Maxspect Gyre XF330 Battery Backup Help Needed

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
So I have recently purchased the Maxspect Gyre XF330 with two pumps. I had seen everywhere how they are great since you can connect them to battery backups and keep tanks alive during power outages. I live in Miami and hurricanes typically knock out power for extended periods of time. During hurricane Irma, my power was out for two weeks. So battery backups are very important to me. I have a system of a couple of deep cycle batteries to give me crazy extended power and the best is that I can take one out to my car to charge if I start to get low. (generators are not allowed in my building as I am on the 6th floor).

Now comes my issue/question. Before I purchased my gyres, I read the product manual, and Maxspect mentions that I can hook them up my battery backups but I would need to purchase a Power Switch Adapter(sold separately). See the screenshot of the manual below. No issue. I am fine spending the extra money on the adapter. But I come to find they don't seem to offer it for sale. Bulk reef support didn't know and said to contact CoralVue. Maxspect specific CoralVue customer support seems to have never heard of the adapter before. And tells me to buy their icecaps battery backup instead. But this will only run 2 gyre pumps for a day or so even at the auto reduced speed. Not really an option for hurricane season.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.06.32 PM.png

Coralvue also told me to buy the below Y cable....but the connectors seem to be incorrect. 2 males and one female compared to the 2 females and one male of the power switch adapter. So I think they were mistaken in suggesting this cable.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.11.24 PM.png

Does anyone have a suggestion? How has everyone else tied Gyres into their backups? Is this possible...or should I just return the Gyres and use a different powerhead?

@csmaxspect @Bulk Reef Supply Any help would be greatly appreciated since the gyres won't work for me if they can't connect to my backup system as the product manual says they can.

Thank you,
James

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the Coralvue Y cable. The male end goes on to the output of the battery. The female ends go into the pumps(a lot of people run 1 pump at each end of the aquarium). The Coralvue battery is 24V.

If you are using a 12 volt backup(the system you have now) you need the switch.

OP
OP
J

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the Coralvue Y cable. The male end goes on to the output of the battery. The female ends go into the pumps(a lot of people run 1 pump at each end of the aquarium). The Coralvue battery is 24V.

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that the icecap battery backup is 12V. How else would the gyre know that it was on battery power and lower the output to conserve energy?

From coralvue website on the V3 backup:

IceCap Battery Backup v3.0 Highlights​

• New model updated for 2021! This new version is 12V
I also see the same on BRS:
"Main Unit DC: Output: 12V x 2.5A max"

So the XF330 has two power inputs on the controller. One for pump #1 and one for pump #2. The Y cable supplied with the pumps allows you to use one power supply (love this). They both are female connectors to the controller.

1618292276330.png

So the Y cable pictured suggested by coralvue in my original post has two female connectors and would only really work if the battery was wired directly to the pumps instead of both 24v and 12v wired at the same time to enable it to automatically switch over to battery when the power goes out. Was that what you were suggesting?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dah, I left out you use the link cable(2 male ends). one end goes into the bottom port on the battery and the other end goes into the female port on the y cable.

Kobarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clarification for this one, I built a battery backup and have it hooked up with those Y cables but the second it is connected my second pump with turn off and will not turn back on.

Also does anyone know if you can have the controller keep both pumps on not just one?

OP
OP
J

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for everyone on the thread. So I spoke to Coral Vue. The adapter they still reference in their product manual is shipped with the last-gen Gyres standard. But they stopped offering it on their site and it can't be purchased (my feeling is that they want to force people to buy their battery backup...which is really underpowered in my opinion...especially for the price!!). After threatening to return the gyres since they were now useless to me without connecting to my battery backup, customer support did allow me to purchase the switch for $20. So if they give you a hard time, ask them to talk to the manager and you can still get one.

It is amazing. Now my XF330s work on my DIY battery back up and they run for days and days with no issue on battery. I clocked 7 days before I turned back to 24v...could have kept going. So I am finally ready for hurricane season.

The only issue I will mention. If you have an apex and turn off your gyres during feed mode, the battery backup does kick in, haha. So I installed a switch to cut battery power during feed mode. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

Hope this thread helps some of you.

Happy Reefing,
James

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for everyone on the thread. So I spoke to Coral Vue. The adapter they still reference in their product manual is shipped with the last-gen Gyres standard. But they stopped offering it on their site and it can't be purchased (my feeling is that they want to force people to buy their battery backup...which is really underpowered in my opinion...especially for the price!!). After threatening to return the gyres since they were now useless to me without connecting to my battery backup, customer support did allow me to purchase the switch for $20. So if they give you a hard time, ask them to talk to the manager and you can still get one.

It is amazing. Now my XF330s work on my DIY battery back up and they run for days and days with no issue on battery. I clocked 7 days before I turned back to 24v...could have kept going. So I am finally ready for hurricane season.

The only issue I will mention. If you have an apex and turn off your gyres during feed mode, the battery backup does kick in, haha. So I installed a switch to cut battery power during feed mode. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

Happy Reefing,
James
How much Amps your DIY battery backup?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the Icecap battery backup it has everything you need to run either a single or pair of gyres. You can also run two battery backups with a single gyre each. Just in case anyone was wondering what you need to run the Icecap battery backup with the Maxspect gyres.

Kobarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Reefing,
James
Thanks for the update going to try tomorrow calling and see what I can get. Do you have a actual part number incase they are a pain in the butt?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Reefing,
James
can you share what switch you installed for turning off battery power? thanks

DiamondHands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it literally just a switch that detects power loss to the 24 V and passes through the 12v in that case? If so, I think I can build one, but this is annoying. The part is supposed to be in the box. It is in the manual.

If I lived outside a hurricane area, I could live with a wimpy 2.5 Ah solution. I cannot though.

Kobarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Reefing,
James
I tried calling and it did not work. Would it be possible to get the part number from your order so I can be more direct with them?

jbablak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Reefing,
James
Can you provide a picture of this setup? I have the switch you referenced, and am not sure how it hooks up to the battery. Also - does it only power a single pump on battery? Thanks

DiamondHands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a picture of this setup? I have the switch you referenced, and am not sure how it hooks up to the battery. Also - does it only power a single pump on battery? Thanks
I haven't hooked it up yet; I just got one of the connectors and a backup delivered a few weeks ago. My user manual from Maxspect includes the full setup reference; will post up my setup on this thread when it is connected.

Here's the link to the product at Sewatec.

jbablak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't hooked it up yet; I just got one of the connectors and a backup delivered a few weeks ago. My user manual from Maxspect includes the full setup reference; will post up my setup on this thread when it is connected.

Here's the link to the product at Sewatec.
Thanks look forward to the pictures. How do you hook the battery to the switch. Is there a connector that fits into the switch and then has clamps to attach to the battery?

DiamondHands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks look forward to the pictures. How do you hook the battery to the switch. Is there a connector that fits into the switch and then has clamps to attach to the battery?
No, it's just a DC connector like you see on most power supplies; I'll figure out the size then solder up whatever connectors I need.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was your shipping? I'm getting $40 shipping. o_O

Here's the link to the product at Sewatec

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back