Maxima Clam with slightly retracted mantel

I ended up dipping the clam for 20 minutes last night in some RO water of the same temperature, ph, and alkalinity as the tank water. He closed up fairly tight near the end of the dip, but opened up a bit when i put him back in. I'm interested to see if the mantle extension improves when the lights cut back on today.
 
That area seems to still be retracted. . . I'm starting to think that it may not be a traditional pinching infection. It doesn't appear that the dip had a significant negative impact; so I may try a 30 min dip in a few days to double check.
IMG_20190725_133734.jpg
 
Last edited:
My clams will sometimes pull part of the mantle back like that for a couple days at a time, sometimes it aptasia but not always. FW dips never worked for me with clams like that, I find its best left alone, although it's easier said than done. In the past 5 years or so I have not seen any PMD although it was common 10 years ago or so. My initial gut reaction is that it wasn't looking very good and was on its way out, but they do some crazy things.

Hope it pulled through for you! Really a pretty clam. At 8" it's very likely wild and those can be really tricky.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new