OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just read through your whole build, looks awesome. I started up my 30L in Jan and am running a very similar tank softies and LPS, do you still have any of your AI Prime schedules? I’m currently running 2 PrimeHD about 8” over the water and saxbys with a max of 20w, wasn’t sure if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks a lot!
I cant seem to pull anything up without a light to connect to. I know I have some in my email history. PM me your email and I will try to dig them up for you.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update action!

I just was not happy with the Tunze 6040s so I swapped them out for 1 Aqamai KPM. I debated over this the nero 5 and mp10qd. Decided to go the KPM route due to my good experience with the KPS pumps in the past.

The KPM is awesome! It is way OP for this tank but that allows for expansion in the future. Its less of an eye sore than the Tunze were and has a nice wide, gentle flow.

I also moved the corals around to create a euphyllia garden. Added a green slimmer frag and my first ever milli frag! I have always wanted one, it just never happened. Also scored a really cool aussie ultra purple torch. I will attach a few pics of how everything doing currently.

I ran out of RedSea Reef Energy A and B and decided to start using Auqua Vitro Fuel since its only one bottle. I have used it in the past and liked it. So far my results are good.

I think the last thing of note is I my Alk was getting way out of wack with two part. I think it may be due to the Jebao doser after reading a bit about them. I decided to switch back to kalkwasser and put it on the dosser somi dont come home to a crazy alk spike that caused everything to die. Thus far it has been holding steady at 8.7. I will run this until its not enough and then maybe try the Tropic Marin All For Reef.
image.jpg

Heres the new Millie!
image.jpg

Slimmer
image.jpg

Ultra Torch! This sucker is so purple its looks blue in person
image.jpg

Rare photo of the Swalesi Basslet
image.jpg

image.jpg

Ja890425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually working on getting the tropic Marin All-For-Reef squared away myself, I may actually try kalk to get my Alk up to where I want it right now I’m sitting at NSW 7-7.5 which is probably low but then again my instant ocean reef crystals have been reading extremely low for what it’s rated at, once this bucket is done I’ve got a bucket of the tropic Marin pro waiting to slowly make the swap

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I've got nothing better to do, i decided to build an algae scrubber for the tank. Ordering the light panel and some plastic canvass. I plan to build a small 3 sided cage out of the mesh and place it in the 1st or 2nd chamber and removing the vinyl from the back. Then mounting the light to the rear glass and letting it shine through, into the cage. Kindda like a ghetto HOG scrubber.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had those Rock Flower Nems? They look huge, I'm looking into getting some soon.

I can‘t remember how long ago I got the green one but it has been a while! The red and white one is the newest, less than a year, and the little red and green one has been probably 2ish years.

dqwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

How are things going for your tank?

how do you like theReefbreeders? Compared to the primes?

I have an IM30L as well and used your build for inspiration. I bought a nuvo stand and painted it white. I picked up a cadlights skimmer. I currently have 2 primes and just picked up 2 reefbreeders 32 v2 In a local deal for 500 bucks couldn’t pass that deal. I haven’t used them yet but might mount them like yours but I’m being kind of lazy and might get a BOT bracket from reefbreeders

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

How are things going for your tank?

how do you like theReefbreeders? Compared to the primes?

I have an IM30L as well and used your build for inspiration. I bought a nuvo stand and painted it white. I picked up a cadlights skimmer. I currently have 2 primes and just picked up 2 reefbreeders 32 v2 In a local deal for 500 bucks couldn’t pass that deal. I haven’t used them yet but might mount them like yours but I’m being kind of lazy and might get a BOT bracket from reefbreeders

Things are going good and starting to get some decent sps growth now that I have balanced out the alk dosing. I had a bit of hair algae start to pop up an dosed, literally 2 drops, of vibrant which caused a few issues that are still working themselves out. Rigged up a DIY algae scrubber in a back chamber thats starting to take off, first harvest was yesterday.

I still love the light and stand set up. The reefbreeders is not even a fair comparison to the primes. The shadowing is far less and over all they are just a brighter light. Be careful setting them up they could absolutely fry everything in this tank. My program now is a ramp up to a 4 hour period of blue channels at 35, whites at 2, reds at 5 and greens at 5. Yeah, you got a great deal on those for $500! I debated the tank bracket but I obviously chose to do my own.

