OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up dipping the clam for 20 minutes last night in some RO water of the same temperature, ph, and alkalinity as the tank water. He closed up fairly tight near the end of the dip, but opened up a bit when i put him back in. I'm interested to see if the mantle extension improves when the lights cut back on today.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That area seems to still be retracted. . . I'm starting to think that it may not be a traditional pinching infection. It doesn't appear that the dip had a significant negative impact; so I may try a 30 min dip in a few days to double check.
IMG_20190725_133734.jpg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clams will sometimes pull part of the mantle back like that for a couple days at a time, sometimes it aptasia but not always. FW dips never worked for me with clams like that, I find its best left alone, although it's easier said than done. In the past 5 years or so I have not seen any PMD although it was common 10 years ago or so. My initial gut reaction is that it wasn't looking very good and was on its way out, but they do some crazy things.

Hope it pulled through for you! Really a pretty clam. At 8" it's very likely wild and those can be really tricky.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back