Votes: 175 49.0%

• Total voters

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was running the gyre 130 horizontally in a BC29 for a couple of weeks and while I still had some dead spots (I have a lot of LR) all my LPS were loving it and opening up more than I've really ever seen. I got a good deal on 2 MP10esw's and have been trying them out for about 4 days now. So far I don't think I've found the right placement as I have several dead spots and my LPS are not as "puffy" a they were with the gyre (or even when I only had a jebao wp-4) so I'm still experimenting.

But if I had to choose right now, I'd pick the gyre hands down simply due to my corals seeming to be more happy when it was in my tank.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a 30g cube that is mostly LPS, would you say Vortech or Gyre?

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its got a lot of rockwork, does that make a difference?

I have tried both mp10 and gyre 130 on my custom 30 gallon that is 42" long.
I think the gyre is great for longer tanks but might be too much for yours with half the width. I only run 1/2 of the gyre and still can't turn it up to full power.
The vortech has more flow patterns to play with and might work fine, I ran it on a 8 gallon for a while at low speed. It can also be hooked to a controller if you have one. It's hard to say one way or another about how your rock work will affect any PH.

Also, if you're going to spend that much on a PH then keep in mind customer service.
I had an issue the the mp10 and with a phone call I had a replacement part within 3 days covered by warranty.
I don't know what kind of customer support the gyre has so I'm not knocking them but Ecotech's was top notch.

I've also tried the Jebao RW4 and found that little thing to push lots water! I would say it's too much for your cube also with LPS because I only run it at its lowest power.

Just my 2 cents :tongue:

Dock Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running 2 Hydor 1500s on my 4' 120g and am looking to upgrade. The thing that drives me crazy about these is that I have to run them 24/7 because if I connect them to my RKL in wave mode, the clicking sound drives me insane. Do the Vortech or Gyre make this same clicking noise? I have a lot of live rock so these Koralias just aren't cutting it right now.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So for a 30g cube that is mostly LPS, would you say Vortech or Gyre?

Personally, I'd go with the Gyre-130.

I just finished my testing between the Gyre and 1, then 2 MP10's to see which setup worked best for me in my BC29 (about 25-ish Gal display). I have mostly all LPS (acan lords) and they absolutely love the current flow I get from the Gyre. I have a lot of LR and my tank is BB, so I don't mind "extra" flow (especially when the coral seem to love it).

No matter what I did, with the MP10's I still had too much direct flow "beating up" my acans (a problem I can't get around unless I remove LR, and I don't really want to do that). Back when I ran a RW-4 I could aim it up a little or "corner to corner" it so I could aim it away from from them. With the gyre, I just have it aimed upwards and there is no direct flow from a PH hitting any critters in my tank.

Anyway, I decided to keep the Gyre running and have since sold the 2 MP-10's I had.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm currently running 2 Hydor 1500s on my 4' 120g and am looking to upgrade. The thing that drives me crazy about these is that I have to run them 24/7 because if I connect them to my RKL in wave mode, the clicking sound drives me insane. Do the Vortech or Gyre make this same clicking noise? I have a lot of live rock so these Koralias just aren't cutting it right now.

I've had both the Vortechs and Gyre. The Gyre got a little noisy (not bad, but noticeable) when a snail crawled on it and was working his way across. The Vortechs are pretty quiet too as long as the dry and wet sides are aligned right.

At least that's been my experience.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this thread, glad you bumped it Reef guy. So now that the Gyre has been out for awhile, has anyone changed their opinion?

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"keep in mind customer service...." good point, has anyone dealt with Maxspect customer service yet?

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a gyre and mp40 on my tank. I think they both compliment each other.

One on each end does not leave any dead spots in my tank.

So instead of debating which one is better. I think ine should have both.

With gyre you will get laminar flow and with mp40 you will get control to create random flow.

Both together in one tank is unbeatable.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
"keep in mind customer service...." good point, has anyone dealt with Maxspect customer service yet?

Yep, I have. Had an issue with my 130 and they sent me new a replacement shaft and bushings and a new controller. Turned out to be the controller, but they didn't give me a hard time about sending replacement parts or anything like that. A couple of emails and they had me squared away.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a 6ft peninsula set up. I bought the 150 from a local reefer that decided not to use it (never opened). I plan on putting the gyre on the end and I've got two MP40s from my previous tank that will go on either side of the overflow box and closer to the bottom to help with nutrient export.

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Gyre 150 on my Elos 70 and it leaves nothing untouched at 40%...they have new magnetic mounts that are more rubberized on the coralvue website for $5 that eliminate the previous noise issues, much quieter than my old MP40 I ran. I did have the cable around my motor get damaged somehow, but I had a tracking number from coralvue within 3 hours of submitting my service ticket into them, for a brand new motor. I think they are aware of some of the initial issues, but they are rocket fast on the service part!

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the MP because I perfect less wires and stuff hanging in the tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back