Max E260 Sump Upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful to not over tighten them as it can easily be done and I've heard of horror stories where people have snapped or cracked the plumbing

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Upgrade sump is installed. I put my heater in the back DT sump in the left chamber. Got up this morning heater is on but temp in the DT is down 2 degrees. Can someone explain why? I moved the heater to the center of the DT sump where the tubing is and heat is coming back up, also I want to use my own ATO reservoir and Tunze ATO. Where should I put the sensor and ATO fill hose?

sump upgrade.JPG

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep the heater definitely in the middle section of the rear sump. I'd also massively recommend purchasing a thermostat controller for it as the thermostat controller will essentially control the heater and be million times more reliable than the thermostat built into the heater. You can pick one up for £20 very easily, give me a shout and I can share the link.

In terms of ATO, put the sensor and tube in the return pump section of the sump under the tank. Only bit of advice would be to make sure it was a decent size as I go through about 25 liters a week!

Give me a shout if you want a picture of my sump if it will be of any help, won't be clean mind you as it's due to be cleaned very soon lol [emoji23]

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... for all your help... Heats coming back up now. I have the DIGITAL AQUATICS REEF KEEPER that controls my heater as far as shutting it down if it sticks on. I also have an extra heater set to come on if the temp gets to low. I will be putting my ATO in today and removing the very small Red Sea reservoir... Thanks again for all your help.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Upgrade sump is installed. I put my heater in the back DT sump in the left chamber. Got up this morning heater is on but temp in the DT is down 2 degrees. Can someone explain why? I moved the heater to the center of the DT sump where the tubing is and heat is coming back up, also I want to use my own ATO reservoir and Tunze ATO. Where should I put the sensor and ATO fill hose?

sump upgrade.JPG
Looks great. The reef octopus skimmer works great in there, the only issue I’ve came up with is if let my filter socks get clogged alittle it’ll mess up the flow rate and the skimmer go little crazy. I put my ATO top off sensor close to where the float valve is. I keep the 2 heaters in the back of DT sump one for a backup.
8E2159C0-A02C-48EF-B726-66BD70D75FD5.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a sump like this so I have a few questions. How much flow should I have flowing over the socks and how much return flow should I have. Things are working very good right now but to optimize the system should I have a slow flow or add more? I think the idea is what ever goes in must go out about the same rate to keep things level. Correct?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sump upgrade.JPG

Very nice Gary! So clean. I set up my sump a month ago and it's in need of a clean up.

I put my Tunze sensors in the return section of the sump as you can see. I removed the sponge (I have no bubbles from the skimmer and with the socks see no reason for the sponge) between the skimmer section and the return section and have the ATO feed line sending water into the small section that the sponge was in. I use a 5 gallon bucket and put that along side the sump. I mounted the Tunze ATO and Reef Octo return pump control on the inside right cabinet door.

If the flow you have is working well I'd leave it be. I have my Reef Octo Varios 4 set at the 4th flow rate and it seems to be just right. In my 170 I have it at 3 and it's overflowing my one sock so I will try to turn that down one setting.

260 sump.jpg

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace the filter socks with media cups and just use filter floss in them, saves having to clean every 2 minutes and far more effective

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a sump like this so I have a few questions. How much flow should I have flowing over the socks and how much return flow should I have. Things are working very good right now but to optimize the system should I have a slow flow or add more? I think the idea is what ever goes in must go out about the same rate to keep things level. Correct?
How much flow you have really depends on what corals you keep. I have a Reef Octopus varios 2 turned up full speed. I keep all soft corals and LPS.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my varios 4 I have to keep on 2. Anything higher it drains the return section unless I turn up the down pipe to the point that it floods over the socks to much. I guess you have to find a happy medium between the two...

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the down pipe valve work like a normal valve. Clockwise off "Less flow into the socks".... Counter clockwise "more flow into the socks"?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the down pipe valve work like a normal valve. Clockwise off "Less flow into the socks".... Counter clockwise "more flow into the socks"?

Yes it does. When you get it close, you have to use very fine adjustments. Another member gave me the advice to have the rear sump level so the water is just trickling down the higher overflow pipe. Good advice.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Thanks.... and I was wondering if my water level was to high because it's barely trickling down the over flow pipe...Good to know...

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at buying a 260 - how do you like the sump upgrade? My thoughts are to start with out the sump and upgrade in a few years. When you add the sump does that mean the behind the tank system is bypassed? I'm guessing long term cost a reefer maybe the way to go......I am also not sure where I am going to put my tank so it will depend on how much space I have. Cheers.

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at buying a 260 - how do you like the sump upgrade? My thoughts are to start with out the sump and upgrade in a few years. When you add the sump does that mean the behind the tank system is bypassed? I'm guessing long term cost a reefer maybe the way to go......I am also not sure where I am going to put my tank so it will depend on how much space I have. Cheers.
Absolutely love my Max E but I got a fantastic deal from my LFS which I couldn't turn down. If I were you I'd definitely go for the reefer deluxe as it'll have the lights included too. The reason I'd go reefer is that the sump layout in the V3 I believe its now on, now includes a refugium section and is overall a much better layout than the max E

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the e260 and then down the road bought the upgrade sump. I should have just gone with the reefer. I do love the e260. No regrets... I'm in the process of changing out the crappy valve though.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like my E260 with the sump upgrade. But if we’re to do it again I’d also went with a Reefer and a bigger one of course. Dustin

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back