Max E260 Sump Upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't seem to keep the water level constant in the upgraded sump. One day it's to low in the pump return section and then a few hours later it's to high. Getting very frustrated. I'm wondering if my Varios 4 pump is screwed up. Have to go away for 3 days and I'm wooried about it running to dry or something else going wrong. I have to babysit it constantly. Thinking of going back to the original sump.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't seem to keep the water level constant in the upgraded sump. One day it's to low in the pump return section and then a few hours later it's to high. Getting very frustrated. I'm wondering if my Varios 4 pump is screwed up. Have to go away for 3 days and I'm wooried about it running to dry or something else going wrong. I have to babysit it constantly. Thinking of going back to the original sump.
I feel your pain. I’m running a varios 2 pump and seems like last few months I’m constantly adjusting my ball valve. I always seem to have to much water in my display so my ATO uses to much water. I’ve even had my GF call me while I was at workand say the tank was so loud I had her turn the return pump down alittle bit.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you change the Red Sea valve over to a gate valve? I believe you were saying you were working on that in a previous post. I had absolute fits with my 260 trying to keep the level constant with the Red Sea valve. I changed over to a gate valve and had it properly adjusted in 10 minutes. Haven't had to tune at all in months.

I feel your pain. I’m running a varios 2 pump and seems like last few months I’m constantly adjusting my ball valve. I always seem to have to much water in my display so my ATO uses to much water. I’ve even had my GF call me while I was at workand say the tank was so loud I had her turn the return pump down alittle bit.

What size tank do you have. I use a Varios 4 on my 260. Also, are you using the stock Red Sea ATO and float ball. I found the float ball was not accurate. I replaced with a Tunze 3155 ATO and once again, no problems.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change the Red Sea valve over to a gate valve? I believe you were saying you were working on that in a previous post. I had absolute fits with my 260 trying to keep the level constant with the Red Sea valve. I changed over to a gate valve and had it properly adjusted in 10 minutes. Haven't had to tune at all in months.

What size tank do you have. I use a Varios 4 on my 260. Also, are you using the stock Red Sea ATO and float ball. I found the float ball was not accurate. I replaced with a Tunze 3155 ATO and once again, no problems.
I have the max260. I use a autoaqua ato. I’ll end up changing the gate valve out prob here soon.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some Red Sea users have no issue with the standard valve, but I couldn't get it to work consistently. I have a 170, 260 and 425 and all have retrofitted gate valves.

Soupbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the Redsea sump that’s optional with the E-260, it doesn’t come with a return pump of skimmer. For a return pump I went with a Reef Octopus varios 2 and for the protein skimmer reef octopus essence 130. Feel free to ask any questions https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/red-sea-max-e-260-sump-pipework-upgrade-set-red-sea/Dustin
54BE055E-5AB1-4A4D-9CBB-3A078047864C.jpeg
Are you happy with the Reef Octopus varios 2? Is it strong enough for that sump and aquarium size?

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with the Reef Octopus varios 2? Is it strong enough for that sump and aquarium size?
Yes very happy with it so far, I feel it’s strong enough. I do not have SPS corals. I’ve had it going about a year non-stop no issues with pumps or tank so far been great. Dustin

Soupbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very happy with it so far, I feel it’s strong enough. I do not have SPS corals. I’ve had it going about a year non-stop no issues with pumps or tank so far been great. Dustin
Hey good to hear. Thanks for the quick reply, I was concerned that I didn't order a strong enough return pump. Hopefully, everything will be here by the end of the coming week so I can get everything set up.

Brad Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - super late to the thread but have any of you that have upgraded the e260 made modifications to the back sump or are you still running the same stock recirculating pumps?

mid so are you running Wavemaker in the display as well?

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - super late to the thread but have any of you that have upgraded the e260 made modifications to the back sump or are you still running the same stock recirculating pumps?

mid so are you running Wavemaker in the display as well?

