6ml a day but testing once a week. My test kit its probably a bit long in the tooth as well.
My Mini always seemed to run at about 7 or under so I'll aim closer to that.
I've stopped dosing and will monitor alk over the week.
Cheers mate!

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt, I just stumbled upon this thread about burned coral tips and carbon dosing and thought about your issue.

Maybe this is the reason for you?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/understanding-burnt-tips-in-my-reef.542153/
Thanks for that link mate. Carbon dosing could be an issue. I did stop dosing NOPOX daily about 6 weeks ago but would add 5ml probably once a week to the siporax.
The nature of SPS to get grumpy a week or two after whatever it is that upsets them makes it hard to know exactly what set them off. I think I should start documenting any changes I make no matter how small, would make it much easier to know what causes what.
My aquacultured frags look absolutely fine still and growing well, thanks to being tank hardened for generations.

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're Salty!

Another quick update, the tank is finally cycling and doing its thing.
I've added a litre of siporax from my mini and a small piece of live rock to help seed the bacteria.

I've still got some small jobs to do like place and run the dosing containers and tubes. Tidy up some wires etc.
Hoping to pick up the skimmer this afternoon as well so can get that bad boy in.

I was eagerly awaiting getting this new elos quiet drain operating but ran into a small road block. The actual overflow itself when set right is as quiet as can be but the water and air traveling through the drain pipe was crazy loud.
In the Elos manual it states the secret is to have a gentle curve of the drain pipe but this doesn't help at all.
A big thanks to @d2mini for helping point me in the right direction.
I've put a ball valve on the drain so it runs full of water, reducing the air coming down and it has reduced the sound significantly. It's almost silent now and the missus is happy! Haha :D

A pic as we stand today-
IMG_2480.JPG

Hey Mattres,

Do you remember what size gate valve you ended up getting?

Have read differing things and would like your input.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mattres,

Do you remember what size gate valve you ended up getting?

Have read differing things and would like your input.
Thanks!
I used a crappy ball valve as a temporary solution but it's remained there ever since as it's serving its purpose fine. I also had to take a grinder to it to fit the elos drain pipe as it was a funny fit.
I believe @jporter17 used a 1 1/4" Spears gate valve that did a good job.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Realised I hadn't posted a FTS in forever so just took one. Still a long way to go but getting there slowly!

I ordered one of the new Gyre 350's and it arrived in my city on Monday only to immediately be shipped back across the country because the delivery bloke in kind words made a mistake.. Hopefully arrives sometime next week now, I think the corals will appreciate the needed flow!
Corals are looking well, the stag that had the burnt tips has recovered and grown back over the tips. Picked up a couples pieces last week, a small forest fire digitata and a nasuta.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear things are ok.
We will remain patient till the next FTS.

Shona569

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Realised I hadn't posted a FTS in forever so just took one. Still a long way to go but getting there slowly!

I ordered one of the new Gyre 350's and it arrived in my city on Monday only to immediately be shipped back across the country because the delivery bloke in kind words made a mistake.. Hopefully arrives sometime next week now, I think the corals will appreciate the needed flow!
Corals are looking well, the stag that had the burnt tips has recovered and grown back over the tips. Picked up a couples pieces last week, a small forest fire digitata and a nasuta.
Hey, tank is looking good! I’ve bought a few new fish for my tank recently. But was away last week so had a massive algae bloom as friend overfed.
Just a quick question, what return pump do you use and what LpH? Buying another as a back up.
Also what was the plastic floating around someone commented on a few posts up?

Back