May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like clockwork.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reader that wants to preemptively move their reef out of a red sea tank into any other vessel can post here or in private chat and we'll do a skip cycle tank transfer, we have about 2 million dollars of reefs on file doing tank transfers in another thread so a continuance of that order of ops here will help ensure safe life transfers. There comes a point where simply waiting for a seam split isn't the best idea. Not everyone reading is at that threshold yet, more breaks will be required to pattern out before they're ready

But that time is coming/ is the bet

So when it's time to move tanks via skip cycle biology that's quite easy to do, you won't be dosing bottle bac and you won't be testing tediously for parameters, we know how to skip cycle build reef tanks.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1685648680313.png

red sea offered to replace Santii's tank free of charge, so that's added here. This is the level I expect red sea to offer every seam break owner that is a 1st gen owner.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone asked me in that post of hers if I was going to 'sell' the fact they did well on customer service

my answer was no, I'm just going to mention it fairly / good along with the bad evenly, as I'm informed of either status

the reason I would never own a red sea tank even a free upgrade, or 'sell' the fact they did a great job in offering her a free replacement, is because tanks from five years ago were also splitting, the posts are out there for searching older trends that we're collecting now.

I was under the impression tanks made later than ~ five years ago weren't supposed to split, they were the upgrades, the reinforcements?

how many editions does a company have to roll out in order to stop mass seam breaks> time will tell.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, another one. Quite a bit older though. Not the 2-3 year mark

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like this meme - BUT - IMHO - the best way to keep the topic 'out there' is one thread not several, Right? Currently, there are 4+ threads discussing the same issue - some have been started by the same person.
Maybe make it a sticky thread or something? That way answers and comments can create somewhat of a "wiki" and people won't make (or make less) repetitive posts.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is functioning fine as a collective

post #205 is a six yr system, Red Sea will offer no help without big cost is the guess. Six years, max life, an epidemic of Red Sea breaks is in progress it’s disappointing to see their typing about losing animals they really invested in

this is only a fraction of breaks…the ones rtr members know to post. I honestly predict it’s much more than five per week failing, truly a failed production lot for red sea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread is functioning fine as a collective

post #205 is a six yr system, Red Sea will offer no help without big cost is the guess. Six years, max life, an epidemic of Red Sea breaks is in progress it’s disappointing to see their typing about losing animals they really invested in

this is only a fraction of breaks…the ones rtr members know to post. I honestly predict it’s much more than five per week failing, truly a failed production lot for red sea
Let's say the old Red Sea design has/had a problem (I'm not sure that this is the case, as compared to other tanks percentage-wise). That said, I have not heard of any problems with the 'new' refinements.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took down my tank today - I happened to ask maintenance guys that came - they said that issues that people have had affect about 1 percent of the tanks (at most). IMHO - that is higher than I expected. They also said the new changes have ameliorated the problem (i.e. they have not seen any issues with the new design). They estimated 70 percent of their customers have Redsea tanks. Additionally, they said that in their opinion other rimless tanks have a similar incidence of problems.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took down my tank today - I happened to ask maintenance guys that came - they said that issues that people have had affect about 1 percent of the tanks (at most). IMHO - that is higher than I expected. They also said the new changes have ameliorated the problem (i.e. they have not seen any issues with the new design). They estimated 70 percent of their customers have Redsea tanks. Additionally, they said that in their opinion other rimless tanks have a similar incidence of problems.

Your maintenance guys sure know a lot of stuff.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your maintenance guys sure know a lot of stuff.
They explained a fair bit more, but I'm not going into detail. And - yes - they were from an aquarium maintenance company lol one of the biggest in the city - not just regular maintenance men.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They explained a fair bit more, but I'm not going into detail. And - yes - they were from an aquarium maintenance company lol one of the biggest in the city - not just regular maintenance men.

Business analysis whilst changing your water is quite the selling point.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Business analysis whilst changing your water is quite the selling point.
They didn't change my water lol. They were taking my tank down. The topic came up - because it was a RedSea tank - and they asked if it was because I was nervous about the tank failures. The answer I gave was 'partly'. BTW - I said I thought that that amount of failure was higher than I expected. So they didn't actually give a ringing endorsement of RedSea - or any other manufacturer of rimless tanks. And it was only 2 people's opinion. You can feel free to ask one of your local sources for the same information - I only posted what I was told.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my local sources like Premier?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They didn't change my water lol. They were taking my tank down. The topic came up - because it was a RedSea tank - and they asked if it was because I was nervous about the tank failures. The answer I gave was 'partly'. BTW - I said I thought that that amount of failure was higher than I expected. So they didn't actually give a ringing endorsement of RedSea - or any other manufacturer of rimless tanks. And it was only 2 people's opinion. You can feel free to ask one of your local sources for the same information - I only posted what I was told.
Why did you break down your tank? You’re not leaving the hobby are you?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't care - any source. I don't know Premier. Like I said - I only reported what I was told. If you have different information as to the incidence
Why did you break down your tank? You’re not leaving the hobby are you?
Some construction needs to be done - so a bigger tank from upstairs needs to be moved downstairs. I asked about the RedSea issue - because I was thinking I would get a smaller different brand - non-rimless.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - my message got cut off - Sure - Ask Premier. I mean - I meant what I said - I wasn't defending RedSea - nor criticizing anyone else - I reported what I heard. This company sells waterbox, RedSea, Cade and another brand I cannot remember

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sad irony is that given what we know, a tank lasting 6 years might actually be a RS success story.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like we may be reaching a tipping point. These failures just keep coming. Whether it's 2 years or 5 shouldn't really matter. If the expected life span of a tank is only 5 years, this hobby goes down in flames.

Back