Outdoor Patio Reef Tank

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After owning a Nano tank for 7 months, decided to deep dive into a full on mixed reef tank. We were building a new home and decided to make it an outdoor patio reef tank.
i had the aluminum stand custom built to support a large tank and house & hide all the equipment below. Went with a 93 Gall cube to keep the furthest away from any direct sunlight, since the house is North/South, it doesn't get any direct sun. My patio area is also screened in.
IMG_0516.jpg

Custom plumbing & Electric. The Chiller was placed to the far right to exhaust the heat away from the tank.
IMG_0551.jpg

34 Trigger Sump
Oct 260 Skimmer
Neptune Apex
IMG_0567.jpg

6 Months into it, decided to add a 22 Gallon Frag Tank
IMG_1030.jpg

Month 7 into my Project below
IMG_1053.jpg

Yes, you have to pay close attention for an outdoor tank, the Apex is a must!
I also keep back up pumps, and an extra 1/2 Chiller on standby. But with the right equipment, this tank is alot of fun!

Were else can you grill a steak, have a fridge with cold beers, and check out a mixed Reef Tank on your patio!
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg

OP
OP
Rick Ginn

Rick Ginn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cool idea!
That's impressive ,what's the average summertime outside temp? I live in FL where its routinely I. The high 90s so I cant imagine what running the chiller would cost.
I have a large DC Celing fan, tanks always in the shade. Air temp aroung 85-86 in this position. 1/2 Chiller runs 6x a day during peak summer, kicks on @80, knocks down 78. I can bump up 1 more degree, but waiting for it to be seasoned 1 year before bumping.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After owning a Nano tank for 7 months, decided to deep dive into a full on mixed reef tank. We were building a new home and decided to make it an outdoor patio reef tank.
i had the aluminum stand custom built to support a large tank and house & hide all the equipment below. Went with a 93 Gall cube to keep the furthest away from any direct sunlight, since the house is North/South, it doesn't get any direct sun. My patio area is also screened in.
IMG_0516.jpg

Custom plumbing & Electric. The Chiller was placed to the far right to exhaust the heat away from the tank.
IMG_0551.jpg

34 Trigger Sump
Oct 260 Skimmer
Neptune Apex
IMG_0567.jpg

6 Months into it, decided to add a 22 Gallon Frag Tank
IMG_1030.jpg

Month 7 into my Project below
IMG_1053.jpg

Yes, you have to pay close attention for an outdoor tank, the Apex is a must!
I also keep back up pumps, and an extra 1/2 Chiller on standby. But with the right equipment, this tank is alot of fun!

Were else can you grill a steak, have a fridge with cold beers, and check out a mixed Reef Tank on your patio!
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg
Loving it, thanks for sharing, comrade

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank and outdoor kitchen! What state are you in? Here in SC it'd be quite a challenge keeping bugs and pollen out of it.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is condensation an issue on the outside of the glass from the humidity?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank and outdoor kitchen! What state are you in? Here in SC it'd be quite a challenge keeping bugs and pollen out of it.

I will address bugs & pollen: Nature’s Way to carbon dose and encourage micro biodiversity at bacteria plankton level in food chain.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back