MAXI Doser discontinued

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't check the APEX forums but if the DOS head had an issue with Syphoning I am sure it would have been a well reported problem by now.

Not really an issue.

You can also source the heads directly from Aliexpress (in the 3 head config if you wish). Cheap as chips but obviously you won't get any support from GHL from that point onwards
Link to item? We are not getting any support nown

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the answer to the not forthcoming of information about things.. Germans.. It’s just how German companies operate. I spent many years working with German engineers it’s just how they do things. They are taught and made to do things methodically. They are not the spout off about things and then backtrack on it later like Americans are. Ion made them have to break method and push back timelines and fight sourcing. Not their fault, but as the PRODUCER of the product they catch the blame. They don’t like that. So it becomes more just do it and no promises made to break.

with the maxi you are talking about an item for a niche market that a source part happens to be nearly identical to a direct competitor. how does that happen? And you are having issues with that part. Does the DOS have similar hose splitting issues? If not why? If so, then why?

I personally haven’t had much for problems with my ghl items. The issues I have had where my fault. I generally found answers pretty quick with a simple search. I try to help others get sorted when I can. But I definitely don’t sit and stalk waiting for complaints.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the heads went from 350ish ml/min to 250ish ml/min. Very concerning due to my AWC setup. Almost caused a flood. I tried swapping the head to the other motor that was pushing out 350ish and had same low output. I swapped out the external tubing and it went to 300ish. I'm just not sure what's going on with it. Like I said, just waiting for an opportunity to swap in a DOS head.
That is a strange issue. Especially since the low flow moved when you swapped heads. I assume you did full head calibrations to see the amounts.

I'm guessing your AWC set up is to remove X amount of water and then add back the same. Also guessing it's the siphon side that is having trouble and not pulling the water out of your system. Hense why you said it nearly flooded your place. I would love it if GHL would allow for a SHUT OFF sensor. Basically if the water level rises to the sensor it shuts off the operation. So for AWC actions it would never be able to over fill a sump.

Below are some thoughts on what to try. Possibly a loss of siphon in the line on the bad head. Meaning there is a air leak some place. So when the pump is trying to pull water air is getting pulled in at the same time. Or a line collapsing from the siphon.

1. What kind of tubing are you using to pull water to the Pump head?-----I use rigid 1/4" RO tubing.

2. How far are you pulling water?-----Over a certain distance the pump may not be able to pull the water so easily.

2a. Is a line clogged?-----Check your lines for anything that might be in them or blocking them.

3. How many connections are you running?-----A connection could be loose and allowing air in.

4. How is the tubing connected to the pump head?-----I changed the connection of my head to RO tubing connectors as I had problems with the original connections leaking and not able to maintain a siphon. See the mod at the bottom of this post.

5. Is the pump head (blue cover) fully locked in place?-----I had an issue where my cover wouldn't fully engage and lock and this would cause the pump head to not pump the correct amount of water. Once you install the pump head give it a good pull test to see if it's fully seated.

6. Do you have the latest firmware installed?-----Not sure if this would matter or not but if you installed new firmware did you re calibrate?

Here's the modification I did on the Maxi Doser head to make it hold RO tubing better.

Last edited:

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,
If you set the Maxi up to do AWC using the 2 float method, it works off water level and not amount dosed. The cycle starts at your designated time, removes water until the lower float is triggered, the refills until the upper float is at the correct level. You can also set a time frame so if the operation over runs the allotted time, it will stop and report an error. Also if you are using a GHL doser for ATO, it will automatically halt that during the AWC so you are not filling with RO/DI water while the level is low.
As a plus, since you are using floats to monitor the water change, there is no need to calibrate the Maxi. I do (2) 1.5 gal/day AWC using this method for over 10 months, never had an issue. Salinity is rock solid.
Also, since I'm using a 2.1 doser for ATO, it's not calibrated either.

