Max's 90 Gal Cube Extravaganza!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a land far, far away there was a man on a mission to make the worlds OKest cube tank!

It started on craigslist where I got 2 Kessil A160we Tunas, the 90 gal tank and stand, and a random powerhead that is currently making the loundest, most irritating noise I've ever heard.

My first issue was I needed a sump, and here's where I went to town.
1563408534484.png

I had seen someone do this before but I didn't have much to go on. It's two 20 longs with a Jax Racks DIY baffle kit used to make chambers. They're joined up front by a union. Cube sumps were rather pricey so I figured why not?
While I don't want to admit this, I busted the first two 20 longs I had trying to do this. Drilling glass that thin for the first time - the odds were stacked against me.

Next issue was the baffling. I used a piece of acrylic that came with the set that had holes in it to section off the return pump section in the back right. Filled in the holes with silicone and then just siliconed her down. Holds well! But I would like ideas for a mesh to maybe use to section off the return pump better from the fuge? I don't want it sending up mashed brittle star from time to time.

1563409007526.png

I decided to go with a Jebao DCP-4000 solely because it was the cheapest pump that had an integrated method of controlling return speed. I later found out that the controller portion was doo doo but oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

The next issue on the list is this horrid hose clamp infested contraption I came up with to use for a return. In theory it'd work amazing but the tank is next to my bed in my room - the water hitting a 90 degree angle like that and rushing horizontally then hitting another then splitting was an engineering nightmare. It was then retired and replaced by some PVC.
1563410115763.png

I am having a big problem with bubbling in the sump which creates a foam on top of the water in the first chamber. Ideas?
Also looking for skimmer recomendations.

I also re-purposed an office trashcan and took a second hand ATO unit from a friend to use temporarily.

Here's where the display is at now.
1563410405471.png

Looking for ideas and advice about anything and everything. Excited to have 3/4 of a 20 long to use as a fuge. Will update in due time.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool stuff, Max! Following along!

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good! Newest additions equipment wise are this pretty sweet BRS dual reactor I got from the Marketplace here on the forums. Came w/o tubing, fittings, etc so I had to improvise. Initially I thought I was going to put it inside the stand but my cube is rather squatty and they wouldn't really fit. Then I thought I could just partially submerge the reactors in the sump but I thought meh why waste the space. So a night of contemplation later and this is what I came up with.
1564107539561.png

1564107565626.png

The design is growing on me and I really like it on the outside of the stand. The PVC makes it look pretty clean. I also like how the area taken up inside the stand by the pipes is next to nothing. I would be lying if I said I thought for a second I could just run it off the manifold but the idea of keeping that system separate and easily being able to take it offline was appealing. Although, the price for a good sicce pump to run it on - not so much.

Next, in my very sad looking refugium I got a little baggy of chaeto that was loaded with brittle stars which arrived mostly DOA which was disappointing but oh well. I'm going to run one of those UFO GROW lights that they sell on ebay for like 35 bucks which will be plenty to cover the 10 gal or so refugium.

I want to put some marine pure block or something of the liking in the chamber after the skimmer (That I don't have yet, lol), before the refugium. I'm wondering if liverock rubble is a better alternative?

I'm torn on a skimmer because honestly I expected to find a killer deal by now but all the popular and proven skimmer all keep their value (Like a Toyota or a Honda does). Eventually I'll suck it up and shell out some big bucks for a good one.

Bought a Maxspect Gyre XF-150 w/ controller for 80 on the Marketplace so hey at least I'll get some flow soon?!

Starting to think about fish but I'm nervous. I eventually want a tang I just heard they're rather finicky.

Still having a really bad foam problem from my return. Sorta lame!

Would love some feedback!

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 93Gallon Cube Outdoor Patio Tank(s), 6 months in.
IMG_1053.jpg

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reply to your wanting a tang, I will tell you, in my experience, they are one of the hardiest fish once established. But tangs need a lot of space and I don’t not know how a cube would be. What is you’re footprint

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reply to your wanting a tang, I will tell you, in my experience, they are one of the hardiest fish once established. But tangs need a lot of space and I don’t not know how a cube would be. What is you’re footprint
30x30x25

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn’t put a tang in that foot print. I had a 36” long tank and wouldn’t put a tang in it

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you get a lid, some reef safe wrasses would definitely be at the top of my list (dont get a sixline, they are a TERROR!!). and you technically could house a small tang, but you would probably have to rehome it later on. If you want active fish, wrasses are definitely a good one. additionally, a dwarf angel would do great in your system, but it depends if you want reef safe or not.

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dust off this thread for a six month update

I went with a Bubble Magus APS which is essentially the curve 7 with a bigger skimmer cup.

I upgraded lighting to an Aquatic Life t5 Hybrid working alongside my 2 kessil a160we

Nothing special with any other equipment but I did although I DID add a tang despite being advised not to. He's about an inch and a quarter and he seems extremely happy. Once I think otherwise I'll remove him immediately.

Haven't had to change the water in a couple months thanks to the wonderful work of dosing :).
I mounted the t5 hybrid by cutting one of my bed slats in half and drilling it to my wall. It's not ghetto, it's innovative ;)
Sorry the picture is sideways but, you get the idea.
1582153442214.png

1582153322581.png

1582153091149.png

Back