Hey

I've got the upgraded sump in the cabinet and have mine set up so that:
- Circulation pumps are used for surface agitation in order to help with gas exchange.
- In the back of the tank, just above the circulation pumps on both sides I have media bags filled with bio balls.
- Running 2 MP40s in the tank which is overkill but I'm planning on upgrading in the near future. The glass on the tank is too thick for MP10s which is slightly annoying so if you're looking for an alternative, perhaps try Gyre pump of sorts.

Hope that helps

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult is it to upgrade down the road? Will it cause a headache not upgrading from the start? I just bought this tank but not the sump upgrade as my LFS did not have it, so I would have to purchase it online. I'm hoping I can upgrade down the line and it will not be too big of a chore but wanted your feedback..

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult is it to upgrade down the road? Will it cause a headache not upgrading from the start? I just bought this tank but not the sump upgrade as my LFS did not have it, so I would have to purchase it online. I'm hoping I can upgrade down the line and it will not be too big of a chore but wanted your feedback..

I upgraded to the in cabinet sump on both my 265 and 170. I ran them both with the rear sump for a period of time and then upgraded. It wasn't a difficult thing to do. I really feel like the filtration took a giant leap forward when switching to the in cabinet sump.

I wasn't happy with the RS rear sump skimmer. I even tried HOB skimmers before finally going to the in cabinet sump.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to the in cabinet sump on both my 265 and 170. I ran them both with the rear sump for a period of time and then upgraded. It wasn't a difficult thing to do. I really feel like the filtration took a giant leap forward when switching to the in cabinet sump.

I wasn't happy with the RS rear sump skimmer. I even tried HOB skimmers before finally going to the in cabinet sump.
I’m just nervous initially starting off with a sump because I’ve never run a sump before so I’m scared I’d be in over my head before I do more research on it. But then another part of me is I know I’d want to upgrade and I’m worried it may be more difficult to upgrade then if I do it off the start.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just nervous initially starting off with a sump because I’ve never run a sump before so I’m scared I’d be in over my head before I do more research on it. But then another part of me is I know I’d want to upgrade and I’m worried it may be more difficult to upgrade then if I do it off the start.
I felt the exact same way when I started. The in cabinet sump under the tank scared me. Leak hazard for sure. But after taking the plunge I have no more fear! Now I have 4 tanks with in cabinet sumps.

It isn't hard at all to upgrade later. There is a bit to learn but it really isn't more complicated, just different. You do need a return pump and a skimmer. I did not use the RS ATO tank. I saved them for acclimation tanks and hospital tanks for emergency. The tanks will run without the in cabinet sump. You're fine running that way for as long as you want. When you're ready, easy to upgrade.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt the exact same way when I started. The in cabinet sump under the tank scared me. Leak hazard for sure. But after taking the plunge I have no more fear! Now I have 4 tanks with in cabinet sumps.

It isn't hard at all to upgrade later. There is a bit to learn but it really isn't more complicated, just different. You do need a return pump and a skimmer. I did not use the RS ATO tank. I saved them for acclimation tanks and hospital tanks for emergency. The tanks will run without the in cabinet sump. You're fine running that way for as long as you want. When you're ready, easy to upgrade.
Awesome thanks! That’s reassuring I can take my time to research and learn before I take the leap. I LOVE the idea of an acclimation tank instead of the RS ATO

Leeseal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!!! I'm going to go crazy with this new sump! I have everything all plumbed in a filled but I cannot maintain a consistent water level in the return pump chamber. I've tried making very fine changes to the down pipe valve and waiting, also tried turning up and down the power on the return pump, all to no avail!!!!

Does anyone have any idea?
Hi
Had same issue I see this is an old post, I have a slight trickle into the emergency drain to keep stable levels in the sump for the ato to work correctly.
Did you manage to have it work for you on main drain only not into the emergency drain.
I'm using a jecod 4000lpb, and running at 50% which believe is at 2000lph. Redsea told me that this rate should be at 2700lph. Apparently shut off all pumps leave the main circulation on this is crucial, no other pumps in main display on either. Then turn on return pump turn the gate wheel closed until reaches water level 2inch below the emergency drain. Then turn open should level out.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back