1612348092431.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,
If you set the Maxi up to do AWC using the 2 float method, it works off water level and not amount dosed. The cycle starts at your designated time, removes water until the lower float is triggered, the refills until the upper float is at the correct level. You can also set a time frame so if the operation over runs the allotted time, it will stop and report an error. Also if you are using a GHL doser for ATO, it will automatically halt that during the AWC so you are not filling with RO/DI water while the level is low.
As a plus, since you are using floats to monitor the water change, there is no need to calibrate the Maxi. I do (2) 1.5 gal/day AWC using this method for over 10 months, never had an issue. Salinity is rock solid.
Also, since I'm using a 2.1 doser for ATO, it's not calibrated either.

1612348092431.png

Nope, not what I was meaning. I want a emergency float/sensor in case of an over fill situation like what was happening to the poster above when his AWC was filling and not pulling enough water.

I actually used the method you show for a while and switched to a measured method of take out X and add back X. The reason I switched was to cut down on salinity issues I was having. I was having the AWC fill to the top sensor and then shut off the operation. Then right afterwards the ATO would start running to top off the tank. I was always fighting salinity issues. When I switched to a measured out and in method all my salinity issues when away. I was actually able to add or adjust back enough salt water to compensate for loss from the KH Director waste and Skimmer waste. Really stabilized my system nicely.

Last edited:

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not what I was meaning. I want a emergency float/sensor in case of an over fill situation like what was happening to the poster above when his AWC was filling and not pulling enough water.
Ken, sorry but you lost me.
If his AWC was filling, and not pulling enough water, how would it over fill?
There also is a user set time frame that if the operation takes to long, it's shuts the entire process down until you correct the issue.
I also have a MAX level float in my sump that's above the AWC upper float to shut the operation down.
Is that what you mean?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken, sorry but you lost me.
If his AWC was filling, and not pulling enough water, how would it over fill?
There also is a user set time frame that if the operation takes to long, it's shuts the entire process down until you correct the issue.
I also have a MAX level float in my sump that's above the AWC upper float to shut the operation down.
Is that what you mean?
edited my above post.. You read that to fast LOL....

The User is utilizing the measured method water change. So the users system was set up to remove 350ml and add back 350ml. With his pump not working right on the removal of the water it was actually only removing 200ml and he was adding back 350ml. Giving him a surplus of 150ml per operation. So lets say he is doing this operation 24 times a day, that's 3600ml per day of water that stays in the sump and shouldn't. That's nearly a gallon of excess water in his sump per day.

The User set time limit doesn't work with this function as it's operating strictly on a measured amount of fluid. Think of it as a dosing function.

So in this users case a sensor when triggered could shut off the dosing pumps in question. There is probably a way to program this function in PL. But GHL could make this much easier for the end user if they wanted to. Also I hate Programable logic and in this case it eludes me on how to program a dosing pump to shut off when a sensor is triggered.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,
Gotcha, and I do understand the other person's problem with varying amounts, I was responding to you question about a safety measure. It's all good.
PL can be a pain, but it's can also do a lot. I'm sure someone will chime in on how to set up an upper level shutoff, but I'll research once I have a few free minutes. Work is getting in the way!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited my above post.. You read that to fast LOL....

The User is utilizing the measured method water change. So the users system was set up to remove 350ml and add back 350ml. With his pump not working right on the removal of the water it was actually only removing 200ml and he was adding back 350ml. Giving him a surplus of 150ml per operation. So lets say he is doing this operation 24 times a day, that's 3600ml per day of water that stays in the sump and shouldn't. That's nearly a gallon of excess water in his sump per day.

The User set time limit doesn't work with this function as it's operating strictly on a measured amount of fluid. Think of it as a dosing function.

So in this users case a sensor when triggered could shut off the dosing pumps in question. There is probably a way to program this function in PL. But GHL could make this much easier for the end user if they wanted to. Also I hate Programable logic and in this case it eludes me on how to program a dosing pump to shut off when a sensor is triggered.