I am currently looking at either gutting the filtration portion of the tank and drilling it for a Fiji cube overflow and sump. I‘m also looking at replacing The tank with a 36x16x16 drilled tank from Fiji cube and keeping the stand/light configuration or maybe upgrading all together.

If I upgrade i’ve been all over the place, from 40 breeder to Mode Aquariums 135. A Fiji cube 57 or waterbox frag 85.3 are the most likely choices. Both are 36x24x16 and both are far more expensive then swapping just my tank or a DIY 40 breeder. In all honesty theres not a need for any of this it would just be a cleaner look with a sump, extra room is always nice, and I can‘t leave well enough alone.

dqwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand about an upgrade.
I’m looking at upgrading to the Red Sea XL300. I want some more depth so I can have more dimension in the tank and give sps some headroom if I decide to add sps.

I have 2 mp10 one on each side of the tank both have to be set to 1 or 2 or else it will blow everything away. I want the room to give the powerheads to move the water to make the corals move more organically.

dqwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you share your Reef Breeders lighting schedule? I’m trying to fine tune mine and it is based off dputt schedule found around the forum.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you share your Reef Breeders lighting schedule? I’m trying to fine tune mine and it is based off dputt schedule found around the forum.

I recently toned it down just a bit but here is my current schedule:
CH1 CH2 CH3 CH4 CH5 CH6
0700: 0 0 0 0 0 0
0800: 0 0 2 0 2 2
0900: 0 0 15 0 15 15
1000: 0 0 15 0 15 15
1100: 2 2 25 0 25 25
1200: 2 2 25 0 25 25
1300: 5 5 35 2 35 35
1400: 5 5 35 2 35 35
1500: 5 5 35 2 35 35
1600: 5 5 25 0 25 25
1700: 5 5 25 0 25 25
1800: 2 2 25 0 25 25
1900: 0 0 10 0 0 0
2000: 0 0 2 0 0 0
2100: 0 0 0 0 0 0

Any times not listed are all channels 0, previously I maxed the power at 10 10 40 5 40 40 for one hour and was getting 280-325 par on most of the rock. Decided to turn it down after a few things seemed like they were getting to much light. I am not sure exactly what my peak par is now but if I recall this setting was like 150ish on the sand and 225ish-275ish on most of the rock.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also little update, the coating on the power cable is starting to come out of the pump on the cadlights skimmer. I tried to silicone it but its such a tight squeeze it just pulls it out again. I’m taking the opportunity to pick up a ghost skimmer and try that out since its made for this tank and will be FAR less visible.

I also received these guys today:
image.jpg

They are TINY! Here is a comparison next to the spin stream.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention; since I cant make up my mind on ”upgrading” the tank, i decided to swap the big chunk of rock for another Carib Sea arch. This opened up a lot of space, i like the current scape.

dqwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the schedule. I understood it.
I purchased the BOT mount for the rb. My wife instantly commented on it. She dislikes it.

Those new powerheads look sleek. Let me know how they are ;). I like the placement. Almost can’t even see them.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the schedule. I understood it.
I purchased the BOT mount for the rb. My wife instantly commented on it. She dislikes it.

Those new powerheads look sleek. Let me know how they are ;). I like the placement. Almost can’t even see them.

What are your thoughts on the BOT mount? I was afraid it would look...clunky, I guess.

The Hygger power heads are pretty great so far, at least for this application. The flow is broad and gentle. They remind me a lot of the Aqamai KPS, as far as flow. They are also quiet. The instructions can be a bit confusing but its easy to program.

This site gives the best info:

so far i like them.

dqwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on the BOT mount? I was afraid it would look...clunky, I guess.

The Hygger power heads are pretty great so far, at least for this application. The flow is broad and gentle. They remind me a lot of the Aqamai KPS, as far as flow. They are also quiet. The instructions can be a bit confusing but its easy to program.

This site gives the best info:

so far i like them.

I don’t like the BOT arm. It is very clunky.

The arm has 2 options 6” or 12” extension for width. The 6” puts light over the sump and the 12” makes the light overhang. On top of this the vertical length was awkward. Too long.
I already have the light off my tank until I can figure out what to do.

I really love the spectrum and spread of the light.

I’ll show my wife your mount
and see if she would approve, ha.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back