Matt's Elos 120xl

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bi-color and gotta say he's an *** but all the same I love him cause like why not? He's one of my babies and although loves to knock things over he's still got a heck of a character so....you know[emoji849]

Slippin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your tank looks amazing! I like your light choice! :)

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bi-color and gotta say he's an *** but all the same I love him cause like why not? He's one of my babies and although loves to knock things over he's still got a heck of a character so....you know[emoji849]
Haha nice, sounds like yours has a lot of character to!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your tank looks amazing! I like your light choice! :)
Thanks for the kind words mate!

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Its been a little while since my last update, the tank has been happily cruising and maturing up until this past week. Nothing new has been added for a little over a month. Partly as I'm trying to stock it slowly but also for the fact i haven't found time to get to a LFS. Work and life have been quite hectic since the tank went up so hopefully over the coming months I can give it a bit more TLC.

I hit a green algae stage on the sandbed about a month ago and its still persisting. Hopefully it passes in another month or two.
The only issue I've ran into is this past week my two monti's and echinata all suffered burnt tips and as of yesterday the echinata is a goner. All other acro's seem unaffected. Not sure what caused this as all were looking very healthy a week before and the usual suspect of high or rapid change in Alk never happened to my knowledge. Alk's been low but stable at around 6dKh.
Low nutrients also don't seem to be a cause as nitrates are 10ppm.
I have wondered if excess trace elements could be the cause. I dose Aquaforest 1+2+3+ but with a low stock of coral I could see the trace elements building up.

I'm also hoping to finally get some silicone hose soon so i can finish off my return plumbing

Some new fish and coral are definitely on the cards when I find some nice ones!

DSC03416.JPG

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Its been a little while since my last update, the tank has been happily cruising and maturing up until this past week. Nothing new has been added for a little over a month. Partly as I'm trying to stock it slowly but also for the fact i haven't found time to get to a LFS. Work and life have been quite hectic since the tank went up so hopefully over the coming months I can give it a bit more TLC.

I hit a green algae stage on the sandbed about a month ago and its still persisting. Hopefully it passes in another month or two.
The only issue I've ran into is this past week my two monti's and echinata all suffered burnt tips and as of yesterday the echinata is a goner. All other acro's seem unaffected. Not sure what caused this as all were looking very healthy a week before and the usual suspect of high or rapid change in Alk never happened to my knowledge. Alk's been low but stable at around 6dKh.
Looking good Matt.
Looks like the yellow kole tang has a nice green carpet to graze on.
Some extra tangs and cuc will clean it in a short time.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Matt.
Looks like the yellow kole tang has a nice green carpet to graze on.
Some extra tangs and cuc will clean it in a short time.
Thanks mate, haha yes he or she (we've named her Colette) definitely does.
Hopefully this weekend i can add some more members to the fish crew.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the tank dimensions? I am looking at going custom with the same footprint

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the tank dimensions? I am looking at going custom with the same footprint
I love the dimensions on this tank. It's what drew me towards it years ago seeing it online.
The depth just makes it so much better in my opinion to scape and literally add scale to the scene.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of scene's, where are the updates?? :p
Haha when there's something good to update on! :p
I've had the Flu for the past week and it seems like the tanks had something to.. Since loosing the echinata the other week I've now also had 2 montis and a SSC frag pale and die. Really been quite frustrating trying to figure out whats caused it and making me doubt myself a bit.
Im feeling a bit better so may make my way down to a LFS and hopefully they have a nice fish I can grab to cheer me up :D

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, you might check the light output of that fixture by means of a PAR meter.
Those lamps maybe have to be a little higher to lower the intensity.

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some high. Equipment
I installed a spears gate valve today on the overflow into the sump. Can't believe how quiet it is now. You can see the gate valve in the middle of the red pvc. Get this done and you will be amazed.

IMG_0107.JPG

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, you might check the light output of that fixture by means of a PAR meter.
Those lamps maybe have to be a little higher to lower the intensity.
Thanks @Janci the fixture is 8 inches above the waterline. You may be right though as the tank is on the shallow side.
I plan to run Radium bulbs eventually and have the BRS PAR map to go off when I do put them in.

I'm still trying to figure out what has been the big change to set the tank on the downturn it's on. Another acro as of tonight has started to have spots in its flesh disappear. A couple acros left are just pale and sickly looking. If I didn't know anything about the tank I'd say from having a quick look at it that it's low in nutrients. But I measured 15ppm nitrate yesterday.

I've read some anecdotal evidence about tanks started with dry rock needing a longer time to mature before being able to support SPS. Mainly in Micheal Palettas latest tank.
But on the other hand I've seen quite a few stunning tanks that are quite young using dry rock. I think I'm clutching at straws for that as an excuse though.

Parameters as of yesterday-
Alk: 6.5
Cal: 400
Mag: 1400
Nitrate: 15
Phos: 0.02

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i used bacteria but with all the new stuff going in i could not keep it stable and finding all the sweet spots for parameters.
I am now fine tunning everything flow,dosing,temp,lighting cycle and phosphate
I think my rock leached phosphate s and still doing it a little.
I did not wash the rock with muratic acid big mistake
Never will i not so that again

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you running the MH's? I've found 3 hours to be plenty in mine due to the shallow depth. I also started with dry rock and have the same algae on the sand bed. I thought it may have been from one T5 bulb I tried, and have since switched it back to a blue+. I plan to chart PAR readings and have the meter, just lazy. I love the minimalistic rock approach with plenty of fish swimming area. Looks fantastic!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back