We are hijacking this thread. Let's stick to the OP's original intention.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are hijacking this thread. Let's stick to the OP's original intention.
I don’t care if we hijack this thread.. The OP is a jerk..he’s so negative.. ;)

Hopefully you saw my post above on things to look at to help with your Maxi Doser.

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,
Gotcha, and I do understand the other person's problem with varying amounts, I was responding to you question about a safety measure. It's all good.
PL can be a pain, but it's can also do a lot. I'm sure someone will chime in on how to set up an upper level shutoff, but I'll research once I have a few free minutes. Work is getting in the way!
I think for PL for this you set up a dummy dosing pump with your dose schedule and dose amount. Then create a PL gate that is high sensor inverted (assuming high sensor is on when water level high) AND dummy dosing pump. Then set a dummy switch to that PL gate and set your actual AWC pump to the dummy switch. It should the run only if dosing schedule is triggered and high water not tripped (I think but please test ).

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They owe me an item I purchase from them to be fully functional and not get accused of something that is their fault.

For instance, the Maxi Doser, I bought two. Both have had the lines split. On the first time it happened I contacted the customer support system that they have and I was told it was likely a snail or sand that got in the line. Since the line was clearly split from the outside in. Neither is possible as I run a bare bottom and none of my snails which are the size of a quarter would ever fit in the tubing. They were provided clear pictures and really they came off arrogant and foolish. Now many others have seen this same line split problem... Yea, they could at the very least offer an apology and have been willing to replace the line that split. But nope, they are silent as always.

Bad support.. Yea that’s what I got.. Nope they don’t owe me anything. But I’m also not going to give them a free ride so next time you feel like BLOWING the GHL horn in support of them there are others who will post negatively just the same.

I didn’t drag you into this posting about GHL discontinuing an item. You chose to post in it. No one asked for your flowery “GHL is great”. Report. You volunteered it, yes, there are others that disagree. GHL isn’t the great product you claim it is. And there support system is ridiculous.
GHL has given me great customer support and service. I did have an issue with my maxi, a head would get stuck during high speed dosing. So I send them an email, they asked me to try a few things. I did, and the problem persisted so they sent me a replacement head. It was a painless process. So I’m not sure why you had a different experience. But based off this message I’m guessing that GHL isn’t the only company you have hand a poor customer service experience with.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL has given me great customer support and service. I did have an issue with my maxi, a head would get stuck during high speed dosing. So I send them an email, they asked me to try a few things. I did, and the problem persisted so they sent me a replacement head. It was a painless process. So I’m not sure why you had a different experience. But based off this message I’m guessing that GHL isn’t the only company you have hand a poor customer service experience with.
Was this before or after the Maxi Doser was discontinued? I believe @AZMSGT is upset about it being discontinued.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this before or after the Maxi Doser was discontinued? I believe @AZMSGT is upset about it being discontinued.
It's not discontinued... This has been coveredin the past. If you aren't aware, they have a supplier issue for the pump heads that they are trying to work through.

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in July I got my support. I just wanted to provide a counter balance to the negative comments about GHL support. As someone who spent their hard earned money, need support. And then received great support, I wanted to voice my opinion.

As for AZMSGT my point was that he comes off as a hot head and kinda of a jerk. And shockingly people like that tend to get poorer customer support. Which makes them mad and then they unload on the support people which makes them less inclined to help. So I have no doubt AZMSGT had poor support but I think AZMSGT probably owns more of the blame than he/she is willing to admit.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in July I got my support. I just wanted to provide a counter balance to the negative comments about GHL support. As someone who spent their hard earned money, need support. And then received great support, I wanted to voice my opinion.

As for AZMSGT my point was that he comes off as a hot head and kinda of a jerk. And shockingly people like that tend to get poorer customer support. Which makes them mad and then they unload on the support people which makes them less inclined to help. So I have no doubt AZMSGT had poor support but I think AZMSGT probably owns more of the blame than he/she is willing to admit.
Never said you were wrong.. ;) Just that I bet it has a lot to do with the timing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back