Max E260 Sump Upgrade

OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Well I can't seem to keep the water level constant in the upgraded sump. One day it's to low in the pump return section and then a few hours later it's to high. Getting very frustrated. I'm wondering if my Varios 4 pump is screwed up. Have to go away for 3 days and I'm wooried about it running to dry or something else going wrong. I have to babysit it constantly. Thinking of going back to the original sump.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Well I can't seem to keep the water level constant in the upgraded sump. One day it's to low in the pump return section and then a few hours later it's to high. Getting very frustrated. I'm wondering if my Varios 4 pump is screwed up. Have to go away for 3 days and I'm wooried about it running to dry or something else going wrong. I have to babysit it constantly. Thinking of going back to the original sump.
I feel your pain. I’m running a varios 2 pump and seems like last few months I’m constantly adjusting my ball valve. I always seem to have to much water in my display so my ATO uses to much water. I’ve even had my GF call me while I was at workand say the tank was so loud I had her turn the return pump down alittle bit.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Did you change the Red Sea valve over to a gate valve? I believe you were saying you were working on that in a previous post. I had absolute fits with my 260 trying to keep the level constant with the Red Sea valve. I changed over to a gate valve and had it properly adjusted in 10 minutes. Haven't had to tune at all in months.

I feel your pain. I’m running a varios 2 pump and seems like last few months I’m constantly adjusting my ball valve. I always seem to have to much water in my display so my ATO uses to much water. I’ve even had my GF call me while I was at workand say the tank was so loud I had her turn the return pump down alittle bit.
What size tank do you have. I use a Varios 4 on my 260. Also, are you using the stock Red Sea ATO and float ball. I found the float ball was not accurate. I replaced with a Tunze 3155 ATO and once again, no problems.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Did you change the Red Sea valve over to a gate valve? I believe you were saying you were working on that in a previous post. I had absolute fits with my 260 trying to keep the level constant with the Red Sea valve. I changed over to a gate valve and had it properly adjusted in 10 minutes. Haven't had to tune at all in months.

What size tank do you have. I use a Varios 4 on my 260. Also, are you using the stock Red Sea ATO and float ball. I found the float ball was not accurate. I replaced with a Tunze 3155 ATO and once again, no problems.
I have the max260. I use a autoaqua ato. I’ll end up changing the gate valve out prob here soon.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
I know some Red Sea users have no issue with the standard valve, but I couldn't get it to work consistently. I have a 170, 260 and 425 and all have retrofitted gate valves.

Soupbone

View Badges
Reaction score

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you happy with the Reef Octopus varios 2? Is it strong enough for that sump and aquarium size?
Yes very happy with it so far, I feel it’s strong enough. I do not have SPS corals. I’ve had it going about a year non-stop no issues with pumps or tank so far been great. Dustin

Soupbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes very happy with it so far, I feel it’s strong enough. I do not have SPS corals. I’ve had it going about a year non-stop no issues with pumps or tank so far been great. Dustin
Hey good to hear. Thanks for the quick reply, I was concerned that I didn't order a strong enough return pump. Hopefully, everything will be here by the end of the coming week so I can get everything set up.

Brad Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all - super late to the thread but have any of you that have upgraded the e260 made modifications to the back sump or are you still running the same stock recirculating pumps?

mid so are you running Wavemaker in the display as well?

Neil Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all - super late to the thread but have any of you that have upgraded the e260 made modifications to the back sump or are you still running the same stock recirculating pumps?

mid so are you running Wavemaker in the display as well?
Hey

I've got the upgraded sump in the cabinet and have mine set up so that:
- Circulation pumps are used for surface agitation in order to help with gas exchange.
- In the back of the tank, just above the circulation pumps on both sides I have media bags filled with bio balls.
- Running 2 MP40s in the tank which is overkill but I'm planning on upgrading in the near future. The glass on the tank is too thick for MP10s which is slightly annoying so if you're looking for an alternative, perhaps try Gyre pump of sorts.

Hope that helps

Do we test our water too much and for too many things nowadays?

• Yes

Votes: 116 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 189 50.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 64 17.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors