Maxima Clam with slightly retracted mantel

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this 8" maxima clam for about 5 or 6 weeks now. The mantle was a bit retracted when I got it initially but has since, improved, however one of the sides appears to be not extended nearly as well as the other. It also has some pinched areas on the one end that haven't improved in weeks. I've been checking for new growth and haven't found any. Currently, I have it in an area that gets 320 PAR at peak times and is getting medium flow. I found a couple pyramid snails on it initially, but since cleaning it, I've thoroughly cleaned and checked it 4 times over several weeks and couldn't find any additional snails. I'm not really sure if I should just wait it out and see if it gets better, or if there's something else I should try, like a fw dip. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Parameters:
Cal: 450
Alk: 9
PH: 8-8.2
Mag: 1400
Phos: 0-0.1
Nit: 10
PICS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E7uOUJcQLK70ZDt7Dj6Qd_qVsAAdO5da/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_TUDzabkK_zwDsT_ahIpsenbZKZIdNjy/view?usp=sharing

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams can be easily upset, so maybe in cleaning it (which you had to remove the snails and clean) the clam became upset. I do not see major pinching at all in the pictures. If they continue to contract in, I would freshwater dip. For now, leave it be a while. Do you have any fish that may be nipping? Very pretty guy there.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams can be easily upset, so maybe in cleaning it (which you had to remove the snails and clean) the clam became upset. I do not see major pinching at all in the pictures. If they continue to contract in, I would freshwater dip. For now, leave it be a while. Do you have any fish that may be nipping? Very pretty guy there.
I haven't seen any nipping. How soon should I be seeing signs of new growth?

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should see some soon if not by now. How are you maintaining Ca and Mg?
I only have a couple sps and lps frags so my calcium depletes very slowly and I only have to dose calcium every 3 weeks or so when it gets down to 380-400. My magnesium depletes even slower. My alkalinity I keep at 9 with a doser utilizing soda ash.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam will deplete it pretty fast. Just make sure to keep those numbers up. Just in case you have never kept clams before. With an 8", if it was harvested instead of captive grown, it could have some damage we do not know about internally. Keep and eye on it and wish for the best. Not too many things can help a sick clam. Good luck and I hope it does great for you.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting it out. I cranked up the lighting a bit so it's getting close to 400 PAR. I've been feeding some reefroids twice weekly as well (not sure if clams benefit from foods other than phyto). The pinching seems about the same. I'm still unsure if a fw dip would help or if it'd worsen its health. . .

IMG_20190719_150657.jpg

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something is irritating it on the bottom right. Could it be getting stung by a coral or any vermited snails web?

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something is irritating it on the bottom right. Could it be getting stung by a coral or any vermited snails web?
I don't think it could be getting stung, there aren't any corals close by. How do I identify if it has a vermited snail on it?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those snails are the ones that look like tubes that throw webs out when you feed the tank. I’m just throwing ideas out

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks irritated there on the bottom right (looking at it). check for vermatid snails, aiptasia, acheck side of shell (if you can look without moving it) closely in case the shell is maybe damaged there too. If worsens, time to do freshwater dip.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks irritated there on the bottom right (looking at it). check for vermatid snails, aiptasia, acheck side of shell (if you can look without moving it) closely in case the shell is maybe damaged there too. If worsens, time to do freshwater dip.
There's a fair amount of hair algae on that side so its hard to say for sure, but I didn't see any aiptasia or vermatids.
How much longer should I wait for it to improve, before I dip it?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say how long. Keep an eye on it and any further pinching, dip. Any other signs of going south, dip. Maximas are so touchy that sometimes moving them to dip will end them too.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say how long. Keep an eye on it and any further pinching, dip. Any other signs of going south, dip. Maximas are so touchy that sometimes moving them to dip will end them too.
Yeah, I've heard that the fw dip can be super stressful on them. I'll keep an eye on it and dip it if it starts taking a turn for the worse. Thanks so much for your advise.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might be starting to gape. Not sure if I'm overreacting. . .

IMG_20190724_142943.jpg IMG_20190724_142925.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They open up and spread wide when healthy too. However, it is definitely retracting that side. I may be considering a dip. I see the algae on the side, may want to scrape it off if you can.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this article. Sounds like a RO dip on the maxima is not recommended. I have never actually dipped any of my many clams in RO or FW. I have dipped them in a full salt and lugols dip before. Not sure if it helped things or not really.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/maxima-clam-with-slightly-retracted-mantel.630833/

My clams either lived happily till something ate them (snail, butterfly, foxface,) or died rather quickly. Except some babies that would do great until I went on vacation and then would get upset and die. Crazy things.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this article. Sounds like a RO dip on the maxima is not recommended. I have never actually dipped any of my many clams in RO or FW. I have dipped them in a full salt and lugols dip before. Not sure if it helped things or not really.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/maxima-clam-with-slightly-retracted-mantel.630833/

My clams either lived happily till something ate them (snail, butterfly, foxface,) or died rather quickly. Except some babies that would do great until I went on vacation and then would get upset and die. Crazy things.
What article?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back