Max E260 Sump Upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me with a sump upgrade for my Max E260? I have an ATO reservoir so I just need the sump tank,pump and skimmer. I will order the Red Sea plumbing kit.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the Redsea sump that’s optional with the E-260, it doesn’t come with a return pump of skimmer. For a return pump I went with a Reef Octopus varios 2 and for the protein skimmer reef octopus essence 130. Feel free to ask any questions https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/red-sea-max-e-260-sump-pipework-upgrade-set-red-sea/Dustin
54BE055E-5AB1-4A4D-9CBB-3A078047864C.jpeg

Last edited:

KrustyKrab305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the Redsea sump that’s optional with the E-260, it doesn’t come with a return pump of skimmer. For a return pump I went with a Reef Octopus varios 2 and for the protein skimmer reef octopus essence 130. Feel free to ask any questions https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/red-sea-max-e-260-sump-pipework-upgrade-set-red-sea/Dustin
54BE055E-5AB1-4A4D-9CBB-3A078047864C.jpeg
Question, how do you like the Octo 130 skimmer? I'm thinking about getting this unit for a 110gal future build. Thank you.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how do you like the Octo 130 skimmer? I'm thinking about getting this unit for a 110gal future build. Thank you.

I really like it so far. It’s very quiet and doesn’t use much space. I’d buy this one again or look at a Nyos Quantom. Dustin

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dustin, I’m about to set up my E-260 with the sump upgrade and I was wondering what you did with the two circulation pumps? From what I can make out I change over the plugs to the open pair and leave them running, is that right?

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dustin, I’m about to set up my E-260 with the sump upgrade and I was wondering what you did with the two circulation pumps? From what I can make out I change over the plugs to the open pair and leave them running, is that right?
Yep change out the plugs and have them open and running. I’m not sure what kind of sand you’ll be using if any but I’d recommend a Fuji special grade or larger. Always here to help. Dustin

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dustin. I've gone for the Red Sea Aragonite Live Sand as it's larger than the sand I've used in previous tanks. Thanks for confirming about the circulation pumps. Have you got anything where the old skimmer was and around where the circulation pumps sit?

I've got all the bits to create a refugium that'll go in the sump and media reactors that'll also go in the sump and just thought that I'll literally have a large void of space where the old skimmer was.

Also while I've got you Dustin, have you changed the screen for the top of the tank that lays down flat?

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dustin. I've gone for the Red Sea Aragonite Live Sand as it's larger than the sand I've used in previous tanks. Thanks for confirming about the circulation pumps. Have you got anything where the old skimmer was and around where the circulation pumps sit?

I've got all the bits to create a refugium that'll go in the sump and media reactors that'll also go in the sump and just thought that I'll literally have a large void of space where the old skimmer was.

Also while I've got you Dustin, have you changed the screen for the top of the tank that lays down flat?

Where the old skimmer went I keep a heater and a back up heater. In the media rack I put some live rock in it. I also have a small mj900 pump in the back to feed tank water to a seperate fuge I built. I ordered the Red Sea build your lid kit and it works great. Dustin
C80C4AE8-5DFB-4226-A79C-EA031B97BC74.jpeg

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's brilliant thanks Dustin, looks very similar to what I'm planning. Have you got a link for the lid kit?

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant the screen for the rear sump. The manual says to pop the old one off and shows a new being put on but God knows where to get it from lol [emoji23]
6f6c9231681f77b5eab89da82b06c123.jpg
ec69852201083b65880806d3853307c0.jpg
c5979f4c6a516fae9116daa8d1ce5f8d.jpg

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe I see. I have the black glass cover thing I don’t use it. I haven’t seen a sump screen before. Maybe it comes with tank without sump upgrade.

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah no worries. It's mean to be an altered version of the screen that comes with the tank and hides the sump but this altered version lies flat and covers the entire back slot

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!! I'm going to go crazy with this new sump! I have everything all plumbed in a filled but I cannot maintain a consistent water level in the return pump chamber. I've tried making very fine changes to the down pipe valve and waiting, also tried turning up and down the power on the return pump, all to no avail!!!!

Does anyone have any idea?

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!! I'm going to go crazy with this new sump! I have everything all plumbed in a filled but I cannot maintain a consistent water level in the return pump chamber. I've tried making very fine changes to the down pipe valve and waiting, also tried turning up and down the power on the return pump, all to no avail!!!!

Does anyone have any idea?
I set my E260 water level right when the water starts to flow over the emergency line. What return pump are you using? GPH?

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a syncra SDC adjustable return pump that'll do 2000-5500 LPH. It's getting there I think. It seems to be incredibly fine adjustments required to the tap

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a syncra SDC adjustable return pump that'll do 2000-5500 LPH. It's getting there I think. It seems to be incredibly fine adjustments required to the tap
Very fine adjustments. I found my goto spots on valve and mark them with a paint pen

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've found it now which hopefully should be the end of it. How often are you filling up your ATO?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back