Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas goodies upgrade!

CadLights PLS-50 Elite II and Reef Power RP-M

5B88B527-817C-404B-A863-CD1620E320A5.jpeg ACE96200-A964-4F3E-8E68-CB2640CD5A9A.jpeg

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually do not have the tank anymore. But I was running a AB+ schedule at about 30% intensity with the lights about 11 inches off the surface, gave me a good par for the softies I had. The lights are just way more powerful than people realize i think.
So pretty low then. Did you keep any sps or LPS? I have mine around 51% mostly coming from blues, UV, and violet. One of my lobos seems to be bleaching. Need to find the sweet spot

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well after trying every placement imaginable, the RP-M is just to much pump for my shallow tank.

This skimmer though, is a beast of a nano skimmer! Built solid, here are some the one it’s replacing:

28C9D4A3-B106-4D22-AE28-621EBC728C29.jpeg FED04F80-42B6-48D2-86E8-DD9B4D4BDC49.jpeg 544D80B2-6DA7-4FAD-8108-943B0721E8FC.jpeg D9C16DDB-4293-471C-8108-A2C155D1F603.jpeg 306293C1-1003-47DB-9FA4-AE2E59501F65.jpeg
Tank is looking awesome! Can you take a photo through a filter so we can see the corals a little more?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested in the slimmer. I cleaned it Christmas Day and it’s chugging along. Keep in mind I do not feed much at all and change filter floss 2x a week so there’s not much for it to pull but it’s still pulling like a champ.

image.jpg image.jpg

robottaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife just ordered me the cadlights skimmer for bday next week. Got the same 30l tank. Bought the IM ghost skimmer because it was very cheap. Turns out it skims quite alright despite many reviews saying otherwise... but due to the way it fits in the second chamber causes tons of splashing noise. Hoping things quiet down with the new setup.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife just ordered me the cadlights skimmer for bday next week. Got the same 30l tank. Bought the IM ghost skimmer because it was very cheap. Turns out it skims quite alright despite many reviews saying otherwise... but due to the way it fits in the second chamber causes tons of splashing noise. Hoping things quiet down with the new setup.

So far the cadlights has been silent. I took the bracket off the back and placed it into the 2nd chamber. With the bracket on it sat a high in the water.

With it just sitting in the chamber and wide open it runs a bit wet right now but I’m going to give it a few more days like this and I may put the bracket back on it. I would like to hear what you think about it once you get it set up.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking reef. Just went thru your build thread and am impressed with your success
I am in the process of setting up my a 30L, my first nano. Build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/doubling-down-my-30l-build.676219/
I have the AI Primes as well and was wondering what your schedule and settings were. Can you PM them to me?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

robottaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the cadlights has been silent. I took the bracket off the back and placed it into the 2nd chamber. With the bracket on it sat a high in the water.

With it just sitting in the chamber and wide open it runs a bit wet right now but I’m going to give it a few more days like this and I may put the bracket back on it. I would like to hear what you think about it once you get it set up.

I have had my pls-50 elite II running since late Friday night (~4 days). It has been pulled out some really nice skim. I am running my IM Ghost Skimmer in tandem for the time being. My tank probably needs it :D

I tried the same setup you mention, without installing the mounting bracket, for about the first day. The water level was too high and was dumping too much water in the collection cup regardless on any adjustment I made. I put the bracket on and have been running it that way the past 2 days. The quality of the skim is really good, and I can tell I will have to do maintenance on this skimmer less often. Currently every 2-3 days I have to clean the IM skimmer, if I had to guess somewhere in range of 7-10 days maybe for for the cadlights.

This morning I noticed the setup was being kinda noisy. It probably was there the past few days and I didn't notice. There is a mechanical hum. It is a pretty tight fit and I have to angle the pump across the second chamber to get it to all fit in. My guess is the pump and/or skimmer body making contact with the tank is the culprit. I'll see what I can do but might just be something I have to live with.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my pls-50 elite II running since late Friday night (~4 days). It has been pulled out some really nice skim. I am running my IM Ghost Skimmer in tandem for the time being. My tank probably needs it :D

I tried the same setup you mention, without installing the mounting bracket, for about the first day. The water level was too high and was dumping too much water in the collection cup regardless on any adjustment I made. I put the bracket on and have been running it that way the past 2 days. The quality of the skim is really good, and I can tell I will have to do maintenance on this skimmer less often. Currently every 2-3 days I have to clean the IM skimmer, if I had to guess somewhere in range of 7-10 days maybe for for the cadlights.

This morning I noticed the setup was being kinda noisy. It probably was there the past few days and I didn't notice. There is a mechanical hum. It is a pretty tight fit and I have to angle the pump across the second chamber to get it to all fit in. My guess is the pump and/or skimmer body making contact with the tank is the culprit. I'll see what I can do but might just be something I have to live with.
It is definitely a tight fit. Idk if you can squeeze it in but OXO produces a gray silicon drying mat for dishes that you can cut and maybe slide in between the pump and glass to stop the hum. I have had to do this in the past and it works very well. Target sells it in the kitchen section or Bulk Reef Supply carries it as well, for this very purpose.

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love what you did with the stand! I have the standard black version, very jealous now haha :D

Are you using the coral view lens when the light is mostly blue or during the day as well? Those pics turned out great... I really like looking at my tank after "sunset", but of course my phone was never able to capture the pictures well enough.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love what you did with the stand! I have the standard black version, very jealous now haha :D

Are you using the coral view lens when the light is mostly blue or during the day as well? Those pics turned out great... I really like looking at my tank after "sunset", but of course my phone was never able to capture the pictures well enough.

Thanks for the comments on the stand! I had the plain black stand on my reefer 250 and always felt kinda “eh” about it. It got the job done well but it wasn’t anything I enjoyed looking at.

As far as the photos, I think most if not all of my photos are during the normal “daytime” lighting. That includes every spectrum the AI Prime HDs offer. For a comparison I took the following photos which do not have and white, green or red turned on. First will be no filter, then 15000 filter and lastly 20000 filter.

79880D69-967B-4E0C-AC26-E77BBE92611E.jpeg AF5B43E9-6703-4759-9E9F-528F1DD0431F.jpeg 35736A6F-E984-4680-8FCA-CEED065E10E1.jpeg

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I do not know why they are sideways
Thanks for those pictures! Definitely a huge improvement with the filters on.

I had the cheap gel filters but i think those are optically inferior and the pictures came out kind of blurry :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back