Maxspect Ethereal vs. Kessil A360X

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a tank leak on Tuesday, and unfortunately the water got all over the power supply and controller for my DIY light... so I'm in the market for a new light for the left half of my 55g tank. It's a standard 48" x 13" 55g, 21" deep, so the space I need to light is 24" x 13"With what I'm comfortable spending ($450-$550), there are a handful of options that look attractive to me.

I've basically narrowed it down to two options (though I'm open to other suggestions as well), which you can probably guess by the thread title: The Maxspect Ethereal and the Kessil A360X.

My primary concern is the overall ability of these lights to equal or exceed the performance of the old light. I was getting approximately 400 PAR about 6" below the water level, about 150 down in the sand in the corners of the tank. After that, broad spectrum, controllability, and overall aesthetics are important to me.

The right side of the tank has a pair of Kessil A160WE pendants over it, so I have a slight bias towards the Kessil... but not enough to outright decide in its favor. If I could spend less (factoring in the cost of the external controller for the Kessil) and get the same performance off of the Ethereal, I'd be happy to go that way.

So, users of these lights - how has your long-term experience been with them? Anything you regret, anything you don't like about them? Or if there's another light that's done well for you in that budget, what light am I overlooking?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the 360x, but I have 2 360we over my 40b. I was looking at the maxspect as well but ended up going with the kessils and I’m glad I did! I love them. Easy to use. Pretty much plug and play. The x might have a few more adjustment options.

I like the shimmer of the kessils too. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I’ve seen some nice reefs under both lights

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the 360x, but I have 2 360we over my 40b. I was looking at the maxspect as well but ended up going with the kessils and I’m glad I did! I love them. Easy to use. Pretty much plug and play. The x might have a few more adjustment options.

I like the shimmer of the kessils too. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I’ve seen some nice reefs under both lights

Yeah, the shimmer is pretty nice on the Kessils... I love the way the corals look in the Kessil side of my tank, but they did seem a little underpowered, and that's probably one reason I haven't just pulled the trigger on the A360X yet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back