Maxima clam

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby ultra blue maxima clam that's only a little larger than an inch. So far, he's doing great, however no matter how many times I stand him up, even if I put rock around him to keep him from falling over, he always winds back on his side. I see countless pictures of clams with their mantle pointed towards the lights, but if he's doing great on his side, should I just leave him?

Whenever he's pointed upwards, he begins to attach his foot, but then the next morning he'll be on his side again.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby ultra blue maxima clam that's only a little larger than an inch. So far, he's doing great, however no matter how many times I stand him up, even if I put rock around him to keep him from falling over, he always winds back on his side. I see countless pictures of clams with their mantle pointed towards the lights, but if he's doing great on his side, should I just leave him?

Whenever he's pointed upwards, he begins to attach his foot, but then the next morning he'll be on his side again.
I would not leave him on his side. Have you tried an empty clam shell as a cradle? Or posibly use a dremel tool to make a spot in a piece of rock?

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not leave him on his side. Have you tried an empty clam shell as a cradle? Or posibly use a dremel tool to make a spot in a piece of rock?

Unless I literally wedge him between something so that he's stuck, he keeps wanting to lay down on his side. Very frustrating lol. Is it ok to wedge them between something when they're small like mine?

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a typical issue with smaller clams. I would put the clam on a flat rock or a clam hammock with a little curvature just under the sand. The clam needs to be able to attach its byssal threads to keep it stable.

So coincidently a happy accident just occurred. He must have jumped off the rock he was on and landed perfectly straight up on a lower, adjacent rock. Only problem is he's a little close to a bta.
IMG_3527.JPG

We'll see how long he lasts. It's a great spot for a clam, just not as much light. I hear maximas can adjust to moderate light so.. Keeping my fingers crossed.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes with the small ones, I put some sand in the Hammock and then it keeps them upright. They end up attaching pretty quickly and then you can blow the sand out with a turkey baster. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the advice. I think the little guy fell again :( I do have one spot where he'd definitely stay put, but it's near the bottom of the tank. Do you think that'll be enough light for him? 30 inch tall tank with 8 bulb ati sunpower. The spot I'm thinking of is about four inches from the bottom

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. Although I have a squammy and a derassa, they both were tiny and and just walked around the tank till they were happy.

I was running about 200 par on the sand though.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. Although I have a squammy and a derassa, they both were tiny and and just walked around the tank till they were happy.

I was running about 200 par on the sand though.

How much par do you think I'd have for my situation? Reference the above post

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the tank , under 12 in you should be fine for sure.
Gut conservative guess is 125-160?

It's seven inches. Maybe that's why it keeps moving, too much light. Everywhere I read says high light, so I've been thinking high, like sps range. I think I'll have much better luck this time now that I'll have it lower. I'll update tomorrow.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's seven inches. Maybe that's why it keeps moving, too much light. Everywhere I read says high light, so I've been thinking high, like sps range. I think I'll have much better luck this time now that I'll have it lower. I'll update tomorrow.
Might just be adjusting and acclimating as well too.
One problem with having all this reef light data in my head, I know how much par corals and clams get in the lfs by looking.

I’ll just say , I was going to suggest to one that they move the clams to under the lights.
But they were already empty shells.

IMO , you could be blasting them.
150-170 per tube at 12 in.
X 8. That’s 1200+ par by my math and many ati par examples I’ve seen back that up.
That’s good in the long run. Maxima have no photo inhibiton point like coral.

Thanks for posting this btw, clam behavior isn’t usually reported. Kinda interesting.

Wirat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If none of the suggestions above work I keep mine in a really wide piece of PVC buried enough in the sand to where you dont see it. Works well and never had it fall over.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If none of the suggestions above work I keep mine in a really wide piece of PVC buried enough in the sand to where you dont see it. Works well and never had it fall over.

Sounds like a good plan, but my tanks bare bottom. I'm sure I'd be able to rig something up like that though. So far since placing it in a crevice on a low rock, it's been good. My next step is going to be epoxy...

Just kidding..

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deresa and Squamosa being sand dwellers are better than the rock dwellers (Maxima, Crocea, Noae, etc.) at not tipping over... although they still can. Clams do not have to jump to escape high light - they can regulate mantle extension for this. Most of the time, mine have fallen over because a snail nudged them or a fish swam by too close.

Back