Maxima clam

farris giffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I have a new maxima clam it’s not the brightest in colour however still stunning . Recently my triplespot wrasse was interested in it but today she full on went for it now a small part of the edge has a slight tear , will it recover ? Also any tips on trying to help it ? I have just double checked all water parameters just to make sure it’s in the best quality water , I can provide these if you need them

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Clams are usually very resilient!

A91466B2-6F65-4C00-A0B2-35C13F04023C.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I have a new maxima clam it’s not the brightest in colour however still stunning . Recently my triplespot wrasse was interested in it but today she full on went for it now a small part of the edge has a slight tear , will it recover ? Also any tips on trying to help it ? I have just double checked all water parameters just to make sure it’s in the best quality water , I can provide these if you need them

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Just the other day was reading how age of some clams also determines their (lack of) vivid colors. Someone was looking for a certain blue and realized had to be at least X years old before color got really pretty and vivid. Not sure if it applies here, but was an interesting tidbit.

Yes likely it can recover but not if it continues to be nipped by wrasse. You'll want to ensure feeding well since its a filter feeder (since you mention 'best quality' water, some think clear water, but suspended nutrients can keep that water from looking 'best' or polished)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

OP
OP
F

farris giffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Just the other day was reading how age of some clams also determines their (lack of) vivid colors. Someone was looking for a certain blue and realized had to be at least X years old before color got really pretty and vivid. Not sure if it applies here, but was an interesting tidbit.

Yes likely it can recover but not if it continues to be nipped by wrasse. You'll want to ensure feeding well since its a filter feeder (since you mention 'best quality' water, some think clear water, but suspended nutrients can keep that water from looking 'best' or polished)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Yeah that’s a fair shout will have a look into the age thing

I have chucked a fish trap in so hoping to catch her , I am feeding live phytoplankton every other day . so I’m also keeping an eye on my nutrients
•phosphate - 0.06 ppm
•nitrate - 5 ppm

Yeah I will 100% have a look into that thanks for the help

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! In a pinch, you can enclose the clam in a poly screen if it hasn't attached yet. As others have said clams are resilient but to a point. You'll likely have to decide between the clam and the wrasse. Once the wrasse has a taste it will likely continue to snack on it. I got a clam about a half an inch. Not very colorful but still very cool. I carved out a cup in a piece of rubble and place it in there and covered it with poly screen material to give it the best chance. It did fine till the piece of rubble fell and got covered for about a week with another rock during routine tank maintenance. I didn't notice that it was gone. Found it, finally, and it looked even paler than before. It detached as did the screen protection and reattached lower. It is doing fine and is a little over an inch now but since it is lower in the tank its color hasn't come back as much as I would like. Still trucking though. So, give it as much light as you can to give it the best color to a point. Depending on the light you have will determine where you may want to place it.

OP
OP
F

farris giffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! In a pinch, you can enclose the clam in a poly screen if it hasn't attached yet. As others have said clams are resilient but to a point. You'll likely have to decide between the clam and the wrasse. Once the wrasse has a taste it will likely continue to snack on it. I got a clam about a half an inch. Not very colorful but still very cool. I carved out a cup in a piece of rubble and place it in there and covered it with poly screen material to give it the best chance. It did fine till the piece of rubble fell and got covered for about a week with another rock during routine tank maintenance. I didn't notice that it was gone. Found it, finally, and it looked even paler than before. It detached as did the screen protection and reattached lower. It is doing fine and is a little over an inch now but since it is lower in the tank its color hasn't come back as much as I would like. Still trucking though. So, give it as much light as you can to give it the best color to a point. Depending on the light you have will determine where you may want to place it.

Yeah chose the clam over the wrasse I believe she was the one who killed my derasa now . I don’t want to be limited to what I can and can’t keep because I have wanted to keep a clam for ages .

Thanks for the help

OP
OP
F

farris giffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Just an update I couldn’t catch the wrasse for a couple days finally caught her yesterday ! The clam is doing really well and coloured up beautifully , I think if it carry’s on doing so then it will 100% be the most beautiful thing in my tank

as I said before thanks for the help and kind words I really appreciate it

OP
OP
F

farris giffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic not great and the clams a bit shut but you get the idea when I bought the clam it was only that purple colour but now it’s got blue streaks and tiny beige spots it’s stunning when its mantle is fully extended

Attachments

• 5A7F16ED-83F8-4388-80F4-B5EE6274EA64.png
    5A7F16ED-83F8-4388-80F4-B5EE6274EA64.png
    950.9 KB · Views: 40

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back